Platinum party

Buffettlovertina

Ok I looked but couldn't find answer to this. If you are platinum and get invitation to party but your cabin mate is not. what is the protocol? Can you bring them or are they left out? we have two people in our group of twenty that are platinum this cruise but there cabin mate/husband is not. I am the go to girl for info for them but cant seem to find this info... Thanks

Ok I looked but couldn't find answer to this. If you are platinum and get invitation to party but your cabin mate is not. what is the protocol? Can you bring them or are they left out? we have two people in our group of twenty that are platinum this cruise but there cabin mate/husband is not. I am the go to girl for info for them but cant seem to find this info... Thanks

Invitation is only for the Platinum or Diamond Member. It is by name and does not read "And Guest". They also collected invitations on the Splendor.

Technically no, I have always carried my invite but I can say that only once were they monitoring or looking for it. However, that color of your S&S is a ticket in too, so that could be monitored. No one I have ever traveled with cared that I took off prior to dinner for 30 minutes, especially if I carry back their favorite drink!

We just went to one a couple weeks ago on the Breeze. They did not take our invitations or check our cards when we came in. I know that the lady in front of us was taking her grandson (15ish) and he was gold. Nobody said nothing about it. We left our invitation on the table when we left.

All of my invitations have only said my name so I don't feel right bringing a guest or asking to do so. I figure if it was OK, then they would put +1 on the invitation or list it as a perk under the VIFP section to say something like "VIFP Platinum Party for Guest plus up to one person traveling in the same stateroom".

People have reported asking permission at GS or elsewhere and have been told both yes and no. If I decide to go when I have a cabin mate, they will not be attending. If it would make me feel bad leaving them alone (hint: it won't), I simply wouldn't go.

I am one of the ones that asked to bring my husband and was told yes. They explained that because they did not have a large number of P&D it would be fine. I am sure on a journies cruise with more P&D it could be problematic. As it was the room was less than half full and plenty of drinks and food went to waste.

I wouldn't have asked for just a friend, but I personally feel strongly that social party invitations should always include the spouse. If they had said no, I simply would have passed on the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The question isn't so much can they bring them as SHOULD they bring them.

If passengers don't deserve to be at the VIP party because they are not Diamond nor Platinum, they should not go.

The question isn't so much can they bring them as SHOULD they bring them.

If passengers don't deserve to be at the VIP party because they are not Diamond nor Platinum, they should not go.

You do know that this is the type of posts that give P&D such a horrible elitist reputation, right?

I'm Platinum and actually think the issue is whether SHOULD Carnival issue a party invitation to just one spouse and exclude the other. It's universally rude to do so.

I could care less if other P&D want to ask Carnival for permission to bring a guest. If they say yes, then the guest is welcome. It's not my call. Permission IS an invitation.

You do know that this is the type of posts that give P&D such a horrible elitist reputation, right?

I'm Platinum and actually think the issue is whether SHOULD Carnival issue a party invitation to just one spouse and exclude the other. It's universally rude to do so.

I could care less if other P&D want to ask Carnival for permission to bring a guest. If they say yes, then the guest is welcome. It's not my call. Permission IS an invitation.

Would you claim people who have Premium status with airlines are being elitists if they complained coach passengers just walked in to First Class and took a seat?

On the Miracle my mom wanted to go to the party (she drinks, I don't). I gave her the invite and my platinum card and took her card and free drink coupon. She said they barely looked at the invitation, let alone he SS card.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I am Diamond with a lot of days, often the most on the ship so my situation may not apply to everyone. Over the last year since my wife of 45 years (also Diamond) passed I have cruised with a relatively novice cruiser (she just turned gold). Each time I have asked the C.D. about bringing her to the Diamond and Platinum Reunion the answer has been "of course".

So, since I'm single, I shouldn't ask to bring my non-Plat friend? But if I were married, bringing my non-Plat spouse would A-OK?

Why? Because you're joined at the hip but I'm not? ;)

We're talking about Carnival, here. Don't expect The Rules to be applied consistently, even on the same sailing, from one person to another.

If you feel strongly about it, ask if you can bring someone. But don't get upset if others don't believe that person has the right to be there.

Plat/Diamond ARE entitled to certain things. It's those who believe they should get the perks without earning them that are the ones with a sense of entitlement. People don't seem to quite understand what "entitled" means.

• Like 1

Nope, not elitist at all. But I do believe in what is right and what is wrong.

We earned our Platinum status by purchasing cruises. We deserve to go to the VIP party.

Those who have not purchased enough cruises to be Diamond or Platinum do not deserve to go to the VIP party, which celebrates Diamond and Platinum Passengers.

This is no different than any other loyalty program, be it hotel, airline, supermarket, gas station, etc.

It really is an easy concept to understand.

• Like 1

So, since I'm single, I shouldn't ask to bring my non-Plat friend? But if I were married, bringing my non-Plat spouse would A-OK?

Why? Because you're joined at the hip but I'm not? ;)

We're talking about Carnival, here. Don't expect The Rules to be applied consistently, even on the same sailing, from one person to another.

If you feel strongly about it, ask if you can bring someone. But don't get upset if others don't believe that person has the right to be there.

Plat/Diamond ARE entitled to certain things. It's those who believe they should get the perks without earning them that are the ones with a sense of entitlement. People don't seem to quite understand what "entitled" means.

I said elitist - not entitled. And yes, those are very different and my word choice was appropriate.

And yes, there is a distinction between a married couple and two friends. It has nothing to do with being attached at the hip. Rather, if you read on social manners, it is rude to invite one member of a couple to a party and leave off the other. It's that simple.

But again - I don't break the rules. I simply ask if DH can go. If yes, great. If not, then oh well, we will find something else to do. We work very hard and often have limited time together. Our vacations are times for us to relax and enjoy our time together.

Perhaps someday you will be blessed to have a best friend and partner that you will share your life with.

• Like 1

I said elitist - not entitled. And yes, those are very different and my word choice was appropriate.

And yes, there is a distinction between a married couple and two friends. It has nothing to do with being attached at the hip. Rather, if you read on social manners, it is rude to invite one member of a couple to a party and leave off the other. It's that simple.

But again - I don't break the rules. I simply ask if DH can go. If yes, great. If not, then oh well, we will find something else to do. We work very hard and often have limited time together. Our vacations are times for us to relax and enjoy our time together.

Perhaps someday you will be blessed to have a best friend and partner that you will share your life with.

Some could consider it discriminatory to only offer that if a couple is married. What if they live together? How is Carnival to know if they are married? Do they need to start asking that at check in? If so, some may find that offensive. How do they know if 2 people with the same name are married, siblings, etc. What if they don't have the same last name? See where this is going? It's their party, their rules. And if they intended me to bring someone whether it be my husband or cabin mate, then they should say so on the invitation or list it as a benefit.

I realize you aren't looking to break the rules, but I personally don't agree that it should be up for interpretation as to what they mean or for them to comply with what may be socially acceptable to some. As there's only 1 Platinum/Diamond gift per cabin, the party is intended for the member only according to the invitation.

Some could consider it discriminatory to only offer that if a couple is married. What if they live together? How is Carnival to know if they are married? Do they need to start asking that at check in? If so, some may find that offensive. How do they know if 2 people with the same name are married, siblings, etc. What if they don't have the same last name? See where this is going? It's their party, their rules. And if they intended me to bring someone whether it be my husband or cabin mate, then they should say so on the invitation or list it as a benefit.

I realize you aren't looking to break the rules, but I personally don't agree that it should be up for interpretation as to what they mean or for them to comply with what may be socially acceptable to some. As there's only 1 Platinum/Diamond gift per cabin, the party is intended for the member only according to the invitation.

I get your point but for me, Carnival knows I'm married...the Mrs. as my prefix gives it away! Lol.

You and I have politely you agreed to disagree on this point.

But I can say, now having been to the party, had DH not come, I would have been sitting there alone. Everyone was already in groups when we arrived and no one made any efforts to socialize around the room. It was a strange "party." And because they never checked DH's card, there was no way for anyone to know he only had some 60+ sea days. I'm glad we asked (I feel that is the right thing to do) but really it would have been a non issue.

As I am now Platinum I don't care whether or not Carnival allows non P&D on request. I think as you say, it is there party and they will include who they want.

Why do you think the changes happened on the last rework of the perks? With the reduction of those who QUALITY for the Cocktail party?? Too many, costs etc are reasons. I never fail to just shake my head at those, "excuses" that people claim are their reasons for just ignoring the bottom line and thinking they are entitled to ignore the guidelines.

If you don't qualify, per the written policy, then you should not be going. Simple. It is not that difficult to get platinum.

I get your point but for me, Carnival knows I'm married...the Mrs. as my prefix gives it away! Lol.

You and I have politely you agreed to disagree on this point.

But I can say, now having been to the party, had DH not come, I would have been sitting there alone. Everyone was already in groups when we arrived and no one made any efforts to socialize around the room. It was a strange "party." And because they never checked DH's card, there was no way for anyone to know he only had some 60+ sea days. I'm glad we asked (I feel that is the right thing to do) but really it would have been a non issue.

As I am now Platinum I don't care whether or not Carnival allows non P&D on request. I think as you say, it is there party and they will include who they want.

I would be OK sitting alone, as I have had others come up and ask if they can sit at a table if it's not full. I don't recall people walking around the room really socializing either, but everyone seemed to be in a good mood enjoying themselves. Maybe because I travel a lot solo, it doesn't bother me to sit by myself or engage or sit with strangers.

I can see where some feel that spouses or significant others should be invited, but then it really should read as "+1" or "and Guest" as other invitations such as weddings and other parties to which you refer it being socially acceptable to invite both parties. Even single people get an "and Guest" invitation to weddings. You shouldn't have to be married in order to enjoy someone else's company at a function if it is allowed. That really is my point. If Carnival wants the Platinum or Diamond member to bring someone, then it shouldn't be limited to a spouse, but rather a cabin mate and the invitation should reflect as such.

As far as the "Mrs" on your profile, yes, but how do they know you are married to who's in your cabin? You can't have Mrs and have a family member in your cabin that isn't your husband? What if you had a SIL with the same last name? Should they assume you can't be married because she's a female? No, of course not. What if you kept your maiden name (which many women do nowadays because of careers) and traveled with your brother? Do they automatically assume he's your husband? Your brother would still be a Mr. Or would they assume that because you and your husband had different last names that you can't be married to each other?

All I am saying is that if Carnival wants people to bring a guest, then it shouldn't be limited to a spouse as that can be considered discriminatory. In fact, I should be able to bring my mom as she is more closely related to me than my husband. While marriages can be dissolved, a parent will always be a parent no matter what. So it's a slippery slope.

Yes, we can disagree on this subject. I will say that you did the right thing to ask and were willing to accept the answer even if it wouldn't have been in your favor. It is still my opinion that the party is meant specifially for the person on the invitation. If it is Carnival's intention to let others attend, then they should say "+1" or "and Guest"or "May bring one additional person depending on space availability. Inquire at Guest Services" on it and be listed as a perk under the VIFP program. As it stands, the invitation is person specific and I see nowhere that states it should be different unless it were in writing. It's a perk just like the gift is, not a social gathering for any other purpose than rewarding brand loyalty.

That's the way I feel about it and I'll just leave it at that :). On a side note, I hope all the ports and people are safe so that we all may have places to cruise to in the future.

Why do you think the changes happened on the last rework of the perks? With the reduction of those who QUALITY for the Cocktail party?? Too many, costs etc are reasons. I never fail to just shake my head at those, "excuses" that people claim are their reasons for just ignoring the bottom line and thinking they are entitled to ignore the guidelines.

If you don't qualify, per the written policy, then you should not be going. Simple. It is not that difficult to get platinum.

Actually many would consider it "difficult to get Platinum." It takes 11 week long cruises - if someone can only go once a year for a week, 11 years is a long time. And the loyalty program will probably change 2-3 times before they get there.

I was one of the ones that lost out when they went to 75 days - I was at 8 cruises but many of them were shorter. And with work and 2 small kids, there was no way I could squeeze in 2 cruises to make it happen.

The rules do change and for quite a while there were people who were Platinum on number of cruises yet my days far exceeded there's. So since Carnival can and will change the rules at a moments notice I think people make FAR too much of their status.

Actually many would consider it "difficult to get Platinum." It takes 11 week long cruises - if someone can only go once a year for a week, 11 years is a long time. And the loyalty program will probably change 2-3 times before they get there.

I was one of the ones that lost out when they went to 75 days - I was at 8 cruises but many of them were shorter. And with work and 2 small kids, there was no way I could squeeze in 2 cruises to make it happen.

The rules do change and for quite a while there were people who were Platinum on number of cruises yet my days far exceeded there's. So since Carnival can and will change the rules at a moments notice I think people make FAR too much of their status.

Why would you think, if you only sail once a year for 7 days you should get a fast track for a top perk because you can't attain it with cruising? It is a perk, for those who DO sail frequently and qualify within the written guidlines. IF you don't , then sorry, you shouldn't be included.

These perks are rewards for taking cruises. They shouldn't be available to everyone. I'll still say, 75 days isn't unattainable for many cruisers. It should be something to work toward and not just be easy to get.

Why would you think, if you only sail once a year for 7 days you should get a fast track for a top perk because you can't attain it with cruising? It is a perk, for those who DO sail frequently and qualify within the written guidlines. IF you don't , then sorry, you shouldn't be included.

These perks are rewards for taking cruises. They shouldn't be available to everyone. I'll still say, 75 days isn't unattainable for many cruisers. It should be something to work toward and not just be easy to get.

But you did say that it's not that difficult to get...which is it? "Not that difficult to get" or "something to work toward and not just be easy to get?"

You can't have it both ways...

I miss out on gaining status with my preferred airline because I am a flight or five flights short every year, should they give elite status?