Platinum party

Buffettlovertina

So, since I'm single, I shouldn't ask to bring my non-Plat friend? But if I were married, bringing my non-Plat spouse would A-OK?

Why? Because you're joined at the hip but I'm not? ;)

We're talking about Carnival, here. Don't expect The Rules to be applied consistently, even on the same sailing, from one person to another.

If you feel strongly about it, ask if you can bring someone. But don't get upset if others don't believe that person has the right to be there.

Plat/Diamond ARE entitled to certain things. It's those who believe they should get the perks without earning them that are the ones with a sense of entitlement. People don't seem to quite understand what "entitled" means.

I agree. Should I just grab someone at the bar since I travel solo?

I said elitist - not entitled. And yes, those are very different and my word choice was appropriate.

And yes, there is a distinction between a married couple and two friends. It has nothing to do with being attached at the hip. Rather, if you read on social manners, it is rude to invite one member of a couple to a party and leave off the other. It's that simple.

But again - I don't break the rules. I simply ask if DH can go. If yes, great. If not, then oh well, we will find something else to do. We work very hard and often have limited time together. Our vacations are times for us to relax and enjoy our time together.

Perhaps someday you will be blessed to have a best friend and partner that you will share your life with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is more rude to attend an event that you were not invited to and it is rude to ask your "host" to add an uninvited guest. Ask all the brides and grooms who end up the hordes of uninvited guests and children that show up and were not invited to the wedding.

IMHO, the Diamond/Platinum Party is a nice gesture by CCL to reward loyal Customers. DW and I "crossed-over" to Platinum on our last cruise in January on the Carnival Pride. As Gold, we had attended similar parties on other cruises before CCL made the change. I basically saw no difference between the Gold, Platinum and Diamond party and the Platinum/Diamond party. Lots of free booze and CCL propaganda. The only difference was the party was in a smaller lounge. To the OP, my thought is if you feel comfortable taking another person (who is not a Diamond or Platinum cruiser) to the D/P party then go ahead. Moreover, for what it is worth, at our first D/P party on the Carnival Pride, so many people showed; the crew did not bother to check invitations and I know for a fact not all of the attendees were Diamond or Platinum cruisers. In other words, "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

HAPPY CRUISING!!!

But you did say that it's not that difficult to get...which is it? "Not that difficult to get" or "something to work toward and not just be easy to get?"

You can't have it both ways...

I'm not having it "both ways", I don't think platinum is difficult to get. I cruise multiple times per year, #11 coming up this week- - for this year. Plenty of people cruise multiple times per year.

You are the one claiming-" I don't cruise enough to make platinum."

But it shouldn't be given away and only available for people who qualify for it.

I'm not having it "both ways", I don't think platinum is difficult to get. I cruise multiple times per year, #11 coming up this week- - for this year. Plenty of people cruise multiple times per year.

You are the one claiming-" I don't cruise enough to make platinum."

But it shouldn't be given away and only available for people who qualify for it.

I never said I don't cruise enough to make Platinum - I AM PLATINUM. I was challenging your assertion that Platinum is "not that difficult to get" (and later your assertion that it should be hard)- I dare say MANY if not MOST people are not in a position to cruise 11 times a year. I work (and cannot telecommute because of the nature of my job). I still have a teen at home who has school and sports. I have plenty of vacation, but DH is more limited, but not even to the extent of 11 weeks a year. It seems to me you need a little perspective on what is attainable by your average Carnival cruiser - you know the FUN SHIP FOR FAMILIES.

And here are a couple of other factors all you P&D elitists are NOT factoring in. When we cruise, we are generally with our boys - 2 rooms - a balcony for us and an inside for them. My SON's get the cruise credits, not I, even though I have paid for their room. Whenever DH and I cruise, we are always in a balcony or suite, paying 2 and 3+ times the amount of someone in an inside. Carnival is treating those of you that take the cheapest room possible, spending far less on the cruise, the same as those of us that spend 1000's more. There is no way THAT policy can be justified as fair if you are really talking the bottom line on loyalty to a business - the almighty $.

The loyalty program (in fact most) are inherently flawed for this very reason; it's not "fair." Changing it as they did years ago where people could be platinum after 20 days taking 10 2 day cruises, and then having others, who may have had 50+ days have to take 4 more cruises was "not fair." But the program is what it is. It is not law or code.

All you P&D elitist need to relax a bit. It doesn't hurt you in the slightest if the OP simply asks to bring a guest; Carnival can say no (and will at times as reported on this board) or they can say yes. It never hurts to ask; asking is the polite way to address the issue, rather than simply show up. But this attitude of "it's my party for me for my loyaltiy and I'm special" makes me laugh - you sound like a 5 year old who doesn't want to share their birthday cake. If it makes a fellow P&D passenger more comfortable to have a guest (see the D above who now travels with a non- P&D cruiser due to loss of spouse), be kind and supportive...it's the right thing to do.

I would be OK sitting alone, as I have had others come up and ask if they can sit at a table if it's not full. I don't recall people walking around the room really socializing either, but everyone seemed to be in a good mood enjoying themselves. Maybe because I travel a lot solo, it doesn't bother me to sit by myself or engage or sit with strangers.

I can see where some feel that spouses or significant others should be invited, but then it really should read as "+1" or "and Guest" as other invitations such as weddings and other parties to which you refer it being socially acceptable to invite both parties. Even single people get an "and Guest" invitation to weddings. You shouldn't have to be married in order to enjoy someone else's company at a function if it is allowed. That really is my point. If Carnival wants the Platinum or Diamond member to bring someone, then it shouldn't be limited to a spouse, but rather a cabin mate and the invitation should reflect as such.

As far as the "Mrs" on your profile, yes, but how do they know you are married to who's in your cabin? You can't have Mrs and have a family member in your cabin that isn't your husband? What if you had a SIL with the same last name? Should they assume you can't be married because she's a female? No, of course not. What if you kept your maiden name (which many women do nowadays because of careers) and traveled with your brother? Do they automatically assume he's your husband? Your brother would still be a Mr. Or would they assume that because you and your husband had different last names that you can't be married to each other?

All I am saying is that if Carnival wants people to bring a guest, then it shouldn't be limited to a spouse as that can be considered discriminatory. In fact, I should be able to bring my mom as she is more closely related to me than my husband. While marriages can be dissolved, a parent will always be a parent no matter what. So it's a slippery slope.

Yes, we can disagree on this subject. I will say that you did the right thing to ask and were willing to accept the answer even if it wouldn't have been in your favor. It is still my opinion that the party is meant specifially for the person on the invitation. If it is Carnival's intention to let others attend, then they should say "+1" or "and Guest"or "May bring one additional person depending on space availability. Inquire at Guest Services" on it and be listed as a perk under the VIFP program. As it stands, the invitation is person specific and I see nowhere that states it should be different unless it were in writing. It's a perk just like the gift is, not a social gathering for any other purpose than rewarding brand loyalty.

That's the way I feel about it and I'll just leave it at that :). On a side note, I hope all the ports and people are safe so that we all may have places to cruise to in the future.

I went on 1 cruise as a solo Diamond after my wife passed. At the D&P party, the cruise Director Matey sat with me most of the time. He is a friend as are many CDs. I don't think I would be cruising much or going to these parties if it was as a solo.

I never said I don't cruise enough to make Platinum - I AM PLATINUM. I was challenging your assertion that Platinum is "not that difficult to get" (and later your assertion that it should be hard)- I dare say MANY if not MOST people are not in a position to cruise 11 times a year. I work (and cannot telecommute because of the nature of my job). I still have a teen at home who has school and sports. I have plenty of vacation, but DH is more limited, but not even to the extent of 11 weeks a year. It seems to me you need a little perspective on what is attainable by your average Carnival cruiser - you know the FUN SHIP FOR FAMILIES.

And here are a couple of other factors all you P&D elitists are NOT factoring in. When we cruise, we are generally with our boys - 2 rooms - a balcony for us and an inside for them. My SON's get the cruise credits, not I, even though I have paid for their room. Whenever DH and I cruise, we are always in a balcony or suite, paying 2 and 3+ times the amount of someone in an inside. Carnival is treating those of you that take the cheapest room possible, spending far less on the cruise, the same as those of us that spend 1000's more. There is no way THAT policy can be justified as fair if you are really talking the bottom line on loyalty to a business - the almighty $.

The loyalty program (in fact most) are inherently flawed for this very reason; it's not "fair." Changing it as they did years ago where people could be platinum after 20 days taking 10 2 day cruises, and then having others, who may have had 50+ days have to take 4 more cruises was "not fair." But the program is what it is. It is not law or code.

All you P&D elitist need to relax a bit. It doesn't hurt you in the slightest if the OP simply asks to bring a guest; Carnival can say no (and will at times as reported on this board) or they can say yes. It never hurts to ask; asking is the polite way to address the issue, rather than simply show up. But this attitude of "it's my party for me for my loyaltiy and I'm special" makes me laugh - you sound like a 5 year old who doesn't want to share their birthday cake. If it makes a fellow P&D passenger more comfortable to have a guest (see the D above who now travels with a non- P&D cruiser due to loss of spouse), be kind and supportive...it's the right thing to do.

I've sailed with numerous people who sail frequently. That is what the cheap deals also allow. Everyone is free to book these savings. Same with cabin selections. All kinds of options for booking cabins- a ship means nothing to me. I simply have an itinerary priority. Only thing that matters to me.

Sorry, but it does "matter" with "guests" that don't qualify. Costs are involved with these functions, which I'll still speculate was one reason the party qualifiers were reduced. Along with so many people.

Diamond is a different story, I've always been asked "how many are there with you" when I RSVP to the invitation. Which is still usually a smaller group. Excepting was on the Visita last October and Horizon for the Europe and TA sailing, I'll speculate. 1/2 the ship Platinums and Diamonds, so definately not so "special".

And since you have a negative about the earlier qualifiers who went on few cruises, I was NOT one of them. I only have one cruise in my whole history that was less than 7 days. Plus I am not a frequent Carnival cruiser based on the number of cruises I take. But do find a single Caribbean itinerary I always choose when I want to go on it. Carnival doesn't sail enough places to keep me giving it any priority.

Enjoy the perks working your way to Diamond. :)

The party is really not that great. Its nice to be recognized but its really just the same old party with less people. In some cases now only one party per cruise...

The last VIFP change when gold was removed from the party some at Carnival billed the new party as being 'Brilliant' with new changes. Its the same old party, I never noticed any change. Take someone with you who cares. If they get in great. I will give away my two invitations to friends on my next cruise. Someone else can enjoy my perk. Carnival should look at Royal's program if it really wants to reward its frequent cruisers.

My "friend" travelling with me may just be a friend in another cabin, or it may be my partner, to whom I'm not married. You have no idea whether I'm in a committed relationship or not, so I'd appreciate it if people would not imply that I'm somehow a sad case of a woman who must suffer through life without a wonderful husband. :rolleyes:

Makes me sad that so many women are afraid to do anything on their own - even attending a party for 30 minutes. I love solo travel. I find it very liberating! Sailed with friends last week. Sailing in November solo. I love it!

I'm not elitist, but I am entitled. To my Platinum perks. :D

My "friend" travelling with me may just be a friend in another cabin, or it may be my partner, to whom I'm not married. You have no idea whether I'm in a committed relationship or not, so I'd appreciate it if people would not imply that I'm somehow a sad case of a woman who must suffer through life without a wonderful husband. :rolleyes:

Makes me sad that so many women are afraid to do anything on their own - even attending a party for 30 minutes. I love solo travel. I find it very liberating! Sailed with friends last week. Sailing in November solo. I love it!

I'm not elitist, but I am entitled. To my Platinum perks. :D

(standing ovation)

I don't get this inability to be alone. I prefer my company and that of a good book. Beside what is sadder than seeing couples sitting in silence or staring at their phones during a social event?

(standing ovation)

I don't get this inability to be alone. I prefer my company and that of a good book. Beside what is sadder than seeing couples sitting in silence or staring at their phones during a social event?

It isn't about an inability to be alone at all. I am an only child so by definition a master of being alone. Rather, those of us that wish to bring a guest do so because we genuinely enjoy that person's company - in my case, DH. We spend much of our lives part in the hustle and bustle of the days and when we travel it is specifically so that we may relax and enjoy each other. Our phones are locked away in a safe and we hold hands, chat and share our time.

To us, it is equally mystifying the thought of vacationing without our spouse. But we recognize there are plenty that do it and it works for them. The difference is we lack the judgment against those that make different choices...

The party is really not that great. Its nice to be recognized but its really just the same old party with less people. In some cases now only one party per cruise...

The last VIFP change when gold was removed from the party some at Carnival billed the new party as being 'Brilliant' with new changes. Its the same old party, I never noticed any change. Take someone with you who cares. If they get in great. I will give away my two invitations to friends on my next cruise. Someone else can enjoy my perk. Carnival should look at Royal's program if it really wants to reward its frequent cruisers.

Like !!

The party is really not that great and occurs at a time that I prefer to be out on the deck and still be relaxing before late seating dinner.

But if I were to weigh in on this discussion, if you travel with a non Platinum, they already enjoy the platinum benefits such as priority boarding, etc so why not allow them to also enjoy the cocktail party as well. It only stands to reason

I am in an interesting predicament as I sail solo in a cabin but go with friends. It has taken me 40 years yes 40 years to finally turn platinum on my upcoming Breeze cruise on 9/24. I feel that since it has taken me so long to finally reach this milestone that I should go to the party but I am very shy and don't want to go by myself. My friends are only gold so they won't be invited but I really hope that I can have one of my friends tag along. I guess I will try to bring one with me and see what happens.

I am in an interesting predicament as I sail solo in a cabin but go with friends. It has taken me 40 years yes 40 years to finally turn platinum on my upcoming Breeze cruise on 9/24. I feel that since it has taken me so long to finally reach this milestone that I should go to the party but I am very shy and don't want to go by myself. My friends are only gold so they won't be invited but I really hope that I can have one of my friends tag along. I guess I will try to bring one with me and see what happens.

So, by briningg people to an event that they were not invited, please do not complain when the parties are restricted to just Diamonds and you lose the perk you earned.

Like !!

The party is really not that great and occurs at a time that I prefer to be out on the deck and still be relaxing before late seating dinner.

But if I were to weigh in on this discussion, if you travel with a non Platinum, they already enjoy the platinum benefits such as priority boarding, etc so why not allow them to also enjoy the cocktail party as well. It only stands to reason

Hi there

Hope I can help...the reason it doesn't "stand to reason", is that they aren't invited. When people travel with others who are platinum they are permitted to enjoy some of the same benefits, but not all. To enjoy all the benefits you must qualify.

In similar situations (when not on vacation), you would not take someone to a party if they were not invited. As was mentioned, the reasoning/rationale, whatever, is just another explanation of how some rules don't apply to me. Even those who at least make the effort to ask, are putting employees in the awkward position where it becomes difficult for them to say "no". It isn't just "one more person", so it's OK. It's thousands of people, every week. It is an earned benefit and the more that some take advantage the sooner it will be taken away.

Too bad for the next guy, I guess.

Hi there

Hope I can help...the reason it doesn't "stand to reason", is that they aren't invited. When people travel with others who are platinum they are permitted to enjoy some of the same benefits, but not all. To enjoy all the benefits you must qualify.

I thought you were going to bring reason to the table but I'm not seeing it. Where in the world did you come up with this logical gem? Enjoy some benefits but not all. Really ?

And if this is so cut and dried that only the Platinum member is invited to the cocktail party, why can't anyone pull up anything more official that Carnival forbids these types of people from attending.

This is because Carnival doesn't have an issue with this and allows such people to join as long as they attend with the invited Platinum member

I am not a Platinum yet, but my husband is. I always go with him and we take our kids. If you want, have the platinum show their card to the people who stand at the doors and give the invitation to the non-platinum. They won't tell you that you can't take kids.

That actually wouldn't bother me. The Platinum parties I've been to have been pretty bad with people nearly wrestling over a server for a glass of swill. I would hope the Diamond parties would be nicer.

I've been to a few Diamond Captain's Parties and they have ranged from 125 Diamonds on the Vista to just 2 on the Glory. For all of them, when I RSVPed to the invite, I have been told that spouses, S.O.'s or one other cabin guest can accompany the Diamond guest to the party.

Some were held in the Piano Bar, the Vista was in the upstairs MDR area, and the last one on the Glory was held just outside the coffee bar on Deck 5. All the Captain's were amazingly attentive and easily engaged with us in conversation. I had an interesting chat comparing our Italian Grandmothers with one of the Captain's.

I am Diamond with a lot of days, often the most on the ship so my situation may not apply to everyone. Over the last year since my wife of 45 years (also Diamond) passed I have cruised with a relatively novice cruiser (she just turned gold). Each time I have asked the C.D. about bringing her to the Diamond and Platinum Reunion the answer has been "of course".

^^This! I cruised in Feb '16 with my cousin who wasn't platinum at the time. I went to the reception alone and when the CD came over to chat, he asked why I was sitting alone. After telling him that my cabin mate wasn't platinum he told me to call her and have her come join me

^^This! I cruised in Feb '16 with my cousin who wasn't platinum at the time. I went to the reception alone and when the CD came over to chat, he asked why I was sitting alone. After telling him that my cabin mate wasn't platinum he told me to call her and have her come join me

Oh, FFS, don't tell these stuck up Plat and Diamond snobs this!!! They will try to get the CD fired for having to actually be seen with the lower class! Sounds like a ship that already sunk......

PS----I am Platinum, and the holier than thou attitude they display sickens me. I prefer to hang out with the Reds and Golds:)

Oh, FFS, don't tell these stuck up Plat and Diamond snobs this!!! They will try to get the CD fired for having to actually be seen with the lower class! Sounds like a ship that already sunk......

PS----I am Platinum, and the holier than thou attitude they display sickens me. I prefer to hang out with the Reds and Golds:)

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

I miss out on gaining status with my preferred airline because I am a flight or five flights short every year, should they give elite status?

Yep. I am flying a round trip to Boston in Nov just to make sure I keep my A list status on Southwest. I certainly don't expect them to let me have a pass because I am short one round trip flight. I worked hard for my platinum status.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Your on a 'Fun Ship' tell'em to go.

My husband turned Platinum and then later on Diamond before me. I went to every event with him.

But there's been at least two cruises were we've met other couples and took them to the party with us. At the last party we forgot our invites and had no problems.

We went to our first Plat/Diamond "party" this past August. It was no different than the ones they used to have for past cruisers except it was in a smaller room, not the big theater. We are both Platinum but a couple we met on board was Plat & Blue. They walked in when we did. No one took the invitations. BUT the Blue card holder was technically not supposed to attend.

That being said, it was a waste of time. Yeah we got a free drink (which none of us thought had any alcohol in it) and they passed hors' douvres. They were sushi which does not pass our lips. Several of the ships officers were in attendance and the CD was emcee. They played a short film that showed all the ships yadda, yadda, yadda. They adios...its over. Took about 1/2 hour that we could have been having fun somewhere else. We probably won't go to another one.