Controlled medication

elles5

I am trying to find out about taking Tramadol, Clonazepam (me) and Codeine (husband) into Iceland from UK. I've spoken with the Icelandic Embassy who weren't sure, the Icelandic Medicine's Agency sent me a lot of information but it's quite complicated with no clear recommendation. My GP surgery have offered me a print out of our medication but I'm not sure that's enough. I know Tramadol is banned in some countries and Im really concerned about this. I'm not a hope for the best kind of person, I need to find out what the right thing to do is. Three weeks tomorrow we sail.

I think the only countries where that might be prohibited would be in the Middle East......so just don't go there!

Take controlled substances in the pharmacy bottles...and if you need to carry a pill ashore, simply wrap it in a tissue and put it in your pocket.

I carry my meds in the pharmacy bottles and I carry the printout from my latest doctor's appt that gives my diagnosis, medical statistics,etc and all my current medications. Satisfies any questions about meds but also if something happens, it gives them current medical history in case I were to have an emergency medical situation arise. Better safe than sorry.

Make sure the prescription meds are in their original bottle and you have the receipt from the pharmacy for each of then. I also have our doctor give us a list or our prescriptions on a letterhead.

Since the OP is from the UK, prospects are that the tabs are sealed in printed blister-packs, very handy for going thro' customs etc..:)

I know blister-packs can be obtained in the USA, but this is one area where the US is well behind-the-times. ;p

I don't know about Iceland, but I agree that the main difficulties are in Middle-Eastern countries.

JB :)

Since the OP is from the UK, prospects are that the tabs are sealed in printed blister-packs, very handy for going thro' customs etc..:)

I know blister-packs can be obtained in the USA, but this is one area where the US is well behind-the-times. ;p

I don't know about Iceland, but I agree that the main difficulties are in Middle-Eastern countries.

Interesting John.

So for example, I have a prescription for XXX and it’s a 90 day supply, each individual pill is in a blister pack?

Interesting John.

So for example, I have a prescription for XXX and it’s a 90 day supply, each individual pill is in a blister pack?

You'd be given three strips x 30. This is what we take for longer cruises- either blister packs x28 or 30 pills.

There's no pill counting in Europe now- everything is packaged with the name of the drug on the back.

You'd be given three strips x 30. This is what we take for longer cruises- either blister packs x28 or 30 pills.

There's no pill counting in Europe now- everything is packaged with the name of the drug on the back.

And each pack of 28 tabs is usually four strips of seven.

Seven days in a week, so the absent-minded (or their carer) will know whether or not they've already taken one today.

And each pack of 28 tabs is usually four strips of seven.

Seven days in a week, so the absent-minded (or their carer) will know whether or not they've already taken one today.

First of all, I'm not arguing or being dismissive, just interested in learning more.

What's the reasoning behind this and what happened to lead up to this?

Being a first time cruiser I followed the çruise line instructions about checking on carrying controlled drugs which led me round, via the Icelandic Embassy to an extremely friendly chat with a lady there, to the relevant legislation. It is true that in my circumstances I could take 100 days worth of meds. However it is also stressed that at anytime I can be asked to produce a signed letter from my GP stating that I do need this amount of medication and at this coverage. As far as the Embassy is concerned a print out from the surgery should be adequate but there always the chance thai I could be asked for a covering letter. As our surgery stopped doing patient letters almost 2 years ago, this is the reason I was worried. Luckily the practice has new GPs and I have been able to request a letter for both of us. Carrying anything that can be injectable, i.e. Tramadol capsules when opened up, makes it that bit more likely to be asked for paperwork. Thanks to everyone who replied I am very grateful and always interested inother people's experiences.

Up to 100 days worth of medications in original containers. Bring copies of prescriptions for any questions customs may have.

This rule is specific to Iceland. DW has a co-worker who goes there frequently because of family and has multiple prescription meds for her children.

First of all, I'm not arguing or being dismissive, just interested in learning more.

What's the reasoning behind this and what happened to lead up to this?

It was an EU decision in 1998; everything is now in blister packs, although I haven't checked if some pharmacies still produce those little bottles of aspirin with a screw of cotton wool in the top.. :D

One suggestion was that pill counting still continued in countries where pills cost a lot of money for the patient, so each one was counted carefully; I don't know what the prescription charges are now in the UK because I'm over 60 years, so everything's free.