HAL Shore excursions vs private

Jellybean46

We are going on our first HAL cruise in Asia at Christmas. I have started researching shore trips and contacted several tour companies/guides for ideas and prices.

I am finding that the HAL prices are comparable, if not in some cases cheaper than what the private companies are quoting. As a family of 5 it all adds up and I thought private tours would be a lot cheaper.

Has anyone else had experience of shore tours in Asia? Roughly what prices were you paying and how did you find the ships tours if used?

From what I am reading it doesn't sound like a good plan to just do your own thing in these ports as there are lots of issues.

As an example I spoke to a guide yesterday who quoted me $85 per person for a Hoi Ann trip from da nang, with the marble mountains. The HAL trip is $80, it is slightly shorter but that probably suits us as we have two teenage boys with us and unless its a beach will probably not appreciate the trip for at least ten years!!

Any advice/feedback much appreciated.

Thanks

Tracey

We are going on our first HAL cruise in Asia at Christmas. I have started researching shore trips and contacted several tour companies/guides for ideas and prices.

I am finding that the HAL prices are comparable, if not in some cases cheaper than what the private companies are quoting. As a family of 5 it all adds up and I thought private tours would be a lot cheaper.

Has anyone else had experience of shore tours in Asia? Roughly what prices were you paying and how did you find the ships tours if used?

From what I am reading it doesn't sound like a good plan to just do your own thing in these ports as there are lots of issues.

As an example I spoke to a guide yesterday who quoted me $85 per person for a Hoi Ann trip from da nang, with the marble mountains. The HAL trip is $80, it is slightly shorter but that probably suits us as we have two teenage boys with us and unless its a beach will probably not appreciate the trip for at least ten years!!

Thanks

Tracey

As a rule, HAL will generally be more. However, there are some exceptions - but rare and usually found on shorter tours.

Sometimes HAL buys all the capacity for a certain tour and they will then be the only option.

Advantages of smaller, private tours: fewer people to wait for or get organized - more attention from guides. Less stopping at "factories" for shopping. Faster meal service if meals are included. Ability to change your plans on the fly during the tour.

Advantages of HAL - easy - convenient. All issues will be handled by some one else. If you don't want to have to call a guide on arrival to verify a pickup point, if you don't want to worry about paying a foreign company in advance for a tour, if you don't want to worry about anything, then get a HAL tour - they are always a solid, safe choice.

I have never found HAL to be cheaper for the same tour, sometimes they are close for shorter tours, but you do get some convenience and other benefits of going with HAL.

Not sure what you mean by "issues". I have traveled extensively in Asia and never had an "issue" with a private tour, but I am sure there have been some bad experiences.

Check out http://www.anntours.com/CruiseShipTours.aspx

We have used them with outstanding results in Vietnam.

Thankyou

Will check out the site.

Reassuring to hear of no problems.

Unfortunately it is often the people who have encountered problems that report reviews, whilst the majority have good experiences - I am trying to keep aware of that! Its things like tours/taxis not being allowed in ports/bogus taxis/drivers not arriving for pick ups etc. But Im sure these are minorities and why sites like this are so useful :D

Thankyou

Will check out the site.

Reassuring to hear of no problems.

Unfortunately it is often the people who have encountered problems that report reviews, whilst the majority have good experiences - I am trying to keep aware of that! Its things like tours/taxis not being allowed in ports/bogus taxis/drivers not arriving for pick ups etc. But Im sure these are minorities and why sites like this are so useful :D

As a general rule, private tours cannot get as close to the ship as the HAL tours and you may have to walk or take a shuttle bus to get to the port gate. This can lead to some issues as one persons meaning of "right by the ship" means within 100 feet while another may mean 1/4 mile away outside the port gate.

I suggest only using tour companies with well established trip advisor reputations.

Here is a link to my blog for my day in Da Nang in 2016

http://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-61-da-nang-vietnam/

I compared the price of a HAL tour in Tianjin and a private tour in Tianjin of the same length and same sites. HAL's is $10 more expensive, but I don't have to do anything. With the private tour I would have to arrange the pick-up at the port instead of a hotel. Who knows if their price would then go up. However, private tours tend to be smaller and more personal.

In Singapore and Hong Kong, we do our own thing using public transportation. I read that the Amsterdam had a shuttle bus in Hong Kong where the pier is far from a subway station. In ports far from the city, we prefer ship's tours or a ship shuttle. For example, I would never do a private tour from the port to Bangkok, traffic was awful.

Check out the destination section here on cc and join your roll call to find out what others are doing.

HAL are also offering their best price guarantee where they will refund 110% of the cost if you find the same tour cheaper. Which makes me wonder if they have tightened their pricing.

Its our first cruise with them, the RCCI prices were astronomical in Europe last year, but that is familiar territory to us so felt confident just to wing it. We've never travelled in Asia so trying to be organised, although my daughter who will be with us travelled Vietnam and Cambodia last year with nothing more organised than a sarong and flip flops - maybe I should take a leaf out of her book and chill!!

I think the price guarantee may be difficult to invoke unless you can find the same EXACT tour as HAL's. I don't know if any poster here has tried to use the guarantee.

Ship tour prices vary depending on where you are. In the Caribbean and on Canada cruises, we've found prices on HAL tours to be close to independent. In Europe they're way overpriced--$129 for a half hour bus ride each way and a $20 admission fee to a museum.

Yes I am sure the claim process is very specific and complicated - Probably need more patience and time than I have! Just makes me wonder if they have researched pricing in destinations and genuinely are competitive.

Certainly my couple of mornings of research is not coming up with anything that is making me lean towards booking independently and I do like to watch the pounds - especially with 5 of us. Plus HAL offer a Childs price which many of the independents don't seem to which is an advantage.

Yes I am sure the claim process is very specific and complicated - Probably need more patience and time than I have! Just makes me wonder if they have researched pricing in destinations and genuinely are competitive.

Certainly my couple of mornings of research is not coming up with anything that is making me lean towards booking independently and I do like to watch the pounds - especially with 5 of us. Plus HAL offer a Childs price which many of the independents don't seem to which is an advantage.

Of course you watch the pounds. I just noticed that you're from York (great city!) and Yorkshire folk like to hang onto their brass! (No insult intended. My Yorkshire cousin says that often)

Have you looked for a roll call for your cruise? If it's active, you may find private tours available that way, or at least get some advice. We don't usually do a lot of private tours, but on our upcoming Europe cruise, we have a fantastic roll call and people have organized some great tours, so we've got only one HAL tour booked in 2 weeks of cruising.

Most of the pros and cons of private tours vs HAL ones are well known and discussed frequently on these boards.

Let me add one thing however - by taking HAL tours I am able to use my OBC (on board credit). On some of the longer cruises I end up with a fair amount of this and if I am on a promotion that pays my service charges, using it for tours really comes in handy.

I admit that I like the convenience and security of using HAL tours - one less thing to hassle with on a relaxing vacation.

We travelled in SE Asia, by land, for several winters. We have done numerous private tours in Vietnam, Thailand, and Cambodia.

We typically expect to pay $50-$60 total for two persons for a private tour. That would be vehicle, tour guide, and sometimes a driver as well. I realize that it is very different when you are trying to arrange a day trip from a cruise ship ( we do this often but never took an SE Asia cruise).

In Saigon for example, the going rate for a half day tour (not private-van with about 8 peeople- to tour the tunnels was $18-20. each depending on which travel agency or hotel you booked through.

We found tripadviser forums etc. to be very helpful in identifying tour operators. Vietnam is incredibly well connected. Internet is everywhere. We have used the forum advice for contacting private tour providers in various locale and homestay/tours in the Mekong delta. Always from a city though, not from a remote dock.

Edited by iancal

In China, watch out for private tours that can include forced "shopping" experiences disguised as "educational" stops. Learn about the pearl industry can become a too long stop at a sales emporium. "Clean bathrooms" were also touted to the great relief of passengers on the early China tours, again only to be stuck in a sales emporium far too long.

HAL is good because they tell you upfront whether the tour will include "shopping experiences" or not. And when some sneaky guides try to insert them anyway, HAL bus passengers will soundly protest this.

We use HAL excursions almost exclusively and are always surprised how good the food has been when it is an included part of the tour. Even though we need to go to larger dining settings. (Not always- but that is in countries where the banquet type food is not that great to start with - sorry England/Scotland/Wales, you are the main guilty party)

It has been our happy experience to find those who use HAL tours play by the rules - they are courteous, friendly and always come back at the appointed time - no waiting for stragglers. This is not the case on other private larger tours we have used in other settings. Go Team HAL. And yes, HAL tours always provide appropriate bathroom stops. Which may or may not include "shopping experiences" but are timed to be welcome breaks as their first emphasis. One also assumes HAL has the necessary accident and liability insurance too with its chosen operators, though we have never had to test this.

Yorkshire folk like to hang onto their brass!

Yes we most certainly do!!

We typically expect to pay $50-$60 total for two persons for a private tour.

The quotes I am getting are much higher than this, more like per person and add some. Maybe there is a cruise premium being added ??

HAL is good because they tell you upfront whether the tour will include "shopping experiences"

We definitely do not want any "shopping experiences" :-). With two teen boys these will not be appreciated !!

Thanks for your tips on HAL trips

Thankyou everyone so far, such helpful advice

Our advice would be to arrange tour with a van. Do not pay for a per person rate. Pay for the van. On two of our tours the van and driver were not owned by the tour guide. He simply hired them for the day and paid them something.

The only time that we paid on a per person basis in Thailand, Cambodia,or Thailand was when we were booking through a local travel agency. Tours we arranged by ourselves or had our hotel arrange them were never priced on a per person basis.

We never take cruise line tours. Not interested in waiting for that person who is either in the restroom or still shopping for trinkets and trash. We have found them to be grossly overpriced in Europe. We suspect that they take advantage of people who are concerned about the language issue. In Kusadasi we had a private van, driver, and tour guide for the price of what the cruise line was charging for three adults. There were four of us. We got a personalized tour, no shopping stops, and our guide made certain that we missed the tour bus crowds. Same in many other locales.

Everyone's needs and wishes are different, so I'm not saying one is better than the other. But I do have to chuckle whenever someone says that on private tours you won't be waiting for someone lagging behind as you do with HAL tours. The one and only time we had to wait was on a private tour in St. Petersburg. Someone in our group wandered off and got lost inside the Hermitage, affecting all of us.

As a rule, HAL will generally be more. However, there are some exceptions - but rare and usually found on shorter tours.

Sometimes HAL buys all the capacity for a certain tour and they will then be the only option.

Advantages of smaller, private tours: fewer people to wait for or get organized - more attention from guides. Less stopping at "factories" for shopping. Faster meal service if meals are included. Ability to change your plans on the fly during the tour.

Advantages of HAL - easy - convenient. All issues will be handled by some one else. If you don't want to have to call a guide on arrival to verify a pickup point, if you don't want to worry about paying a foreign company in advance for a tour, if you don't want to worry about anything, then get a HAL tour - they are always a solid, safe choice.

I have never found HAL to be cheaper for the same tour, sometimes they are close for shorter tours, but you do get some convenience and other benefits of going with HAL.

Not sure what you mean by "issues". I have traveled extensively in Asia and never had an "issue" with a private tour, but I am sure there have been some bad experiences.

Check out http://www.anntours.com/CruiseShipTours.aspx

We have used them with outstanding results in Vietnam.

I remember my last "tour" in Vietnam--not very pleasant. Darn locals wouldn't stop trying to shoot me.:)

Thanks

Tracey

In past cruises HAL tours were usually more. Sometimes a lot more. Last cruise we went on HAL not so much. Our current cruise to Alaska in May has HAL tours that are close or lower than local ones we have searched out for. Our TA company actually sent out email listing tours available in Alaska claiming theirs were up to 50% cheaper. When I compared then they weren't.

While some posters claim HAL overcharges and tours are delayed or other inexcusable interruptions abound. We have been pleasantly surprised that they have been good. Plus, and this has happened to us, if the tour is late the ship waits. And any $ spent on the tour eventually get credited back to you in reaching higher Mariner levels.

But it all comes down to comfort level. If you feel comfortable in booking private excursions, then go for it.

Dan

In China, watch out for private tours that can include forced "shopping" experiences disguised as "educational" stops. Learn about the pearl industry can become a too long stop at a sales emporium. "Clean bathrooms" were also touted to the great relief of passengers on the early China tours, again only to be stuck in a sales emporium far too long.

HAL is good because they tell you upfront whether the tour will include "shopping experiences" or not. And when some sneaky guides try to insert them anyway, HAL bus passengers will soundly protest this.

I wish I could say that I have shared your always pleasant experiences with HAL. But HAL has been just as guilty as any private tour of making stops at places without disclosing that they are actually shopping opportunities. Even on the most current iteration of their tour descriptions, I looked up these gems:

In Naples: "A stop at a local cameo factory is included before your return to the ship and the present-day by motor coach." One might think this is an educational stop at which you can see cameos being made. No such. It is a (very expensive) shopping trap offered during an excursion to Pompeii. As that excursion is already very short (4 hours), which includes 80 minutes of driving time, I certainly would not want to spend the invariable half hour given here when I could be spending that time at Pompeii, a huge site.

And lest you think this is a one-off, the wording is even less clear here, in the Sorrento/Amalfi coast tour: "On the way back to Naples, visit the craft center situated at the foot of Mount Vesuvius to see a cameo-making demonstration, time permitting." (bolding mine). You don't find that to be a shopping stop disguised as an educational stop? :rolleyes:

(Also, that particular tour has the honor of two such stops, the other being the ubiquitous inlaid wooden factory stop in Sorrento, as described here: "Sorrento, where you will see a woodworking demonstration." Yeah, sure.....)

I wish I could say that I have shared your always pleasant experiences with HAL. But HAL has been just as guilty as any private tour of making stops at places without disclosing that they are actually shopping opportunities. Even on the most current iteration of their tour descriptions, I looked up these gems:

In Naples: "A stop at a local cameo factory is included before your return to the ship and the present-day by motor coach." One might think this is an educational stop at which you can see cameos being made. No such. It is a (very expensive) shopping trap offered during an excursion to Pompeii. As that excursion is already very short (4 hours), which includes 80 minutes of driving time, I certainly would not want to spend the invariable half hour given here when I could be spending that time at Pompeii, a huge site.

And lest you think this is a one-off, the wording is even less clear here, in the Sorrento/Amalfi coast tour: "On the way back to Naples, visit the craft center situated at the foot of Mount Vesuvius to see a cameo-making demonstration, time permitting." (bolding mine). You don't find that to be a shopping stop disguised as an educational stop? :rolleyes:

(Also, that particular tour has the honor of two such stops, the other being the ubiquitous inlaid wooden factory stop in Sorrento, as described here: "Sorrento, where you will see a woodworking demonstration." Yeah, sure.....)

I had a tour to Pompeii that included the cameo demo. The "demo" was a video on a TV in the shopping area. Few people bought anything. I may have been the only person happy with the stop. I was able to get earrings to match my mother's coral necklace. The coral came from Italy and I'd had no luck matching it in the US. In my defense, I was not the last one back on the bus!

I've come to accept that shopping happens. Sometimes, it's been interesting and I've happened upon a nice keepsake. Other times it's obviously junk, or stuff that's overpriced despite the guide's assertion that he "knows the owner and will get you a good price."

Good point someone made about getting Mariner credits for the money spent on HAL tours. Dec. cruise I earned 4 days this way!

As did I. We don't book Suites so excursions, other spending and number of cruise days is how we did it. Also we get double points for HAL purchases when we use our Barclays card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a tour to Pompeii that included the cameo demo. The "demo" was a video on a TV in the shopping area. Few people bought anything. I may have been the only person happy with the stop. I was able to get earrings to match my mother's coral necklace. The coral came from Italy and I'd had no luck matching it in the US. In my defense, I was not the last one back on the bus!

I've come to accept that shopping happens. Sometimes, it's been interesting and I've happened upon a nice keepsake. Other times it's obviously junk, or stuff that's overpriced despite the guide's assertion that he "knows the owner and will get you a good price."

I know that some folks accept these shopping stops as a 'necessary evil', but I just can't. We all have our quirks. ;pI am not fussed at all about my cabin onboard ship, but what I do care about is maximizing my time ashore to see and do what I want when I'm on a cruise. I don't want to pay for shopping -- that's something I can do on my own time/dime, if desired. (I'm thinking my motto should be: "I'm okay if SHIP happens but not so much if SHOP happens.")

Ship tours are great for some, and I'm glad they have the option to take them. But I think it's a little silly that some pretend HAL doesn't have shopping stops or people who are late back to the bus *ever*.

You are a smart traveler - anytime they say they will be visiting some sort of "craft place", this is a clue, right?. Some are clear they will have "shopping experiences" because a lot of passengers want exactly that. Others are more coincidental stating there will be a restroom stop that is located in a crafts market. Those are not as bad and the restrooms are always welcome. To me that comes with the territory. The ones I don't like getting tacked on without notice are the ones - let's make a detour to my uncle's shop, very best prices. However,

I have been on several HAL buses where we voted against any later offered "shopping experience" uncle of the guide or not. Speak up and protest if this is a detour from what you were expecting, and you will be surprised how many will agree with you. We have found the asian countries to be the most deliberate about these "detours" though Greece and India are right up there. It is a huge part of the economy for tourism dependent countries.

So maybe the "one off" is we had more assertive fellow passengers along than you had on your excursions. One more reason I like to travel with HAL excursions - they seem attract a very savvy bunch to the more "moderate and above" level tours. We don't do the easy sit on the bus tours. We tend to take those that offer hikes, more active and longer distances - they have been uniformly rewarding.

Ship tours are great for some, and I'm glad they have the option to take them. But I think it's a little silly that some pretend HAL doesn't have shopping stops or people who are late back to the bus *ever*.

Trouble just seems to follow you, particularly when you twist other people's words beyond any reasonable expectations. Nothing is ever 100% - always good travel advice and yes, one can be taken. But that is not 100% either My own cruisemom gave me early travel advice - set aside part of your travel budget for "getting taken", so when (not if) it happens, you have already budgeted for it and it will not ruin the rest of the vacation vacation.

You are a smart traveler - anytime they say they will be visiting some sort of "craft place", this is a clue, right?. Some are clear they will have "shopping experiences" because a lot of passengers want exactly that. Others are more coincidental stating there will be a restroom stop that is located in a crafts market. Those are not as bad and the restrooms are always welcome. To me that comes with the territory. The ones I don't like getting tacked on without notice are the ones - let's make a detour to my uncle's shop, very best prices. However,

I have been on several HAL buses where we voted against any later offered "shopping experience" uncle of the guide or not. Speak up and protest if this is a detour from what you were expecting, and you will be surprised how many will agree with you. We have found the asian countries to be the most deliberate about these "detours" though Greece and India are right up there. It is a huge part of the economy for tourism dependent countries.

So maybe the "one off" is we had more assertive fellow passengers along than you had on your excursions. One more reason I like to travel with HAL excursions - they seem attract a very savvy bunch to the more "moderate and above" level tours. We don't do the easy sit on the bus tours. We tend to take those that offer hikes, more active and longer distances - they have been uniformly rewarding.

You are something of an agent provocateur (like our current President) -- you start with a provocative statement and then slowly walk it back.

There's no way your first paragraph in your response above is saying the same thing as your original response, which said "HAL is good because they tell you upfront whether the tour will include "shopping experiences" or not."

I wouldn't say that HAL is telling me upfront about shopping experiences in the examples I posted. Yes, sure, I could read the clues, but only because I am experienced. What of those who are not? Are they just doomed to be duped?

I have no idea what your point is in the last paragraph. I have no control over whether there are "assertive" passengers on my tour, and I also do not tend to take "easy sit on the bus" tours. What does that have to do with HAL being upfront about shopping experiences? :confused::confused: