Internet access

avigreta

We are new to cruising and will be taking the Island Princess Alaskan cruise tour this summer. What is the best and most cost effective way to get internet access? I see they offer an internet package. It seemed rather steep price wise. Is there any advantage to prepay for this? Does this cover internet access in hotels during the land portion? Are there any independent packages one can get to add to your current plan? We have Sprint. Also what kind of cell service can you get on board?

You do not want to use your cell phone for calls while on the ship. Cellular at Sea is $2.49 per minute PLUS any charges from your carrier. Ouch!

The good thing about Alaska is that it is part of the US. That means that most US cell plans will cover you when in port. Just be sure that your phone does not indicate that you are "roaming" by latching onto a Canadian tower. We had no problem and could use cells at no extra charge. See what your carrier charges for text messaging while at sea if you don't want to use internet. Some are as cheap as 5 cents per text. You don't need this to communicate with others who are on the cruise with you--you can use the ship's intranet system at no charge for that.

You get a slight advantage if you buy an internet package before cruising--you get some "bonus" minutes. Service is typically quite slow and yes, it is expensive. The package you buy for the ship covers only the time on the ship. There are usually places where you can get free or minimal cost internet in port--often you buy a beverage and get an internet code that is good for the whole day. But again, you probably have internet service on your phone....and you have things to do while in port.

The cheapest way I know to do e-mail while on board is to buy an internet package. Open and download your e-mails. Go off line. Write responses. Go on line and send them.

In port, use WiFi. Libraries are convenient in many ports and may(?) provide a safe internet connection. For casual use any WiFi will do.

Yes most cells will work , but we have had trouble getting service in all ports from time to time. WiFi calling addition helps.

Internet on ship is slower, but best used late late at night. So, think dial up speeds (should be faster than that), limit up or downloading large files or pix and you can get by with purchasing a few expensive minutes for quick emails.

Read all emails after ending connection

We are new to cruising and will be taking the Island Princess Alaskan cruise tour this summer. What is the best and most cost effective way to get internet access? I see they offer an internet package. Packages of minutes are available pre-cruise and also on the ship. If you book on the ship the first couple of days you usually get 10% bonus minutes. If you book pre-cruise, the price is the same but comes usually with 20% bonus minutes. Some ships are switching to an unlimited use package which has per day pricing.

Does this cover internet access in hotels during the land portion? No, but Internet use in the Princess lodges is free. Sometimes available in your room, sometimes just in the lobby area. Depends on the lodge.

see above in red

If I remember correctly we had WiFi access in the Princess lodges. Not real fast but at least as good as the sloooooooooooooooow service onboard the ship.

Yes, we had free internet in the Princess lodges we went to (Denali & McKinley). We also had it in the Captain Cook hotel

You will see a number of passengers using the internet on the ship. Most of these are frequent Princess cruisers who get an allotment for their loyalty.

Or teens/twenties who are convinced that they can't live without their internet for one sea day!

Or teens/twenties who are convinced that they can't live without their internet for one sea day!

Or retirees who are convinced that they can't live without their internet for one sea day!

I went to breakfast in the buffet the morning of a port stop in San Diego, CA, USA. I was sitting alone at a large table when two couples (of my generation) asked if they could share the table.

"Of course. The reason I am sitting at a large table is because I am hoping to be joined by fellow cruisers."

As soon as these people had settled into their seats, the two women whipped out their smartphones and started poking at them. The two men were there for breakfast. They were digging in. My kind of guys.

One of the women was having problems connecting. She couldn't get a signal. This became frustrating for her to nearly the point of apoplexy. I'm sure I rolled my eyes too loudly--40 years in the IT industry, notwithstanding, I am pretty tech averse. I caught grins from both the men silently saying, "We don't get it, either, but its much easier to live with it than to fight it."

The lady with the problem left the table. A few minutes later she came back. Apparently, she was able to get a good signal in another part of the ship, and was able to drag it back to the table. Now, life was good. She was able to get caught up on Face Book, Snap Chat and one other--she told me.

Ship's internet is expensive, but if you use it wisely it can last quite a while. First, always remember to "logout" after using it. If you don't, and simply shut down your browser, your time will continue to run. When I'm sending emails, I usually first write them in a Word document or in "notes," etc. Then I copy it, sign on to my email, paste the text, and sign back out. I can "cut-n-paste" several emails in just a couple of minutes of internet time. Also, if I'm posting pics to Facebook, I make sure to peruse the shots I want before I sign on so that I'm not figuring out which I want to post after I sign on to the web connection.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem with doing this is that you're not able to interview the folks who

wish to sit down.

Well that's certainly true, Pablo. There have been some uncomfortable meetings. However, since I'm at the buffet, it is pretty easy to explain that I just remember that I am needed on the bridge and walk away with my coffee cup.

Well that's certainly true, Pablo. There have been some uncomfortable meetings. However, since I'm at the buffet, it is pretty easy to explain that I just remember that I am needed on the bridge and walk away with my coffee cup.

I just remembered "I have to go and put more money in the meter..."