Does Carnival allow this?

Lars2014

The area, shown in the photo, is literally about 30' from the edge of the pool. I can't imagine having to put on a shirt/coverup to walk that 30'. What lines require shirts/coverups that close to the pool?

Edited by travler27

See the potato salad and other salads? That doesn't look like Guy's to me, looks like the buffet. I agree, he should have put on a shirt. Funny thing is, I don't know why I think that. Is this less hygienic than all the people who walk past the hand sanitizer? I don't claim to know the answer for those ready to pounce :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To me, it's pretty unappetizing - seeing a big old belly hanging over someone's trunks in a food line. The other thing is, we humans are constantly shedding skin cells 30,000 - 40,000 fall off per hour and some of those would obviously be blown by the wind into the food on the buffet line. If the guy had on a shirt it would catch much of it. Without a shirt - yuck.

It's sort of like people who think it's alright to flush the toilet with the lid up, not realizing they are spraying urine and fecal matter all over their own bathrooms when they do that.

See the potato salad and other salads? That doesn't look like Guy's to me, looks like the buffet. I agree, he should have put on a shirt. Funny thing is, I don't know why I think that. Is this less hygienic than all the people who walk past the hand sanitizer? I don't claim to know the answer for those ready to pounce :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are correct about not being Guy's, but look at the floor and it is clearly an outdoor area which make it most likely the deli just off the aft pool.

To me, it's pretty unappetizing - seeing a big old belly hanging over someone's trunks in a food line. The other thing is, we humans are constantly shedding skin cells 30,000 - 40,000 fall off per hour and some of those would obviously be blown by the wind into the food on the buffet line. If the guy had on a shirt it would catch much of it. Without a shirt - yuck.

It's sort of like people who think it's alright to flush the toilet with the lid up, not realizing they are spraying urine and fecal matter all over their own bathrooms when they do that.

This strikes me as really funny. You are somehow LESS grossed out by fewer skin cells in your food? Eating skin cells is eating skin cells.

That bein said, I have no issues with bathing suits at outside eating venues. Proper attire should be worn inside.

Taken on Carnival Magic, I can't imagine going through the buffet line with this guy.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0KvgebIEAEaf9V.jpg

That doesn't look like a Carnival buffet to me. Outdoor decking, in the background you can see a plastic deck chair, it's outside. However, what Carnival ship has that kin of buffet outside? It has quite a variety of foods. It's not Guy's or the grill on a non-Guy's ship, it's not Blue Iguana, nor does it look like the Mongolian option. So, where is it?

That doesn't look like a Carnival buffet to me. Outdoor decking, in the background you can see a plastic deck chair, it's outside. However, what Carnival ship has that kin of buffet outside? It has quite a variety of foods. It's not Guy's or the grill on a non-Guy's ship, it's not Blue Iguana, nor does it look like the Mongolian option. So, where is it?

It is a pic taken from the news guy currently on Magic. I don't know where outside...not guys as magic doesn't have it.

The photo looks like it was taken at the burger stand. Possibly Guys Burgers. Also looks like fries and a burger on his plate.

The Magic does not have a Guys Burger Joint onboard.

:eek::eek::eek: Who knows this kind of information? Dead skin cells falling off the body?!?!?!

This strikes me as really funny. You are somehow LESS grossed out by fewer skin cells in your food? Eating skin cells is eating skin cells.

That bein said, I have no issues with bathing suits at outside eating venues. Proper attire should be worn inside.

I think you are just on here to argue with people. No intelligent person would want to eat food polluted by thousands and thousands of skin cells from various strangers if they could possibly avoid it. Having most of your skin covered and washing your hands immediately BEFORE going through a buffet line greatly reduces and controls what is being shed during the time you are in line for food. It's just common sense and basic food sanitation. You're not even considering what diseases arrive on food via shed skin cells, such as flu, colds, Hepatitis, Noro virus, etc. Being a chef, I know too well the dangers and this is why I generally avoid buffets. I prefer to limit my exposure to other people's illnesses by limiting the chain of people coming into contact with my food.

The Magic does not have a Guys Burger Joint onboard.

:eek::eek::eek: Who knows this kind of information? Dead skin cells falling off the body?!?!?!

As a chef, I've got expertise in food sanitation, so that's why I know. Want to know why you are supposed to wear shoes in restaurants? I know that, too. I also know how long each item can be on a hot or cold buffet. Sometimes I see these rules being broken. Outdoor buffets are the hardest to manage and require the most vigilance due to the higher outdoor temperatures and other environmental issues not present in indoor venues. Add to that hundreds of people without many clothes on serving themselves from the outdoor buffet and things get much more complicated fast.

I think you are just on here to argue with people. No intelligent person would want to eat food polluted by thousands and thousands of skin cells from various strangers if they could possibly avoid it. Having most of your skin covered and washing your hands immediately BEFORE going through a buffet line greatly reduces and controls what is being shed during the time you are in line for food. It's just common sense and basic food sanitation. You're not even considering what diseases arrive on food via shed skin cells, such as flu, colds, Hepatitis, Noro virus, etc. Being a chef, I know too well the dangers and this is why I generally avoid buffets. I prefer to limit my exposure to other people's illnesses by limiting the chain of people coming into contact with my food.

Not at all, I really did have a laugh about skin cells.

The area, shown in the photo, is literally about 30' from the edge of the pool. I can't imagine having to put on a shirt/coverup to walk that 30'. What lines require shirts/coverups that close to the pool?

Windstar and Paul Gauguin require a shirt or cover up any time you get near any food service area, inside or out. It's just common courtesy.

As a chef, I've got expertise in food sanitation, so that's why I know. Want to know why you are supposed to wear shoes in restaurants? I know that, too. I also know how long each item can be on a hot or cold buffet. Sometimes I see these rules being broken. Outdoor buffets are the hardest to manage and require the most vigilance due to the higher outdoor temperatures and other environmental issues not present in indoor venues. Add to that hundreds of people without many clothes on serving themselves from the outdoor buffet and things get much more complicated fast.

I, in no way, intended to offend, or insult you. But you have to admit, for the ordinary person, that is a VERY random fact.:eek::eek:

Honestly, I don't think TWICE about this kind of stuff, but, with that being said, I have never worked in the food industry. Again, I didn't mean to insult you.:o

I, in no way, intended to offend, or insult you. But you have to admit, for the ordinary person, that is a VERY random fact.:eek::eek:

Honestly, I don't think TWICE about this kind of stuff, but, with that being said, I have never worked in the food industry. Again, I didn't mean to insult you.:o

No worries, I'm not insulted. I just think people need to be more aware of food safety. Sometimes I see stuff on buffets - on ships and on land - that scare the daylights out of me and I know the average person has no idea how incredibly unsafe the situation is. I can't, in good conscience, let others in the food industry get away with things that are not safe. I always think, what if it were my child or my elderly parent eating that? If it would not be fit for them, then it is not fit for others.

Chef,

I am 100% with you on buffets, and and think some of the other issues you mention are much higher risks than that guy's lack of shirt. This is why I avoid buffets when I can, and am careful what to take when I do eat from them. Especially when they are outside.

This is outdoors, and I have been to all inclusive resorts where people went to lunch (buffet and table service) in a bathing suit. Always outdoor poolside. So I don't think this is a case of Carnival "allowing" this.

While I agree it is reasonable, and best for everyone, to ask people to cover up in a buffet line, you can not get Influenza, Noro Virus, or Hepatitis (I assume you mean Hep A which does come from infected food) from shed skin cells.

None are spread in that manner according to the CDC. Let's just say, he could be in a sweat suit from head to toe and still infect many people. If someone had one of these, they would indeed be spreading the disease, but not via shed skin cells. In actuality if this man had any of these, you are more likely to get them from the pool and hot tub. I won't go into detail, but chlorine does not do what you might think. Another concern would be touching the plate under the one he took, since he would have brushed against it, or simply being in line and breathing near him. Two of those are airborne.

Again, I am not defending shirtless buffet attending.

Chef,

I am 100% with you on buffets, and and think some of the other issues you mention are much higher risks than that guy's lack of shirt. This is why I avoid buffets when I can, and am careful what to take when I do eat from them. Especially when they are outside.

This is outdoors, and I have been to all inclusive resorts where people went to lunch (buffet and table service) in a bathing suit. Always outdoor poolside. So I don't think this is a case of Carnival "allowing" this.

While I agree it is reasonable, and best for everyone, to ask people to cover up in a buffet line, you can not get Influenza, Noro Virus, or Hepatitis (I assume you mean Hep A which does come from infected food) from shed skin cells.

None are spread in that manner according to the CDC. Let's just say, he could be in a sweat suit from head to toe and still infect many people. If someone had one of these, they would indeed be spreading the disease, but not via shed skin cells. In actuality if this man had any of these, you are more likely to get them from the pool and hot tub. I won't go into detail, but chlorine does not do what you might think. Another concern would be touching the plate under the one he took, since he would have brushed against it, or simply being in line and breathing near him. Two of those are airborne.

Ok, I'm sorry but this is why I laughed. You can't get on a ship with thousands of people and over think germs this much. Of course they are everywhere. I still say odds of getting something from a guy's lack of shirt are miniscule. We are all exposed to germs of all kinds, everyday. With any luck, our immune systems just fight them off and we are none the wiser.

Chef,

I agree about the pool and hot tub - both potential breeding grounds for disease - i tend to stay out of these on cruise ships as well. But infected persons shed skin cells are indeed infectious. Interestingly enough, many diseases are actually spread this way, not only just in humans, but also in animals - such as foot and mouth disease. This has only come to be understood in the past 2.5 - 3 years due to groundbreaking research at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. People understand they get the disease by touching something an infected person touched - well that includes picking up or inhaling shed and infected skin cells. Airborne skin cells transmit many, many diseases and infections. But don't take my word for it, take the word of the scientist who discovered this: Michael Dillon of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here's what he has to say about it:

"Infectious material can become airborne on skin cells and cause infection when inhaled or deposited directly onto the skin of the new host. This is believed to be a significant source of bacterial infection for surgical procedures and other infections that are a result of treatment in a hospital."

I agree about the pool and hot tub - both potential breeding grounds for disease - i tend to stay out of these on cruise ships as well. But infected persons shed skin cells are indeed infectious. Interestingly enough, many diseases are actually spread this way, not only just in humans, but also in animals - such as foot and mouth disease. This has only come to be understood in the past 2.5 - 3 years due to groundbreaking research at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. People understand they get the disease by touching something an infected person touched - well that includes picking up or inhaling shed and infected skin cells. Airborne skin cells transmit many, many diseases and infections. But don't take my word for it, take the word of the scientist who discovered this: Michael Dillon of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here's what he has to say about it:

"Infectious material can become airborne on skin cells and cause infection when inhaled or deposited directly onto the skin of the new host. This is believed to be a significant source of bacterial infection for surgical procedures and other infections that are a result of treatment in a hospital."

Well I don't want to hijack the post.

The question is does Carnival allow this. The answer is evidently they do.

Again I wish the guy had a shirt on, but if I were behind him in line, it wouldn't bother me.

Regarding your Google results Chef, lets just say. I wouldn't argue with you about anything related to food preparation, food cost, etc. However, transmission of infectious disease clearly isn't a field of expertise for you. Believe it or don't, you can not get noro virus, influenza, or any form of hepatitis from shed skin cells. Not one thing in the study is even closely related to that subject.

Edited by Domino D