Question abut toll road charges in FL with rental car

screenname2004

About 10 days ago, we had a rental car in the Miami area and may have enter some toll roads. If we did, is there anyway we can look up the charges? Or we just have to wait for the charge to show up on our CC by the car rental company?

You can contact the rental car company.

Yes after I entered the rental company, my last name, rental agreement number and the car returned day. It is itemized with date, time & location where the toll is incurred.

Good deal, thanks much for the link.

Yes after I entered the rental company, my last name, rental agreement number and the car returned day. It is itemized with date, time & location where the toll is incurred.

So who do you pay, the rental car company or the toll authority? Or someone else?

So who do you pay, the rental car company or the toll authority? Or someone else?

I rented from Hertz. According to the rental agreement , Hertz will charge me $4.95 per day of rental and what ever tolls I incurred to the credit card I used for the rental. At platepass.com, the daily $4.95 charge is also shown. The reason I created this thread is because I want to close the credit card I used for the rental as soon as possible. If there is no toll charge, I can close it now. But with the pending toll charges, I can't close the credit card now.

I rented from Hertz. According to the rental agreement , Hertz will charge me $4.95 per day of rental and what ever tolls I incurred to the credit card I used for the rental. At platepass.com, the daily $4.95 charge is also shown. The reason I created this thread is because I want to close the credit card I used for the rental as soon as possible. If there is no toll charge, I can close it now. But with the pending toll charges, I can't close the credit card now.

I see, so platepass is just showing you what Hertz will be charging your card.

You can pay the bill online at the website. Just pay it now and then close the cc, there should be no more charges after you pay.

I see, so platepass is just showing you what Hertz will be charging your card.

Platepass will be the vendor on the charge, it will not be Hertz, they just get your CC info from Hertz.

You can pay the bill online at the website. Just pay it now and then close the cc, there should be no more charges after you pay.

Platepass will be the vendor on the charge, it will not be Hertz, they just get your CC info from Hertz.

Thanks but I will wait. I returned the car on the 11/12 and the charge should hit my CC very soon.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps the whole process has changed, but when we did the same thing with an Avis rental, it was Avis who charged us the tolls.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

most of the majors are outlined here

note: the BIG difference is SOME companies will charge the fee for every day of your contract once you use a toll (just once) ....

others charge a fee ONLY when you use a toll and then ONLY for one day (24 hours) .... so using one toll can be a fee of $4 or over $25 depending on the length of your contract and choice of company

AND there are still some that make you decide up front and pay a LOT, or risk their crazy extra charges .....

Would getting your own SunPass avoid the rental car surcharges? You can buy a sunpass for $5 and then you get a $5 toll credit. Once you register it. They are available online or at Publix...probably some other places too. It’s a sticker you could just put on your dash and take it when you leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would getting your own SunPass avoid the rental car surcharges? You can buy a sunpass for $5 and then you get a $5 toll credit. Once you register it. They are available online or at Publix...probably some other places too. It’s a sticker you could just put on your dash and take it when you leave.

Yes, I do it all of the time in Orlando. I check a day or so later and make sure that all of the tolls have registered on my SunPass.

Would the I-Pass from Illinois work down there?

Yes and no. Yes on the Orlando toll roads (with the exception of the Turnpike) starting in the Spring of 2018. No for everywhere else in the state.

having a SUNPASS of your own does eliminate the issue

the $5 rebate when buying the SUNPASS mini was an introductory promotion that expired years ago.

I recommend if you are going to buy a SUNPASS, buy the $20 version which is set up for use in more than one car or moving from car to car. Using a free APP you can add a rental's TAG to your SUNPASS account in about one minute. Properly registered it is highly unlikely the system won't process your toll ..... I've been doing this for years and have also loaned my SUNPASS to visiting relatives for use with their rentals. Never had a problem.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E-10-2014.pdf

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar :

"SunPass customers using a rental vehicle may have their tolls applied to their SunPass account. Customers with SunPass Portable transponders may use their transponders in their rental vehicles. (It is strongly recommended that SunPass customers access their online SunPass accounts or contact the SunPass Customer Service Center to add the rental vehicle subscription to their account for the rental period.)"