Any half day (3-6 hr) Almafi Coast excursions?

Toesinthewater728

If you have any experience with companies offering half day coast tours from Naples please share. On our next cruise we would like to spend 6 hours or less on the coast so that we can have a few hours to walk around Naples as well.

Thank you

Royal Majesty 11/16/12 Bud Light Cruise

Carnival Legend 11/17/13

Carnival Glory 3/9/14

Carnival Dream 10/19/14 WSOP Cruise

Carnival Valor 1/11/15

Carnival Horizon 4/13/18!!!!

The problem is the distances involved. I don't think you could see all that much of the Amalfi coast in less than 6 hours. For most cruise ships with normal port times in Naples, that would still give you some time. But you'd have to talk to a private tour operator to see what they'd recommend doing in a 6 hour period -- probably not the usual 3 Amalfi coast stops.

The driving time alone from the cruise port to Vietri Sul Mare, then along the coast drive passing Amalfi and Positano and then on to Sorrento before returning to the cruise port would take a minimum of five hours under optimal traffic conditions. If you only want a six hour tour you would only have enough time to stop and take a couple of pictures, nothing more.

I'd be surprised if you can get one of the car services to do this, or if they do they'll charge the same amount as for a full day because the popular ones get fully booked with full day fares.

If you'd be okay with a non-English speaking taxi driver, there is a fixed fare trip for six hours, round trip Naples including Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento. This does not cover the portion of the coast drive between Vietri sul Mare and Atrani.

Taxi info here on the city's web site, see the second page of the download: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193

The problem is the distances involved. I don't think you could see all that much of the Amalfi coast in less than 6 hours. For most cruise ships with normal port times in Naples, that would still give you some time. But you'd have to talk to a private tour operator to see what they'd recommend doing in a 6 hour period -- probably not the usual 3 Amalfi coast stops.

I can't seem to send you this as a PM, but as you know I'm no fan of Rick Steve's. There is a very long and entertaining thread on The London forum on Tripadvisor of just how wrong andout of date he gets everything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't seem to send you this as a PM, but as you know I'm no fan of Rick Steve's. There is a very long and entertaining thread on The London forum on Tripadvisor of just how wrong andout of date he gets everything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure what to say to that. As a traveler, I haven't found his books to be factually any better or worse than other, similar guides through the years (e.g., Fodors, Frommers, etc.)

And, for better or worse, a lot of Americans don't seem to receive the same thorough grounding in history (especially history outside the US) as those in the UK (and probably many other parts of Europe). So I like to recommend Rick Steves' guidebooks as a "gateway" to traveling outside the US -- he has a way of making people feel comfortable with trying to do things on their own, which is one thing I feel strongly about, while giving just enough history to keep them interested.

I've used the Oxford Guide to Rome and Rick Steves' Rome. I'm not ashamed to have used either one -- they meet different needs. (And frankly, a lot of Rick's facts seem to be cadged from the O.G. .....) He works with top local guides in most of the cities for which he has guidebooks.

His hotel and restaurant recommendations are usually rubbish. But then I would say exactly the same for other guidebooks. Once a book is written, edited, and published lots can change. (And once people read about the 'hidden gems', they become gems no more....)

Also -- and this may be a different rant -- I find written sources to be a lot more reliable than guides. I know quite a lot about ancient Rome and I never cease to be surprised at the 'fictions' told by a lot of guides to folks who don't know better.

• 2 months later...
why do you want a few hours to explore Naples?

there are so many other interesting areas on Amalfi coast to enjoy

Hello!! looking for a shorter 1/2 day tour on our stop in Naples.

Of the Amalfi coast. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Hello!! looking for a shorter 1/2 day tour on our stop in Naples.

Of the Amalfi coast. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

If you read the previous posts you will see that there is no such a thing. If you want to see the Amalfi coast you need a longer tour. It truly is not worthy or practical to do a half day.

Last October we hired Adolfo Scotto (******************) to give us a 6 hour Amalfi tour. One of his drivers, Mario picked us up at 9. We drive to Positano, then along the coast to Amalfi. We had some time in both of these places but time depends on traffic. After Amalfi, we took the road over the mountains back to the main highway and to Naples. We still had about 30 minutes for a quick Naples viewing and then to our drop off point.

I think 6 hours is the minimum time I would allow since traffic can really mess up a schedule.

I understand the request to do Amalfi in half a day. Our cruise in October doesn't dock in Naples until 11 AM and because it is fall, it gets dark early, plus departs at 9 PM. That makes many of the regular excursions impossible. Any more suggestions?

If you have any experience with companies offering half day coast tours from Naples please share. On our next cruise we would like to spend 6 hours or less on the coast so that we can have a few hours to walk around Naples as well.

We were looking for something similar in Naples for our cruise in October. We have one person in a wheelchair and they are not interested in having to get in and out of the car very much. And we could not do a whole day. Basically a scenic tour for 1/2 day or so tour is what we were looking for.

We contacted several tour operators and were told they do not do 1/2 day tours. However, Mondo Guide said they could put together a trip for us that would be 5-6 hours. This would be "Positano and The Amalfi Coast or through Sorrento's coast, Sorrento, Positano and The Amalfi Coast".

Again, this would be a mostly sightseeing/scenic tour from the car but for us this is what will work. You might contact them and see if they can do something that works for you. The cost is the same as a whole day tour.

We haven't traveled with them yet but they get good reviews on tripadvisor. https://www.mondoguide.it/

The Amalfi Coast is really an area you don’t want to rush. We did an 8-9 hour driving tour there last year and still felt rushed. If you only have 5-6 hours to spare then I’d recommend going to Herculaneum or Pompeii or Sorrento.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums