Any details on Syd Norman's Pour House??

jpc763

Darn. That blues club was the major selling point for the Breakaway for me ever booking it again. Guess it makes it easier to pass.

We were on the Breakaway that first season and really loved Fat Cats.

I would hope that since they are sailing out of New Orleans this next season they might have some great jazz musicians from there somewhere on the ship. We have cruised from NOLA at least once a year for the last few years.

I recall that our first cruise out of NOLA some years ago had some great 'local' entertainment. I haven't noticed any Jazz musicians onboard the last couple of years:(

We were on the Breakaway that first season and really loved Fat Cats.

I would hope that since they are sailing out of New Orleans this next season they might have some great jazz musicians from there somewhere on the ship. We have cruised from NOLA at least once a year for the last few years.

I recall that our first cruise out of NOLA some years ago had some great 'local' entertainment. I haven't noticed any Jazz musicians onboard the last couple of years:(

This is a really good point. Sailing from NOLA, I wonder if they will have Blues somewhere on the ship.

On the Breakaway in August, there was a show called "Rock the Pour House" at Syd Normans. I'm not sure if that was the name of the band, or the show. Anyway, the band featured a singer named Mig, who was a contestant on a reality show "Rockstar: INXS". He was high energy, and a lot of fun.

The band played all sorts of Rock & Roll favourites. The venue reminded me of a neighbourhood bar. The drinks were good. The venue was always full, but people did come and go, so if you wait a bit, you could get a seat, and move even closer to the stage as other people get up and leave.

Syd Normas was one of my favourite spots on the Norwegian Breakaway.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed on Breakaway in August.

Stumbled onto Syd Norman's part way through cruise and regretted not having discovered it sooner.

What a great evening of entertainment after dinner!

The band was impressive, lead singer Mig and female keyboards/vocals (her name escapes me) were incredibly talented.

Both were very engaged with the audience.

Was great to hear rock tunes from the past.

Was standing room only by the last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Last update was August cruises.

Any current info on the band/entertainment in Syd's?

I grew up loving the Fat Cats bands but going on Breakaway and will certainly be checking out the new venue.

Performers change so just wondering what's happening in Syd's Pour House in October?

• 4 weeks later...

Just came back from an 11 day Caribbean Cruise on the Breakaway.  The band playing at Syd Norman's Pour House was really good.  We went there 4-5 times and I'd say at least 50% of the setlist was different every night.  I'm an experienced musician so I'm generally very critical of live acts.  The nights when the Rock of ages performers joined-in were by far the best but overall it was very good.  Lead singer is fairly new I believe -  his name is Timmy - and based on youtube clips I found of the previous ones,  he sounds much better than them.  His version of Springsteen's Born to Run and Hungry Heart was spot on.  Musicians were great too.  Having been on 2 previous cruises on the EPIC, I think the switch from Blues to Rock is a HUGE PLUS, as it serves a different audience from the other performers (Cocktail, Jazz, etc.).  I love blues but I never felt that the shows at Slam were a great experience: audience was old, dull, quiet and boring.   

Another act playing there was the "3 tenors of rock"; basically 3 rock singers playing over 'karaoke style' tracks.  The singers were good but I personally don't have much interest if the music is not live.  I expect more/better from the NCL entertainment team.  The 3 singers were there as spectators often when the live band was playing, they should have been incorporated in the sets, especially the nights when the ROA performers weren't there.  Sounds like a no brainer, maybe it's in the works.  

Here is a list of song the live band played at Syd Norman's pour pour house: 

(If you are interested, I created a Spotify public playlist: 

Lights    Journey•Infinity
Listen To The Music    The Doobie Brothers•Toulouse Street
Surrender    Cheap Trick•Heaven Tonight
Do It Again    Steely Dan•Can't Buy A Thrill
Reelin' In The Years    Steely Dan•Citizen 1972-1980
Modern Love - Single Version [Remastered]    David Bowie•Legacy (Deluxe Edition)
Have You Ever Seen The Rain?    Creedence Clearwater Revival•Pendulum
Jack & Diane    John Mellencamp•American Fool
The Joker    Steve Miller Band•The Joker
Come Sail Away    Styx•Gold
Carry on Wayward Son    Kansas•Leftoverture
Go Your Own Way - 2004 Remastered Edition    Fleetwood Mac•Rumours (Super Deluxe)
Waiting For A Girl Like You    Foreigner•4 [Expanded]
Cold As Ice    Foreigner•Foreigner [Expanded]
Desperado - Remastered    Eagles•Desperado (Remastered)
New Kid In Town - Remastered    Eagles•The Very Best Of The Eagles (Remastered)
Take It Easy - Remastered    Eagles•Selected Works (1972-1999)
Hungry Heart    Bruce Springsteen•The River
Born to Run    Bruce Springsteen•Born To Run
Barracuda    Heart•Little Queen
Piece of My Heart    Big Brother & The Holding Company, Janis Joplin•Cheap Thrills
Dream On    Aerosmith•Aerosmith
You Shook Me All Night Long    AC/DC•Back In Black
Hold the Line    Toto•Toto
Heartbreaker    Pat Benatar•In The Heat Of The Night
Livin' On A Prayer    Bon Jovi•Slippery When Wet
Jump - 2015 Remastered Version    Van Halen•1984 (Remastered)
Bennie And The Jets - Remastered 2014    Elton John•Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Remastered / Deluxe Edition)
Brown Sugar    The Rolling Stones•Sticky Fingers (Remastered)
Come Sail Away    Styx•Greatest Hits
With Or Without You - Remastered    U2•The Joshua Tree (Deluxe)
The Boys Are Back in Town    Thin Lizzy•Jailbreak (Deluxe Edition)
Total Eclipse of the Heart    Bonnie Tyler•The Very Best Of Bonnie Tyler
I Just Wanna Stop    Gino Vannelli•Brother To Brother
Take Me Home, Country Roads - Rerecorded    John Denver•The John Denver Collection, Vol. 1: Take Me Home Country Roads
Ride Like the Wind    Christopher Cross•Rhino Hi-Five: Christopher Cross
Baby Come Back    Player•Best of Player
What A Fool Believes    The Doobie Brothers•Minute By Minute
Taking it to the streets    The Doobie Brothers•Minute By Minute
Jump - 2015 Remastered Version    Van Halen

No reservations  possible in this venue, I believe. The crowd gets bigger as the cruise advances so by the end we had to show up one hour early to as a good seated spot (especially since the howl at the moon act was very weak on our cruise. Yes open every night. Some nights it’s just the band, other nights it’s the band plus the performers from rock of ages, other nights it’s the tenors of rock.

15 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

No reservations?? How early to get there to find a seat??   Open every night?  thanks, we will be onboard in February.

No reservations  possible in this venue, I believe. The crowd gets bigger as the cruise advances so by the end we had to show up one hour early to as a good seated spot (especially since the howl at the moon act was very weak on our cruise. Yes open every night. Some nights it’s just the band, other nights it’s the band plus the performers from rock of ages, other nights it’s the tenors of rock.

• 9 months later...

If you lke rock and roll you will ove Syd Norman;s. It is this is one of the best changes NCL has ever made. The house band is a talented group of 9 rock and rollers. The band plays on stage while the singers are all over the club interacting with the audience. Lots of fun. We just got off the Breakaway and rebooked for later this moth primarily because of Syd Norman's. The house band plays 5 nights while a tribute band pays the other 2. I hope NCL will add this to other ships in it's fleet. We had a great time.

43 minutes ago, joel0719 said:

If you lke rock and roll you will ove Syd Norman;s. It is this is one of the best changes NCL has ever made. The house band is a talented group of 9 rock and rollers. The band plays on stage while the singers are all over the club interacting with the audience. Lots of fun. We just got off the Breakaway and rebooked for later this moth primarily because of Syd Norman's. The house band plays 5 nights while a tribute band pays the other 2. I hope NCL will add this to other ships in it's fleet. We had a great time.

Snap. We got off Breakaway on 25 August and already looking to book again for May. We loved Syd Norman's - really good live music venue. Definitely part of our decision to book again. 

• 2 years later...

Just off the Breakaway on November 7th, 2021 and I must say this show is amazing!!! We were big Howl at the Moon Fans, but not anymore.  We didn't go to this show until mid-week and I am sorry we didn't go sooner.   Best Fleetwood Mac cover band!!  Prom Night was a blast, lol.  Performers were awesome.  Hope NCL add this show to more ships ASAP.  

• Like 1