How to request a mattress topper and top sheet

Royal has not carried the FOAM toppers for the last couple of years. I have requested and received a mattress topper on every recent cruise. I had spine and hip surgery and need the extra padding on their hard beds. Prior to surgeries I had no issues with their beds. I just requested topper for our April cruise from Special Needs yesterday. Also request no feather pillows in cabin due to allergies. Some cruises request is already handled when we board other times done while at dinner.

I guess it depends on what ship you are on.

We are currently on the Oasis and there is a foam egg crate on our mattress. We didn’t even request it.

RI just requested topper for our April cruise from Special Needs yesterday. Also request no feather pillows in cabin due to allergies. .

I am allergic to feather pillows too. I am new to RCCL. Do the cabins normally have down pillows? Do I have to make a special request for synthetic pillows?

And I still don't know what a "top sheet" is....

Bedding usually comes in sets.

Bottom sheet - A sheet that covers and is tucked in all around the mattress. This is the sheet that you lie on.

Top sheet - A second sheet that is tucked in only at the bottom of the mattress and is placed over the bottom sheet. A blanket or comforter is usually placed over the top sheet. Most people sleep between the top sheet and the bottom sheet.

Evidently, RC does not always place a top sheet on their beds and guests have to sleep between the bottom sheet and the blanket. Some of us, me included, prefer to sleep under a top sheet. So, I too will request a top sheet for my upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And I still don't know what a "top sheet" is....

I do not recall RC not having a top sheet, but it is Princess's policy to just use the bottom sheet with a duvet. On Princess, you definitely have to ask the steward to add a top sheet and blanket the first night, if that is your preference.

They quickly comply, so they are used to the request. When I read the OP, I assumed the poster had sailed Princess previously.

Not sure, but isn't the duvet only more a European style of making a bed?

I know they "probably" change the duvet cover after each guest, but something in me still wants a clean sheet between it and me.

I do not recall RC not having a top sheet, but it is Princess's policy to just use the bottom sheet with a duvet. On Princess, you definitely have to ask the steward to add a top sheet and blanket the first night, if that is your preference.

They quickly comply, so they are used to the request. When I read the OP, I assumed the poster had sailed Princess previously.

Not sure, but isn't the duvet only more a European style of making a bed?

I know they "probably" change the duvet cover after each guest, but something in me still wants a clean sheet between it and me.

On Anthem there is a sheet above and below the duvet in addition to the bottom sheet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Beds are a VERY subjective and personal thing, both my wife and I sleep much better on a firm bed than a soft one. I personally feel like I am being almost restrained if I sink very much into the bed. If I have to choose between a extra firm or a medium I choose the extra firm every time. It's easier to make a firm bed medium than a medium or soft I would think, but that would require them to keep the pads on hand I guess.

That is a cliche and a bit of a copout. The mattresses that have began showing up in 2015 were the hardest I've ever seen anywhere after many cruises and thousands of hotel nights. I suspect Royal got a good deal on a new brand and bought in big quantity.

Bedding usually comes in sets.

Bottom sheet - A sheet that covers and is tucked in all around the mattress. This is the sheet that you lie on.

Top sheet - A second sheet that is tucked in only at the bottom of the mattress and is placed over the bottom sheet. A blanket or comforter is usually placed over the top sheet. Most people sleep between the top sheet and the bottom sheet.

Evidently, RC does not always place a top sheet on their beds and guests have to sleep between the bottom sheet and the blanket. Some of us, me included, prefer to sleep under a top sheet. So, I too will request a top sheet for my upcoming cruise.

I see no reason to ask for a "top sheet" as there will already be one on the bed. I'm not sure where you came up with your "evidently" statement. I've been on Navigator twice, Freedom twice, and Oasis twice, and every single time there was a flat sheet between the fitted sheet and the comforter.

Making such a request is likely to confuse the room steward, who, like me, will think that you literally want a sheet on top of the entire bed for some obscure reason.

I have never in 20 + years NOT had a top sheet.

That's what confused me.... I've NEVER experienced a bed in a hotel or on a cruise ship that DIDN'T have a flat sheet underneath the bedspread / comforter / blanket.

I've been cruising since the 1980s, and I've been on Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, and Royal, and there has ALWAYS been a sheet to go over my body and under the blanket.

Allure in May. I called RCCL special needs department today and asked about extra foam for bed (I am the original Princess and the Pea) with disc issues. I usually bring 2 extra foams in case when traveling. But flying in that is impossible.

They told me that a topper was already on beds. If mattresses were as good as Celebrity's in 2012 nothing extra would be needed. They gave every cabin info about how you could order those mattresses.

We are in an accessible cabin so that may be why they said a topper was on.

I will definitely follow up with email now that I hear the beds are hard. I can find them hard when most do not. So if hearing this many complain, I know will be an issue for me. I will be in the cabin in bed a lot of the trip so must work out. I hope that does not mean we will have to include toppers or foam in the large amount of necessary medical luggage we are already flying in with.

I also asked about pillows today as have severe neck problems and have to have a pillow that suits. I was told by special needs that all the pillows onboard are the same- a hypoallergenic poly-fill. Can anyone dispute this? I have not even tried to sleep on polyfill in many years. I see a potential problem with pillows also. I sleep with memory foam pillows and shredded memory foam pillow for neck. I can usually make a feather pillow work in a pinch. But identical polyfill pillows with no variety is a big problem. I am frankly concerned now.

Love to hear what others are experiencing on the Allure as far as mattresses go. I do not understand why there is so much variance in answers and experiences ship to ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Let us know if you got one. I've never had a problem in over 10 years cruising on RCL but this year the beds on Anthem were so hard (not firm but hard like a rock) that I woke up in pain after a night of tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. Was told no toppers except in suites but the cabin attendant put a few comforters under the bottom sheet. I also got so many pillows when I requested 2 more that I was prepared to line them up and sleep atop them if needed. I managed with the extra comforters so never got to try the pillows. By the way, I've been on Anthem 3times before this last cruise and never found the mattresses uncomfortable so I don't know what changed in the last year but it wasn't good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we just got back and Yes they put a topper on our bed. I still found the bed a little harder then I would like, but survived and had a great vacation! Our adult kids had a room and did not get the same topper we had , on their beds, also the couch pull out was very hard , the staff tried putting a few comforters on it to help soften it but it was not comfortable at all. They ran out of mattress toppers, I guess they only have a few ( they said).

They did say they ordered all their mattresses from the same place for every ship but I have to say I found The Freedom beds far more comfortable then I just did on The Anthem. But all in all , we were away and all together and had a great time .

I do not understand why there is so much variance in answers and experiences ship to ship.

It´s because sleeping habits vary as much as taste varies when it comes to rating the food. You simply can´t please everybody all the time.

Mattresses vary from ship to ship and even from cabin from cabin as they vary in age. You don´t get a new mattress on all ships in all cabins at the same time and as they change over the time used you´ll find variety.

While I keep reading about RCI´s beds being too hard I personally find them rather on the soft side and woudl wish for a harder bedding. See how different we all are.

So we just got back and Yes they put a topper on our bed. I still found the bed a little harder then I would like, but survived and had a great vacation! Our adult kids had a room and did not get the same topper we had , on their beds, also the couch pull out was very hard , the staff tried putting a few comforters on it to help soften it but it was not comfortable at all. They ran out of mattress toppers, I guess they only have a few ( they said).

They did say they ordered all their mattresses from the same place for every ship but I have to say I found The Freedom beds far more comfortable then I just did on The Anthem. But all in all , we were away and all together and had a great time .

So glad to hear that you got a topper. I’m going to add it to my special needs request next cruise. Thanks for reporting back!

Sent from my iPad using Forums