Our Hawiian Miracle cruise

HectorAchilleus

Just a short cruise review. Ask questions if you wish.

We and three other couples choose this trip because we like a lot of sea days, wanted to see Hawaii again without the grueling flight, and considered it a great value. We flew in from Pittsburgh on a direct flight to LAX a day early - somewhat surprised how many others on this flight were also on this cruise. We stayed at the Queen Mary, which was fun, historic, and very close (walking distance.). Everyone in our group was retired except for myself. I am 68, my wife 64 and we were in the younger 25% of this cruise. I thought we were on a Holland cruise again.

My wife and I are Diamonds, two other couples got FTTF, and the fourth couple did not think it was worth the money. I have to say that on this cruise, they were probably right. At the Diamond lunch we talked to the Hotel manager, and he said that there were 78 Diamonds, over 700 Plats, and over 250 FTTF. The ship only holds about 2100 people, so if you add in the Suites, about half of the passengers were priority at some level.

We all had the earliest check-in time of 12:30, so we arrived at noon thinking that we would get right on the ship. It was a little disorganized, and they were already into the zones. We got into a LONG priority line, whereas the regular line seemed to be moving very rapidly. We all managed to get on about the same time, with the non-FTTF friends only about 10 minutes after the FTTF friends. We were all able to go right to our cabins because it was after 1:30 by the time we made it on the ship.

The food on this cruise was very good. Our friends who do not cruise as often as we do thought it was fantastic. We all agreed, however, that the deserts were a disappointment (with a few exceptions.) The Chocolate melting cake was okay, but how many nights in a 15 night cruise do you want the same desert. We loved the Key Lime Pie at lunch, however - but they only had it once. Pizza was great. No Guys, but the burgers were okay, and we liked the chicken fingers which are not available on most ships with Guys.

We loved this ship. Yes it was old, but there were plenty of places to get by yourself, a sensible layout, almost no line (except at GS and tendering) and a wonderful staff. We always enjoy Spirit class vessels over the larger mega-ships and there over-crowded public areas.

Entertainment was exceptional. Greta comedians, good shows (especially the Magician and hypnotist) and one of the best rock bands that I have ever heard on a ship called the Liverpool pub band. Three brothers and a life-long friend playing some great stuff. Large enthusiastic crowds every night. Lots of trivia, etc. Always something to do.

We all had Deck 4 partially-obstructed view French balconies. A great value. Not much of a view, but a large room with a couch and doors you could open and tase the salt sea. We chose morning service. Not crazy about having to decide and I wonder how the had the nerve to increase gratuities and reduce service. But our Room Steward was effient and nice. We are going on this same ship and room in February, and are looking forward to seeing him again. I know that I could have chosen twice a day, but they work so hard that I did not have the heart to do so.

Two things that I was not happy about was the Guest services line and the Tendering. I relate both of these to the exceptional number of priority people on this ship. Our friends who had FTTF and us had to wait a long time in lines at GS while the regular lines went a lot faster. This was due to the fact that they had two or three people on the regular line but only pone at the FTTF line. Sometime the FTTF line was actually longer than the regular line, yet they never moved another person over. It was no big deal though. we would just return later, or wait it out. Our FD TTF friends were not happy, however. They actually paid extra for this and had the non-FTTF cabin get taken care of way before they did on one occasion. I told them they could relate their issue with GS, but they said they were not going back in that line again.

Ports were wonderful - but what else would you expect from Hawaii. We rented cars in each port and did out own excursions - saved a lot of money. The only exception was Kona where we used the $10.00 hop-on bus. Good choice there.

Leaving the ship was easy. We had a late flight and just waited until the last call and walked right off. No customs form on this port

How was the sea water on your sailing from LA and back at this time of the year?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same question from us.....would LOVE to take a round trip to/from Hawaii on a cruise....but the roughness of the Pacific has scared us off. The few cruises we have taken on the Pacific have had quite 'rough' water and even the crew advised us to steer clear of Pacific 'crossings'. Let us know how you found the crossing - sea wise!!

How was the sea water on your sailing from LA and back at this time of the year?

this above. I said that we like sea days and expected Caribbean days at sea. Well, it was too windy on the trip our to Hawaii to even go outside. Thirty-foot waves, several in our group sea-sick, cold and miserable outside. The fourth day was a little better. On the four-day return, the water was not too choppy and it was a little warmer, but I had any pool I wanted to myself, It had warmed up to the low sixties, but it was still very breezy.

We still enjoyed it, but not what I expected.

this above. I said that we like sea days and expected Caribbean days at sea. Well, it was too windy on the trip our to Hawaii to even go outside. Thirty-foot waves, several in our group sea-sick, cold and miserable outside. The fourth day was a little better. On the four-day return, the water was not too choppy and it was a little warmer, but I had any pool I wanted to myself, It had warmed up to the low sixties, but it was still very breezy.

We still enjoyed it, but not what I expected.

Love the sea days too but not the kind you had going to the islands. Glad you still enjoyed the cruise. Thanks!

Was this for the December cruise? If so, we were on the same cruise. There weren't 250 fttf people. Based on the number of Diamond (83) & Platinum (over 800), there was no way that Carnival would sell 250 fttf. There were much less. It was only opened for one round of less than 50 bookings.

Also the Hotel Director wasn't at the Diamond Luncheon. He was at a conference and didn't join the ship until Hawaii.

There also weren't 30' waves. They were less. Most people who were getting seasick were the East Coast and Caribbean cruisers who are used to calmer seas which the Pacific isn't. As a West Coast cruiser, the waves were what we expected. Some years the water is calm and clear skies and other years it is rough and stormy, with this year being in the middle.

Nice report...when we went to Hawaii RT 2 yrs ago on the Grand Princess the second night out a member of the kitchen staff jumped overboard and we had to spend 36 DAYLIGHT hrs looking for him and missed one and a half ports. The ocean was pretty calm....

Was this for the December cruise? If so, we were on the same cruise. There weren't 250 fttf people. Based on the number of Diamond (83) & Platinum (over 800), there was no way that Carnival would sell 250 fttf. There were much less. It was only opened for one round of less than 50 bookings.

Also the Hotel Director wasn't at the Diamond Luncheon. He was at a conference and didn't join the ship until Hawaii.

There also weren't 30' waves. They were less. Most people who were getting seasick were the East Coast and Caribbean cruisers who are used to calmer seas which the Pacific isn't. As a West Coast cruiser, the waves were what we expected. Some years the water is calm and clear skies and other years it is rough and stormy, with this year being in the middle.

You are right, I am probably off on some of the specifics. The person I talked to may not have been the hotel director, but she was wearing a white uniform, so I just assumed. She did say, however, that there were over 200 FTTF, and the people we were with did not seem to have trouble getting it. The point was that there were a ton of priority people on this cruise. Even your numbers support this point.

Obviously, no one was out measuring the waves with a meter stick, but they were huge. One night it was difficult walking the halls. I have no idea which coast people who were sick from, but there were a lot who were not feeling well, including six of our eight from Pittsburgh. I apologize if I did not speak in specifics. I was just making my observations. If you were on the cruise, you have to admit that there were not many on the decks or pools on the sea days, which is what the people wanted to know.