Price drops in the UK

sandancer

In the past we have been given a lower cost on a cruise when the price had dropped. When we book in the US we can get the lower price and keep the perks but we now have a cruise with a UK agent and the price has dropped. Anyone had any luck with a UK booking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The commercial offering from the main cruise operators differs from market to market whether UK, Canada, Australia, USA etc. There are different deposit arrangements, different amendment fees, different cancellation penalties and so on. The first time we booked from the UK with a US agent many years ago we had to provide a US address and we were charged in dollars and followed the US Ts & Cs which actually meant we could change our booking without loss of deposit or even an amendment fee.

On a recent enquiry to one of the large well known US cruise agencies, we were advised that they were happy to handle our booking but we we would be booked according to the UK Ts & Cs. Some of the cruise lines are trying to plug the gap and I think I read somewhere that some cruise lines will not let their US agents make bookings for non US residents.

We were told no and the cruise dropped considerably the same week we booked. We cancelled lost the deposit but still ended up better off than had we stuck with original booking. Since we have been cruising it has never been the case in the UK we were able to get price drops, I thought you could get an upgrade to a higher category though. Which is what we done a few years ago only to Concierge from Balcony but better than nothing. Not sure if that is still the case though. We have only cruised four times in the last 8 years but twice the price dropped and we were unable to take advantage of the drop..

That’s what I thought. Can definitely remember this from a few years ago. I thought I saw a post about someone getting an upgrade when prices dropped. We have a cruise booked with our US TA also and recently were able to move to a cabin in a better location (same cat) get a price drop and keep all our perks inc a very decent amount of obc from the agent. If only the pound would pick itself up from the doldrums we would be on a roll.

The commercial offering from the main cruise operators differs from market to market whether UK, Canada, Australia, USA etc. There are different deposit arrangements, different amendment fees, different cancellation penalties and so on. The first time we booked from the UK with a US agent many years ago we had to provide a US address and we were charged in dollars and followed the US Ts & Cs which actually meant we could change our booking without loss of deposit or even an amendment fee.

On a recent enquiry to one of the large well known US cruise agencies, we were advised that they were happy to handle our booking but we we would be booked according to the UK Ts & Cs. Some of the cruise lines are trying to plug the gap and I think I read somewhere that some cruise lines will not let their US agents make bookings for non US residents.

We book all our cruises through a US TA and have never been told anything like that thank goodness.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s what I thought. Can definitely remember this from a few years ago. I thought I saw a post about someone getting an upgrade when prices dropped. We have a cruise booked with our US TA also and recently were able to move to a cabin in a better location (same cat) get a price drop and keep all our perks inc a very decent amount of obc from the agent. If only the pound would pick itself up from the doldrums we would be on a roll.

Yes, far more flexibility booking in the US ;).

Still happens I can assure you, very much depends on your status and frequency of cruising.

Well I’d be interested to hear the last time you obtained a price drop on a U.K. booking that was not part of the recent promo that was being offered early this year/late last year (I believe it was one price drop up to the end of the year - could have been last year as I don’t book over here if I can help it). Yes, you can get TA discounts (cheaper rates than booking direct with X), but those are usually at the initial booking stage (those I have received), but no price drops in the last few years after booking? I’ve also received it when, mistakenly, X have directed my call to Miami and they have honoured the price drop but other than that, X U.K. have always, in recent years, stated that it’s not their policy and you must rebook and lose you deposit (unless it’s an onboard booking you can move).

I have never paid the X going rate over here, unsure if that makes a difference, as I have always received the TA discount on my initial pricing.

Obviously your experience is different. I can assure you that I have received additional obc after final payment as recent as November 2017 and March 2018.

But NOT a price drop in the form of a new invoice with the reduced price (which is what happens in the US and did happen here previously)? OBC can be negotiated for various reasons and is a totally different entity. I have also received a refund (cheque from a TA) from an invoice where Miami honoured a price drop by mistake, even as late as last year. So there are instances, however their policy, as I understand it, still remains that a price drop in the form of a reduced invoice for payment is a thing of the past.

I've managed to get a few repriced over the years but it has got harder and harder. My last time I managed it was September last year, I booked in the sale on 31 August and on 1 Sept the offer changed and it was £800 less with the same perks. It was hover honoured as it was done within 24 hours earlier. Our friends however that booked a week before us, did not get the drop honoured.

I always say, if you have the time, ask as you will never know.

We always book direct with Cekebrity and when price has dropped have been offered upgrade or onboard credit.

How long ago did this happen? We would be very happy with either. The cruise is in 2019 and our cabin is now £850 less than we paid. Have asked our TA to try and get something for us.

Thanks I’ll do that. Expecting a call back from

TA in the morning so let’s see what she comes up with. I’m surprised that X even talked to you when you booked through a TA. Hope we’ll not have to contact them but may have to if TA can’t help.

Sandancer - Our T/A failed but I contacted Celebrity UK and was successful in getting an extra $400 obc when the cruise price dropped by £540 and it was after final payment. Drop me a line, maybe I can help - e6mhs1@gmail.com

Hi there, hope you don’t mind...I have sent you an email. Many thanks Debra.

We have found that the only way to definitely benefit from price drops and unlimited free changes (before final payment date), is by booking the cruise whilst onboard doing another cruise. Even if we aren't sure where we want to go, we book a cruise that we think we MAY like to do, and can relax knowing that if we do change our minds when we get home, then we can change it as many times as we like, and have nothing to pay. When booking in the UK there is a £75 per person charge every time we make a change to the booking which has always made us think twice before booking. The staff on the ships seem very well aware of the frustrations.

We have found that the only way to definitely benefit from price drops and unlimited free changes (before final payment date), is by booking the cruise whilst onboard doing another cruise. Even if we aren't sure where we want to go, we book a cruise that we think we MAY like to do, and can relax knowing that if we do change our minds when we get home, then we can change it as many times as we like, and have nothing to pay. When booking in the UK there is a £75 per person charge every time we make a change to the booking which has always made us think twice before booking. The staff on the ships seem very well aware of the frustrations.

That is incorrect. You are allowed to change sail date or cruise as many times as you wish without charge. You can’t retain a booking and benefit from a price drop on that sailing. Read the U.K. terms and conditions for onboard bookings.

That is incorrect. You are allowed to change sail date or cruise as many times as you wish without charge. You can’t retain a booking and benefit from a price drop on that sailing. Read the U.K. terms and conditions for onboard bookings.

Believe me, I have read the T&C's thoroughly, and I can only speak from our experience. Last year there was a large price drop on our cruise, and we were allowed to do it.

Believe me, I have read the T&C's thoroughly, and I can only speak from our experience. Last year there was a large price drop on our cruise, and we were allowed to do it.

Suggest you read Section 10 Future Cruises (Onboard Booking ) - UK Terms & Conditions

"Guests who wish to take advantage of a new UK market promotion/benefits at a later date, whilst keeping the same ship and sail date will have to cancel (at loss of deposit or applicable cancellation charges) and rebook to access the benefits of the new promotion. The unlimited free changes apply to changing ship and/or sail date only"

I equally have received a concessionary benefit when a large price drop occurred but it was in the form of obc not a reduction in the cruise fare, maybe that is what you received. These T&C are current and readily accessible via the Celebrity website.

Suggest you read Section 10 Future Cruises (Onboard Booking ) - UK Terms & Conditions

"Guests who wish to take advantage of a new UK market promotion/benefits at a later date, whilst keeping the same ship and sail date will have to cancel (at loss of deposit or applicable cancellation charges) and rebook to access the benefits of the new promotion. The unlimited free changes apply to changing ship and/or sail date only"

I equally have received a concessionary benefit when a large price drop occurred but it was in the form of obc not a reduction in the cruise fare, maybe that is what you received. These T&C are current and readily accessible via the Celebrity website.

As I said previously, I have read the T's & C's and I have several copies, which where give to me by the cruise sales staff whilst onboard ship. They also came with the documentation of the new booking. Several months after we returned home there was huge price drop so our t/a spoke to Celebrity. Our invoice was then adjusted to the new lower price and and no it was definitely not in the form of obc.