Umm....paper luggage tags?!?!?1

Kimf

When printing my boarding pass information for the ship, I see that they provide paper luggage tags. How are you supposed to use these? Our last cruise on Disney they sent us plastic luggage tags to use for identification.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Stick clear shipping tape over them and then punch a hole in each end and tie onto your luggage. The tape keeps them strong enough. They have the sticker type at the pier if you would rather wait until then, however, they will not have your information printed on. You will have to fill them in when you get there.

When printing my boarding pass information for the ship, I see that they provide paper luggage tags. How are you supposed to use these? Our last cruise on Disney they sent us plastic luggage tags to use for identification.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Porters have the "good" ones at the pier and will fill them out and tag your luggage for you. They carry a master list of all assigned staterooms to help you out. Your going to tip them anyway, just as well let them earn it!;)

I've used the tape and hole-punch method with a zip tie. And always put a copy inside the luggage!

Ditto

We put put one copy in every zippered compartment of our suitcases just in case the tag is somehow torn off.

Long story short, on our last cruise the couple in the cabin next to us still did not get one of their bags at 9pm the first night. I found out the following day they were taken to the "luggage" room, not for alcohol but for lost luggage. The husband said they must have seen 40-50 bags which did not have tags on them or were torn off and could not be read. The folks working their were going thru the bags looking for ID. Hard to fathom someone not even people their own ID on a suitcase:confused:

I've used the tape and hole-punch method with a zip tie. And always put a copy inside the luggage!

This is what we did last cruise on Holland America. It was our first cruise in several years and were surprised by the paper ones. And we were in a Suite.

Ditto

We put put one copy in every zippered compartment of our suitcases just in case the tag is somehow torn off.

Long story short, on our last cruise the couple in the cabin next to us still did not get one of their bags at 9pm the first night. I found out the following day they were taken to the "luggage" room, not for alcohol but for lost luggage. The husband said they must have seen 40-50 bags which did not have tags on them or were torn off and could not be read. The folks working their were going thru the bags looking for ID. Hard to fathom someone not even people their own ID on a suitcase:confused:

Oh wow..do people really not put their own luggage tags on... meaning real ones? I always have 'real' ones on my bags with full name & cell phone- I think I might update mine with my suite # on it..

Porters have the "good" ones at the pier and will fill them out and tag your luggage for you. They carry a master list of all assigned staterooms to help you out. Your going to tip them anyway, just as well let them earn it!;)

Yes, but this only works if the Porter doesn't transpose numbers!!

From now on I will print out the tags. Because I don't want to be walking down a long hallway to a destination and see my bag sitting in front of someone else's door just to drag it all the way back to the other end of the hallway to my cabin! :eek::(

I don't even use tape, except to stick the ends together after I wrap the tag around the suitcase handle. The tags are plenty sturdy enough if you follow the instructions and fold the paper correctly.

If you fold it the way it suggests the tag is fairly sturdy. That being said I always cover w tape and staple and tape the ends shut around my handle. It has always survived checked airline luggage and cruise ship transfers to the room. I also bring extra address labels (the kind you get for free for life after one $15 donation to someplace like a national wildlife federation). Much easier than writing it out all of the time. And good on case something does happen to your tag.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Would be simpler if NCL simply send us the luggage tags. They stopped probably because they were trying to save on sending a welcome book and tags preprinted with cabin number etc. So just send us the plain tags and a simple nice welcome letter. Not everyone has a PC and printer believe it or not. It's called the digital divide. :confused:

Would be simpler if NCL simply send us the luggage tags. They stopped probably because they were trying to save on sending a welcome book and tags preprinted with cabin number etc. So just send us the plain tags and a simple nice welcome letter. Not everyone has a PC and printer believe it or not. It's called the digital divide. :confused:

But I bet you have a blank sheet of paper and a felt pen. That is all you need.

But I bet you have a blank sheet of paper and a felt pen. That is all you need.

I might have a blank sheet of paper buried some place in my hall closet (from the ream of printer paper we bought just before our printer broke) but I know I don't have a felt pen....living with a 4 year old means cutting all sorts of things out of your life...including things that make marks on walls that are near impossible to wash off :p :D

As already said, one can get the tags at the curb when arriving to port. We always do that as we've never had NCL send us the tags to Finland - no problem, no fuss. Of course our luggage already has name/contact info on separate tags (for air travel) so all we need is a tag with the cabin number and we're good to go.

Archived