Miami Airport Taxi with small children

jg25

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me here as the Miami Airport website isn't great in my opinion.

I will arrive at Miami Airport in 3 weeks time with a 4 year-old and a 1 year-old.

Will I need to pre-book a taxi before arrival as they will both need car seats and we won't have them with us.

Any advice appreciated.

John.

You raise a big issue (as Grandparents of a toddler we take this very seriously) for which it can be difficult to find a solution. You can certainly go out to the taxi queue at MIA and ask for a taxi with car seats. But even if they could find you a taxi with a car seat, the odds of finding a taxi with 2 car seats becomes much more difficult. Uber does have a place in their App where you can request a car seat but I do not think they have a box where you can request 2 car seats and Uber does add a $10 fee for even a single car seat. You can split your family, request 2 Uber cars with car seats, and that is a possible solution although far from ideal.

The reality is that many parents have found that they need to drag along their own car seats. Not only does this solve the problem at MIA, but it also is important in ports where you will want to use a taxi or perhaps rent a car.

Hank

You need to either take car seats with you (which I strongly recommend) or arrange private transport ahead of time that will provide car seats. Taxis will not have them. Some Uber's do in some locations but it would be a single seat that is only appropriate for your older child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are long past the car seat age but when we had little ones we took the car seats along. If the seat is ok for aviation travel (ours were) then it was a much easier way to get our kids to stay in their seat as it was just like the car ride- even on the long flight from Chicago to Hawaii. If they aren't approved for air travel then you used to be able to gate check or even check them all the way through.

What I would do if I were you...

I'd skip a taxi and get an Uber. It will be cheaper and you can request one with a car seat. This will work for your 1 year old. Then for your 4 year old which I assume is in a booster seat, I would get an inflatable Bumbo seat on Amazon so you can deflate it and put it in your bag once you're finished. They are really great seats!

Good luck OP, finding transport with car seats is much more difficult than you can imagine. Be aware that finding any car seats on any of the islands is almost going to be impossible. Best bet if you want to use them is to bring your own.

What I would do if I were you...

I'd skip a taxi and get an Uber. It will be cheaper and you can request one with a car seat. This will work for your 1 year old. Then for your 4 year old which I assume is in a booster seat, I would get an inflatable Bumbo seat on Amazon so you can deflate it and put it in your bag once you're finished. They are really great seats!

Perhaps I am completely wrong, but thought that a Bumbo seat is not appropriate for use in an auto. Do these seats meat the safety regulations required of car seats?

Hnak

Perhaps I am completely wrong, but thought that a Bumbo seat is not appropriate for use in an auto. Do these seats meat the safety regulations required of car seats?

Hnak

Sorry you're right, it's a BubbleBum.

https://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Backless-Inflatable-Booster-Black/dp/B00AQYZCXK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1539042138&sr=8-1&keywords=bumble+seat

bubblebum has a 40# minimum, and as long as the child is at least 40#, and is mature enough to sit properly during the entire ride, the seat belt fit is good, and it's a perfectly acceptable booster. Provided the child will stay properly seated in it. If not, then it's not a safe seat.

bubblebum has a 40# minimum, and as long as the child is at least 40#, and is mature enough to sit properly during the entire ride, the seat belt fit is good, and it's a perfectly acceptable booster. Provided the child will stay properly seated in it. If not, then it's not a safe seat.

We were in an accident in Miami last year and my youngest (wasn't 40#) was in his Bubblebum and it handled everything perfectly. Sure, a regular booster seat would be better but when you're limited on what you take with you... Just my experience with it. We always take it with us because none of our drivers in ports ever have a car seat for him.

We bring our own, we have a stroller that fits the carseat.

113986-89929f92a4da397038bb89cdd3d5aff9.jpg

And it all fits in this bag when we fly, the bag rolls up and doesn't take that much space when we don't need it. Both the stroller and carseat is free to take with you when you fly.

113986-05dfa8b6a2e72134c3e5876f20fe58cd.jpg