Hurricane Florence and our Navigator Regent cruise

geegeecruiser

I do not believe that Bonine (meclizine) is the same compound as Dramamine. Dramamine uses the same drug as Benadryl. Bonine is supposed to be basically non-drowsy (although individuals here seem to beg to differ.) Dramamine will definitely put you to sleep, at least in my experience.

That has been my experience as well and is the reason I do not use Dramamine. While Stugeron (can be difficult to get in the U.S.) and has drowsiness as a side-effect, I take only 1/2 of a pill when we know that sea will be getting a bit rocky and I do to get drowsy (on the Navigator I might take a whole pill). The ingredients in Stugeron are different than Bonine or Dramamine:

Stugeron Travel Sickness Tablets are packed full of the ingredient Cinnarizine, which prevents sickness on long journeys. It balances organs in the inner ear which reduces sensory confusion, as well as working directly with part of the brain to stop nausea. Stugeron also effectively decreases drowsiness so you can have a comfortable experience on your journeys.

Bonine has an interesting write-up:

Bonine

The second product the EFOSC purchased online was the oddly-named Bonine. Bonine is the brand name for meclizine, a first-generation antihistamine with anti-cholinergic properties which is often prescribed for benign positional vertigo.

There is not much evidence supporting meclizine for sea sickness but it is widely used owing to its accessibility and marketing. Like all first-generation antihistamines, it will make you drowsy. Before the second generation, non-sedating antihistamines were introduced, I would walk around in a zombie-like state when my allergies required an antihistamine.

And last, here is an article from Cruise Critic discussing the differences between Bonine and Dramamine:

Updated August 30, 2018

Similarities Between Bonine and Dramamine

Both Bonine and Dramamine Original Formula treat motion sickness using antiemetics (in this case, antihistamine drugs that also alleviate nausea and vomiting). Both brands say their products should be taken prior to activity for best results, and both types of pills contain lactose.

Differences Between Dramamine and Bonine

Bonine has only one product; the active per-tablet ingredient is 25 mg of meclizine hydrochloride, which prevents seasickness symptoms with minimal drowsiness. Meanwhile, Dramamine offers several products, including one made from ginger and one designed for kids. Dramamine's original formula, to which we're comparing Bonine, contains 50 mg of dimenhydrinate per tablet, which can cause marked drowsiness.

The recommended dose for Dramamine Original Formula is one to two tablets every four to six hours for anyone older than 12. Bonine is to be taken one or two tablets at a time -- but only once a day -- for anyone older than 12. Dramamine offers dosing instructions for children as young as 2 years old, while Bonine doesn't offer dosing for anyone younger than 12.

Additionally, Bonine (which is chewable) contains artificial sweetener, while Dramamine Original Formula (which is swallowed, rather than chewed) does not. (Note: Dramamine does make a chewable pill, as well as a "less drowsy" pill that contains the same active ingredient as Bonine.)

In terms of pricing, Bonine is generally more expensive. We compared prices on the websites of several major retailers and found that the cost of a 12-pack of Bonine versus Dramamine pills was higher across the board, by anywhere from 80 cents to nearly $2.

Bonine vs. Dramamine: Bottom Line

Here's what it comes down to: Use Bonine if you want less drowsiness from a chewable pill that you only have to take once a day and don't mind paying an extra dollar or two for the convenience. Use Dramamine if you can't tolerate chewable pills or artificial sweeteners, but be prepared to take more than one dose per day (which means you'll go through more pills, thereby potentially negating any cost savings). If you're lactose intolerant or if you plan to consume alcohol, stick with a more natural remedy like an acupressure bracelet, green apples, ginger or peppermint. In our experience, the majority of people prefer Bonine; you can read the opinions of fellow cruisers and join the discussion on the Cruise Critic message boards.

The bottom line is that we all pray for the safety of those affected by Hurricane Florence and hope that the passengers on the Navigator have a safe sailing to New York.

I got sturgeon in Singapore. Seemed to work well with no drowsiness. However, I took a tablet while we were on a rocking catamaran in the Great Barrier Reef and I can say definitively that it did not do the trick! During our South Pacific Cruise, we had very rough seas and I found that daily 1/4 scapolomine patches worked well. No side effects.

I do not believe that Bonine (meclizine) is the same compound as Dramamine. Dramamine uses the same drug as Benadryl. Bonine is supposed to be basically non-drowsy (although individuals here seem to beg to differ.) Dramamine will definitely put you to sleep, at least in my experience.

For anyone who may be sensitive, if you read the packaging on Bonine or Dram II the operative words are "less drowsy" not "non-drowsy". They both put me to sleep! Taking before bed helps if you are continuing a maintenance dose.

Side effects of Stugeron...

Side effects

Major & minor side effects for Stugeron 25 MG Tablet

Drowsiness

Weight gain

Indigestion

Nausea or Vomiting

Stomach discomfort and pain

Excessive sweating

Unusual tiredness and weaknessSEVERE

Headache

Dry mouth

Twitching and unusual movement of musclesSEVERERARE

Yellowing of skin and eyesSEVERERARE

Excessive salivationSEVERERARE

Swelling of face, lips, eyelids, tongue, hands and feet SEVERERARE

Depressed mood

Muscle stiffness and trembling

All drugs have side effects and they usually look real scary. Also most people don’t experience most side effects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I purchased a pair of these for my next cruise. Don't laugh at me if you encounter me wearing them. If you laugh, I will upchuck on you. My seasickness is off the charts. Nothing to date has worked and I have tried them all. This is the latest in technology. You wear these for 20 minutes. The colored water in the lens is supposed to fool the brain into adapting to the horizon. I'll let you know how they work. They are very hard to get.th?id=OIP.25N4xLhgTbu7yMFSItd0lwHaHa&w=185&h=181&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

We encountered Hurricane Arthur in the Atlantic as we were leaving Ponte Delgado in the Azores on the Queen Victoria. I'm the only person in the world who lost weight on a cruise.

I purchased a pair of these for my next cruise. Don't laugh at me if you encounter me wearing them. If you laugh, I will upchuck on you. My seasickness is off the charts. Nothing to date has worked and I have tried them all. This is the latest in technology. You wear these for 20 minutes. The colored water in the lens is supposed to fool the brain into adapting to the horizon. I'll let you know how they work. They are very hard to get.th?id=OIP.25N4xLhgTbu7yMFSItd0lwHaHa&w=185&h=181&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

We encountered Hurricane Arthur in the Atlantic as we were leaving Ponte Delgado in the Azores on the Queen Victoria. I'm the only person in the world who lost weight on a cruise.

I LOVE those - where did you get them?

I bought them from Marine Chandlery in Great Britain. They are on back order. I'm supposed to get them any day now. I can't wait to try them out. If they help, I don't care if I look like a bug. They were developed in Europe. Amazon is supposed to sell them, but I have never seen them in stock.

https://www.marinechandlery.com/advancedsearch/result/?q=sea+sickness+glasses

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/could-these-glasses-cure-your-motion-sickness-180969722/

Here is another source out of France. These are backordered and won't ship until December.

https://www.boardingglasses.com/

Edited by orvil

I bought them from Marine Chandlery in Great Britain. They are on back order. I'm supposed to get them any day now. I can't wait to try them out. If they help, I don't care if I look like a bug. They were developed in Europe. Amazon is supposed to sell them, but I have never seen them in stock.

https://www.marinechandlery.com/advancedsearch/result/?q=sea+sickness+glasses

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/could-these-glasses-cure-your-motion-sickness-180969722/

Here is another source out of France. These are backordered and won't ship until December.

https://www.boardingglasses.com/

Thank you so much for the information. So far I have not found a place that will deliver to the United States. I just emailed Marine Chandlery and asked if they will be delivering in the U.S. in the near future.

We had about 36 hours of somewhat rough waters during the crossing, but nothing too awful. The captain managed to navigate around the highest waves.

We were scheduled to arrive in Bermuda at 8:00 am (St. George's), but there was a medical situation on board (I don't know details), so the captain put the pedal to the metal and sped through so that we arrived off the shore of Bermuda at 1:00 am so the individual could be taken ashore to hospital. Ships are not allowed to sail in in darkness, so the evacuation had to be by tender. We are currently sailing into St. George's for docking as scheduled.

Hope that the rest of the Navigator's journey remains calm and uneventful.

orvil - thanks again for the tip about where to purchase the glasses. I heard back from them - ordered today and will receive them next month! Will report on how they work if the seas during our transatlantic sailing in November become rough.

Hope that the rest of the Navigator's journey remains calm and uneventful.

orvil - thanks again for the tip about where to purchase the glasses. I heard back from them - ordered today and will receive them next month! Will report on how they work if the seas during our transatlantic sailing in November become rough.

I sent Marine Chandlery an email yesterday to get an update on delivery. They got right back to me. They are hoping to receive them the first of October and will ship once they get them. They told me that they sold out the last batch in a matter of hours. That's why I am on a waiting list.