What changes could make the Maasdam HAL's new "Elegant Explorer"

OlsSalt

In order to replace the Prinsendam, is there anything HAL could do to the Maasdam so it could become HAL's new "Elegant Explorer". It is already taking on some of the more exotic wandering itineraries as an InDepth cruise choice.

I'd recommend converting lanai cabins into special solo-priced cabins for solo passengers . Add outdoor cabanas. Don't take out the top forward deck open railings - no glass panels please. Break up the main dining room into separate specialty dining options. Turn connecting staterooms into two-room suites. Drop the passenger capacity down to 600-800.

What to do with the Loft and children's center space - turn them into adult art and crafts centers? What did P&O do to her sister ships (Statendam and Ryndam) when they put them into Australian service -seemed like they added a lot of interior drama.

Scrapping the entire ship in Karachi is not an option, for those just waiting to suggest that.

I did a 14 day cruise on the Maasdam once. While I overall enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't go on that ship again.

Every evening, the port side of the Lido buffet was closed to passengers. It was signed as "Staff Only." I don't begrudge the hard working staff a dinner. But I've never seen that on any other HAL vessel. On other ships, I've usually seen the staff just have dinner in the Lido at their own tables, scattered amongst passenger-occupied tables.

The result was that all the paying passengers were crammed into the starboard side of the Lido buffet. It was quite crowded, with few available tables. It's not like breakfast or lunch where the tables out by the pool are set up for dining where I could go.

So one thing that could be improved upon towards making the Maasdam an "elegant explorer" is not close half the Lido buffet to passengers at dinner.

I did a 14 day cruise on the Maasdam once. While I overall enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't go on that ship again.

Every evening, the port side of the Lido buffet was closed to passengers. It was signed as "Staff Only." I don't begrudge the hard working staff a dinner. But I've never seen that on any other HAL vessel. On other ships, I've usually seen the staff just have dinner in the Lido at their own tables, scattered amongst passenger-occupied tables.

The result was that all the paying passengers were crammed into the starboard side of the Lido buffet. It was quite crowded, with few available tables. It's not like breakfast or lunch where the tables out by the pool are set up for dining where I could go.

So one thing that could be improved upon towards making the Maasdam an "elegant explorer" is not close half the Lido buffet to passengers at dinner.

Thanks for your insights. Reducing overall passenger capacity to Prinsendam size and reconfiguring the MDR into various dining options could alleviate this problem.

I'd recommend converting lanai cabins into special solo-priced cabins for solo passengers . Add outdoor cabanas..

So where would the outdoor cabanas be placed? There is very little room around the aft pool -- and hands off the pickleball court!

Trying to position her as a new "Elegant Explorer" would probably not be a popular move from a marketing point of view. But perhaps they could develop a different personality for Maasdam -- something like the "Amazing Adventurer".

I haven't sailed on Maasdam so have little to offer in terms of changes. However, what would motivate me to try her would be 1) great itineraries 2) enrichment lecturers onboard and 3) a decrease in the negative reports of physical/mechanical issues onboard. That trifecta would be enough to get me on what I'd consider a "larger" ship. :')

I love Maasdam and have sailed her dozen s and dozens Of crUISes, always in a Neptune. ( almost always the SAME Neptune cabin, HOWEvER, AS A SOLO now , I mightconsider sailing in a Lanai if they are made into solo cabins.

I do not like the idea of adding cabanas. Groan

DO NOT change a thing at heraft pool. LEAVE it as is. Leave Exploration Cafe and library intact.

Trying to position her as a new "Elegant Explorer" would probably not be a popular move from a marketing point of view. But perhaps they could develop a different personality for Maasdam -- something like the "Amazing Adventurer".

I haven't sailed on Maasdam so have little to offer in terms of changes. However, what would motivate me to try her would be 1) great itineraries 2) enrichment lecturers onboard and 3) a decrease in the negative reports of physical/mechanical issues onboard. That trifecta would be enough to get me on what I'd consider a "larger" ship. :')

Here is a link to the new "EXC InDepth programs" HAL is now offering on the Maasdam starting this September - and it does have a good array of interesting itineraries lined up for the next few years. https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/new-exc-in-depth-voyages-feature-zodiac-excursions-for-up-close-discovery/

If you discount a few consistent posters here who want to totally scrap the Maasdam, you will find many others who have had very good experiences onboard and posted accordingly. Your call who you wish to listen to. A few plusses the Maasdam already has over the Prinsendam is a more coherent layout, far better elevators and no mirrors on the bathtub walls.

There was a very loving video posted her about the Maasdam from a recent South Pacific cruise that showed the Maasdam off in the best fashion I have seen. Really a professional grade youtube - a very well spent 20 minutes from CC poster bellair:

Agree, even the Prinsendam would have been better called the Exotic Explorer, and not the Elegant Explorer. Same with the Maasdam "EXC InDepth" is not readily recognizable for much of anything - as its new iteration should be readily appealing to the more adventuresome passengers, who probably want things more casual and not "elegant". My own guess is the roll out of the new format Maasdam was intended to coincide with the demise of the Prinsendam to help retain the latter loyal passenger base - at least some of them.

I concur, Ruth. The Elegant Explorer is exactly that. No way the Maasdam even comes close. The Prinsendam is one of a kind.

Not suggesting duplicating the ship itself, but merely the role of a smaller ship for a Prinsendam type cruise experience as the new 'Elegant Explorer" wannabe. At this time we have to dance with the gal who brung us, and that is currently looks like the Maasdam - what changes could give the Maasdam a more intimate and adventuresome appeal to replace but certainly never replicate what the Prinsendam herself delivered. Necessary compromises noted.

Just some thoughts - not running the cost/benefit on any of this - just talking:

1. Reduce passenger numbers - 1200 down to 600-800

2. Create the feel of smaller, more intimate and activity dedicated public spaces

3. Open more options for solo passengers - special price lanai cabins

4. Expand larger numbers of suites - join connecting cabins into a single suite

5. Enhance flexible dining options

6. Dedicate more passenger cabins to enrichment speakers

Not suggesting duplicating the ship itself, but merely the role of a smaller ship for a Prinsendam type cruise experience as the new 'Elegant Explorer" wannabe.

It can't be done. The Maasdam is too big to consider being a pretender to the role of the Prinsendam.

She can forge her own path, different from the rest of the fleet even, but she can never be anything but an Elegant Explorer wannabe.

It can't be done. The Maasdam is too big to consider being a pretender to the role of the Prinsendam.

She can forge her own path, different from the rest of the fleet even, but she can never be anything but an Elegant Explorer wannabe.

No disagreement with any of your points Ruth, but the Maasdam is the only game in town now. What would help the Maasdam forge her own path to fill this now missing Prinsedam passenger base niche. Or was that a dying niche anyway that does not need to be retained.

Seems there could be some compromise here - enhance the Maasdam itself with what worked well onboard for the Prinsendam passenger base, but also keep seeking out a new passenger base for the Maasdam who wants this more immersion and active "InDepth" cruise experience.

Sail WC on Amsterdam and leave Maasdam alone. She narrowly escaped losing he r aft pool to the mess they made out of Veen dam. Let Maasdam's good luck continue .

Agree. Adding aft-cabins would be totally counter-productive. Point is to downsize it to Prinsendam size, and up the onboard feeling that comes with fewer passengers. Just brainstorming here.

OR Aquire one in the way Viking joined the fleet. Buy a ship and have her customized to HAL's needs

If there really is such a large number of broken hearted cruisers who need to jump upon a 'replacement', which I question.

Give t he nice people at Fincantieri more work and build a new ship suitable to fill the 'void'.

:)

I think HAL management has indicated pretty clearly that they will not be adding more small ships to the line.

And I seriously doubt they'd acknowledge that there is a gap.

I think HAL management has indicated pretty clearly that they will not be adding more small ships to the line.

And I seriously doubt they'd acknowledge that there is a gap.

that was the message we got on the Prinsendam from Captain Dag - that he could not envision them adding more small ships to the line.

And like you, I doubt they would acknowledge the gap, either.

Agree, nothing indicates HAL will either go smaller or feel the Prinsendam "gap" needs to be filled. But they have these two aging smaller ships that will soon be out of their inventory in a few more years. What could they do to maximize their value as long as they have them? Now that they will no longer be competing along with the Prinsendam for a certain "smaller ship" HAL niche passenger (relatively speaking).

How successful were the conversions of the former Statendam and Ryndam for P&O, or were they hopeless causes. Just like they kept upgrading the Prinsendam even though she was soon to be in her "last five years", what could HAL choose to do to the Maasdam that would provide a remaining unqiue HAL experience as long as she lasts. (Again, a one way cruise to the Karachi scrap yards does not count as a good answer!)

Certainly the ETC InDepth program changes demonstrates a willingness to use these smaller older ships to fill a "gap" in the cruise family, or even create a surprising new niche within the cruise family. The success or failure of the new InDepth program on the Maasdam will be tellling - I hope for one it works very well. And the point of this question was how could it work even better ...as long as there was a reasonable ROI.

But number one, please HAL marketing come up with a 100% better name for this Maasdam change - "ETC In Depth" It simply does not tell anyone anything nor does it create even an enticing image to be curious to find out more.

Let alone being"in depth" on a ship in the high seas triggers being undewater and submerged - but then "immersion" is also a trouble word too even though they are selling an "immersion" experience on ship and land too. Pretty much like that ship filling up with "blue water" HAL asks you to look at while the screens load.

"Follow the Ocean Explorers" - too wordy, but tells the story better. Be an Ocean Explorer? Word crafting is not my forte.

When we signed up for this first Maasdam InDepth cruise we did it the old fashion way - went looking for cruises in Sept and found this interesting itinerary. Only much later did I become aware of this being the inaugural "InDepth" program on the Maasdam so if they were marketing this it totally escaped me. I picked my HAL cruises by date and itinerary the easiest way I can. Happy to find myself on this InDepth offering because that is exactly what I was looking for as HAL kept getting bigger and bigger and going to more impacted ports along with the rest of them.

We have been on Maasdam multiple times and like the ship. Last trip we were dealing with Noro (not us, but the prior itinerary) so boarding was late and lunch was missed. Issue wasn’t the ship but it could have been handled better. They didn’t even offer a complimentary drink which they could have done at dinner that evening.

Anyway, the new Enrichment, in depth zodiac tours and lecturers sound great but I think there is bound to be a lot of negative reviews.

The reason is that this is an approx 1,200 passenger ship and they have already stated that those excursions will be extremely limited, perhaps to 75-85 people per excursion. The advice given in the new mariner magazine is to “ book early”. They will be first come, first served.

Most people will be shut out of the tours and complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pre-Carnival and into Carnival ownership for at least a while the Lido was 100% staff only at dinner. Choice then was MDR or Room Service.

At lunch and breakfast one side was for staff. Smaller ships didn't have dining room for staff (non-crew) and Junior Officers- they used the Lido.

The Maasdam is very nice just as she is. We sailed on her last year and will sail on her again nest month, August. I love the S class ships, but not the Veendam since she was mutilated. My suggestion would be to obtain one of the old Renaissance such as Princess' Pacific Princess which is quite a bit newer and somewhat smaller than the Prinsendam. Eight were built at the time of the Renaissance bankruptcy, and all are still in service some with premium lines.

The Maasdam is very nice just as she is. We sailed on her last year and will sail on her again nest month, August. I love the S class ships, but not the Veendam since she was mutilated. My suggestion would be to obtain one of the old Renaissance such as Princess' Pacific Princess which is quite a bit newer and somewhat smaller than the Prinsendam. Eight were built at the time of the Renaissance bankruptcy, and all are still in service some with premium lines.

Oceania seems to have gone for the former Renaissance ships in a big way and has spent considerable money on updating them, so I doubt they would be for sale.

Princess still has one -- perhaps there could be an inter-company transfer to HAL? Although Princess uses her for their world cruise (already sold out for 2019, btw...) I'm not 100% sure, but I think that another Renaissance ship is back with P&O again, after the "fathom" project.... That might be another source.

I'm not sure how committed Azamara is, but they have the final two and I'm not sure they'd be willing to part with them until and unless there is a replacement.