Why so quiet?H

Sparky74

DW & I currently have 3 cruised booked. B2B on Carnival Spirit next month (October 2017) and 10 nights on RCI's Voyager OTS In February 2018. All three Roll Calls are very quiet.

Carnival Spirit 9th October 2017 has only 8 posts by 4 members. We did not have enough registered for a Meet and Mingle before the cut off. I'm sure this has happened in the past but this is the first time I've experienced it.

Carnival Spirit Roll Call 17/10/17-28/10/17 is faring slightly better with 19 posts by 7 members. There are 22 signed up for the Meet and Mingle so we might still have a chance of reaching 25.

Voyager Of The Seas February 15th 2018 has 43 posts and only 17 signed up for the Meet and Mingle.

In the past I have built quire a rapport with those on my roll call and it's been great to finally meet them in person on the ship. I'm wondering if Roll Calls and Meet and Mingles are going the way of all flesh or if these are isolated examples. Perhaps there have always been busy roll calls and quiet ones. Perhaps my presence on these 3 Roll Calls is the common factor. :eek:

What do you think?

Edited by Sparky74
Formatting

I agree. We have 4 cruises booked and all are very quiet, including a B2B in the Caribbean next March. Being predominantly dominated by Americans, I am surprised they are not fairly active. Hopefully they will pick up as we get closer to sailing.

It's been noticed for a while. I think especially Australian based cruises, where itineraries are well known, passengers are Australian and also the cruise market very established means there's not much point. There's fewer new cruisers, or people new to those areas so less activity.

I am in the same boat. We are booked to do Carnival Spirit to Singapore and back. I have posted on the relevant roll calls looking for others to share a tour in Komodo and Vietnam. The RC's are very quite. Only one response. I am hoping for more closer to the May/June sailing dates.

Agree with all the comments above, I also think that cruise lines are utilising FB which is creating a higher participation rate for local cruises. Of course CC is mainly a US domain so unless there is a healthy US contingent, the CC roll calls will remain quiet.

I think that people simply don't know about the roll calls. The cruise we are going on has a Facebook group which has about 80 members so far yet the roll call here has only a few. Sign of the times I suppose, people have more options on how to connect to others or arrange private tours etc. On our two European cruises we found the roll call was invaluable to meeting others to arrange private tours and we made life long friends with some of those we met.

I think that people simply don't know about the roll calls. The cruise we are going on has a Facebook group which has about 80 members so far yet the roll call here has only a few. Sign of the times I suppose, people have more options on how to connect to others or arrange private tours etc. On our two European cruises we found the roll call was invaluable to meeting others to arrange private tours and we made life long friends with some of those we met.

I agree. Even when I mention to friends, of my age, the advantages of CC when they are going on a cruise, they are not interested in joining roll calls.

I have been following the roll call for Azamara cruise and it has been very active. Could it be because it is a small ship, with a sense of family?

I think that’s right.

Smaller ships have a more collegiate atmosphere, in my opinion.

Our first cruise after joining cc was on Century, (2000 approx) met and re met some people I’ve stayed in contact with, here and by other means.

Next was Diamond (2600) somewhat unusual for me became good friends with two couples, one we met on the Roll Call the other at Muster Drill, one couple have visited us in Newcastle and one of the worst things about cancelling our NCL cruise was that we were going to meet with them in Adelaide.

Emerald princess (3100) had joined the Roll Call, went to where we were to meet (so I thought) couldn’t find them, eventually met one fellow, stay in contact via Facebook.

QM2 (2700) stay in regular email contact with one fellow, perhaps because we have some health problems in common, or perhaps just because hit it off.

Then there are a few people here on CC that I would now consider to be friends, one I only see on the odd occasion I sail with Celebrity but talk to one the phone and/or email frequently, others I’ve never met.

Our first cruise after joining cc was on Century, (2000 approx) met and re met some people I’ve stayed in contact with, here and by other means.

Next was Diamond (2600) somewhat unusual for me became good friends with two couples, one we met on the Roll Call the other at Muster Drill, one couple have visited us in Newcastle and one of the worst things about cancelling our NCL cruise was that we were going to meet with them in Adelaide.

Emerald princess (3100) had joined the Roll Call, went to where we were to meet (so I thought) couldn’t find them, eventually met one fellow, stay in contact via Facebook.

QM2 (2700) stay in regular email contact with one fellow, perhaps because we have some health problems in common, or perhaps just because hit it off.

Then there are a few people here on CC that I would now consider to be friends, one I only see on the odd occasion I sail with Celebrity but talk to one the phone and/or email frequently, others I’ve never met.

I met three couples in Sydney who I originally shared a WC thread with. I plan to meet one couple from US again in November again, if I'm around then, so I agree that you can make good friendships with people from CC threads.

It must have been heart warming to you to see the amount of genuine concern for your welfare recently from people on CC.

I also did a cruise on Century in 2011 around NZ. Loved that ship.

It must have been heart warming to you to see the amount of genuine concern for your welfare recently from people on CC.

I think humbling was the word I used.

Or even touched, but not the way most use it when talking about me.

I agree. Even when I mention to friends, of my age, the advantages of CC when they are going on a cruise, they are not interested in joining roll calls.
Some see the advantages of FB (can discuss nearly everything) being better than CC and it also removes some of the ambiguity of hiding behind an alias.

Have met lots of great people through CC and then on the sailing and am in contact with a great many of them still. This is through FB which is so much easier to maintain contact and private messaging, whereas I am only in contact with a few of them still using CC as the medium.

Interesting that this came up now. Over many of our cruises we have been participants in roll-calls and have met some very nice people & often attended M&M. Actually met MicCanberra this way :D , along with a crazy bunch from Wimbeldon, NSW on a 3-N Voyager cruise :D

Some cruises the roll-calls are very busy, some not so much. I think many have covered the possible reasons already, including the growth of FB. I am yet to join an actual cruise FB page (am on some cruising FB pages) - many posters on FB give wrong info and the general tone is often negative or smart-arse or encouraging of behaviour I disagree with.

For our upcoming Voyager OTS in Nov, I just joined the roll-call 2 days ago. It is relatively quiet with just 43 posts, but 91 have registered for the M&M. Interestingly, since I posted on roll-call, a fellow Aus/NZ board poster [AussieFF] posted, so looking forward to catching up. Only 6 weeks to go!!

Interesting that this came up now. Over many of our cruises we have been participants in roll-calls and have met some very nice people & often attended M&M. Actually met MicCanberra this way :D , along with a crazy bunch from Wimbeldon, NSW on a 3-N Voyager cruise :D

Some cruises the roll-calls are very busy, some not so much. I think many have covered the possible reasons already, including the growth of FB. I am yet to join an actual cruise FB page (am on some cruising FB pages) - many posters on FB give wrong info and the general tone is often negative or smart-arse or encouraging of behaviour I disagree with.

For our upcoming Voyager OTS in Nov, I just joined the roll-call 2 days ago. It is relatively quiet with just 43 posts, but 91 have registered for the M&M. Interestingly, since I posted on roll-call, a fellow Aus/NZ board poster [AussieFF] posted, so looking forward to catching up. Only 6 weeks to go!!

The roll calls that I have for international cruises are much busier but then even these are quieter than 3 or more years ago.

DW & I currently have 3 cruised booked. B2B on Carnival Spirit next month (October 2017) and 10 nights on RCI's Voyager OTS In February 2018. All three Roll Calls are very quiet.

Carnival Spirit 9th October 2017 has only 8 posts by 4 members. We did not have enough registered for a Meet and Mingle before the cut off. I'm sure this has happened in the past but this is the first time I've experienced it.

Carnival Spirit Roll Call 17/10/17-28/10/17 is faring slightly better with 19 posts by 7 members. There are 22 signed up for the Meet and Mingle so we might still have a chance of reaching 25.

Voyager Of The Seas February 15th 2018 has 43 posts and only 17 signed up for the Meet and Mingle.

In the past I have built quire a rapport with those on my roll call and it's been great to finally meet them in person on the ship. I'm wondering if Roll Calls and Meet and Mingles are going the way of all flesh or if these are isolated examples. Perhaps there have always been busy roll calls and quiet ones. Perhaps my presence on these 3 Roll Calls is the common factor. :eek:

What do you think?

Therer are none at all on my upcoming Sea Princess cruise next Wednesday 4/10 prap's as it just a 4 night one.

I am in the same boat. We are booked to do Carnival Spirit to Singapore and back. I have posted on the relevant roll calls looking for others to share a tour in Komodo and Vietnam. The RC's are very quite. Only one response. I am hoping for more closer to the May/June sailing dates.

We are on the Sydney to Singapore cruise, I just went to the roll call as I thought I missed your tour request in Vietnam. You must be doing it on the way home :( who are you going through?