First time to Costa Maya- which beach resort should I go to?

DD99

If you don't need the water toys Majahual can be the answer. The ride over is $3 and back is $2 (no, I have no idea why:p)

There are a number of restaurants along the beach. Most have tables (with umbrellas) and loungers. It doesn't require a major investment in either food or beverage. You can use the restrooms of the restaurant. The water is shallow and you can see your ship off in the distance.

Click on the thumbnails below for a couple of pics. The shots were taken at the area used by Tapas Bar where we go.

There was a recent report here about one waiter at Tapas that was unfavorable. We have always used Francisco (Pancho). Very attentive and courteous.

Charlie

DSCF5463.jpg.b5a673e41149fef0b2c8b41926dd4c41.jpg

DSCF5464.jpg.de6afa1ab56c54c406605927a8d778c4.jpg

More I read the harder it is

My husband and I just got off the Eclipse March 12th we did the ship off shore trip to Uvero beach, they take you in an airconditioned bus, drop you off at the door, the beach the restaurant the bathrooms were spotless, drinks, alcohol and non and beach service, lounge chairs etc was 40.50$ including the transportation, I thought it was great, sunburn and all! Some folks had food, we did not cause it was a super super windy day, the Oasis of Sea did not even stay to dock due to the Wind, the Eclipse was only ship in port!

A few weeks ago, we spent the day at Tropicante. Their website is: (http://sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html) in Mahahual. As the other poster said it is a $3 trip to and a $2 trip back. Umbrellas and loungers are free. Food and drinks are very inexpensive, and you can reserve your spot in advance by emailing Steve Uhl @ steveuhl@sandalsandskis.com. We had a great day there without the expense of an all-inclusive as we are not drinkers either. Have fun!

My wife and I were in Costa Maya on March 2 via LoS.

Costa Maya in one of those ports were an internet search proves difficult, with limited options for the cruise ship traveler.

My wife and I happened upon Maya Palms via Tripadvisor.com

We are glad we did...what a wonderful time!!

Mark made our day there so enjoyable.

The place it spotless...the lunch was outstanding...had a personal tour of the facilities, and if you are into photograpghy...their enterence garden area provides endless photo opportunities.

If you walk down the beach to the right...two homes down..there is the most friendly middle aged greyish dog....he loves to walk along the beach with you in a manner that you really think he is giving you a tour of the beach...when you meet him you will know what I mean. (Full disclosure..I am a dog lover)

Will DW and I go back?? Absolutely !!

Thank you Mark for a wonderful day.

Questions...Just post and I will answer.

Any of these will be a good choice for a beach. The reason its $3 to go over to the beach is because everyone who gets off the ships does so about the same time so they need to have a large transport. The buses will drop you off at the entrances to any of these beaches and I know Pez Quadro has bar/restaurant and facilities as I assume do the others. You can see the ships across the way from the beach. When you come back you will do so in a cab (not a bus) so the taxis only charge $2.

If you get tired of the beach, the Hard Rock Cafe has a swim up pool in the middle of the shopping plaza/village that anyone can use. However to get to the cabs/buses, you will need to walk up the dock and then through the village towards the back (follow the signs) then jump in line and purchase tickets for the one way trip via the bus. It takes about 10 minutes and the bus is air conditioned so you will be comfortable. Just a note: DO NOT wander out of your beach area entrance across the street as downtown Costa Maya is very poor and a ghetto area. When you ready to leave the beach go back to the beach entrance areas as there are workers there to make sure you get a cab. There are no shops or anything to see outside across the street from the beach entrances. Wait until they drop you back off at the entrance to the shopping village as anything you may want or need can be purchased there.

Have Fun! Jerry

Casting another vote for the Tropicante. We spent the day there last week and it was the best day of the trip! Steve and his team were great-we had a nice lunch and very inexpensive massages, and because we pre reserved, we had lounge chairs right next to the water. I can't say enough good things about the Tropicante!

One more vote for Tropicante. We were there last week (3/17) and had a great time. The food was great (and inexpensive!) and the staff was very good. Steve is a great guy and I can't wait to go back!

Mitsugirly, where did you find that print for the t-shirt? I want/need a shirt just like that!!! I googled it and nothing came up.

LOL that's funny. I've had several different people ask me that. I made those words up and got a tee-shirt picture and I photo shopped it on there. It's not a real shirt. But I should have some made. :D:p

Costa Maya in one of those ports were an internet search proves difficult, with limited options for the cruise ship traveler.

The place it spotless...the lunch was outstanding...had a personal tour of the facilities, and if you are into photograpghy...their enterence garden area provides endless photo opportunities.

If you walk down the beach to the right...two homes down..there is the most friendly middle aged greyish dog....he loves to walk along the beach with you in a manner that you really think he is giving you a tour of the beach...when you meet him you will know what I mean. (Full disclosure..I am a dog lover)

What did you do at the beach? Is food included in the price? We are taking our 14 year old daughter with us, who likes to be busy and we were hoping there might be things there for her to do.

APMECruiser,

My wife and I just hung out at the beach, layed in the beach chairs, walked along the beach, and hung out in the water. Full disclosure..DW and I are mid-40's and empty nesters. We were not looking for things to do..in fact we were looking for the opposite...just looking to relax and enjoy each others company.

No Lady Gaga--Buffet-Reggae-European-techno music blasting...No drunks yelling and screaming, just the quite sounds of the surf hitting the sand.

Oh..yes..the food was included..and the entrance gardens are inspiring.

There is a pool there with lounge chairs and 'Blue-glass' cement formed loungers. Go to the web site you'll know what I am talking about when you see them. Even in the mid-day mexican sun, they do not get hot...and are very comfortable.

Oh..BTW..when you leave, they take two digital photos of you in front of the enterance gates, then email them to you..no charge.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your day down there.

Any other Q's just post, I will answer.

The Maya Palms you talk about with Mark and food sounds so much like Maya Chan. Is Maya Palms a different beach/resort?

• 2 weeks later...

"The Maya Palms you talk about with Mark and food sounds so much like Maya Chan. Is Maya Palms a different beach/resort? "

Yes..it is a different resort...About 5 minutes further down the road from Maya Chan.

• 2 weeks later...
APMECruiser,

My wife and I just hung out at the beach, layed in the beach chairs, walked along the beach, and hung out in the water. Full disclosure..DW and I are mid-40's and empty nesters. We were not looking for things to do..in fact we were looking for the opposite...just looking to relax and enjoy each others company.

No Lady Gaga--Buffet-Reggae-European-techno music blasting...No drunks yelling and screaming, just the quite sounds of the surf hitting the sand.

Oh..yes..the food was included..and the entrance gardens are inspiring.

There is a pool there with lounge chairs and 'Blue-glass' cement formed loungers. Go to the web site you'll know what I am talking about when you see them. Even in the mid-day mexican sun, they do not get hot...and are very comfortable.

Oh..BTW..when you leave, they take two digital photos of you in front of the enterance gates, then email them to you..no charge.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your day down there.

Any other Q's just post, I will answer.

I have a question. Has anyone just hung out at the dock? Is their a beach at the dock or you have to travel.

Archived