Hotels Close to the Pier @ Ft. Lauderdale.

Happy2Crews

As others have said, unfortunately, there's not much within typical walking distance of the port. I have actually walked to the ship from a nearby shopping plaza on 17th street after dropping off a rental car, but that was because our ship was berthed nearest 17th Street. Port Everglades his pretty large with many possible berths for ships, and you never know for sure where your ship is going to be docked. So, thought I've done it, I can't really recommend walking to the ship. Plus, many hotels offer shuttle services, and cabs are pretty inexpensive.

As for nicer hotels near the port with food options, we very much like the Hilton Marina, with its restaurant "China Grill", if you don't care about leaving the property.

That having been said, our choice these days is to stay up on Ft. Lauderdale Beach Blvd, where there are many, many hotels directly across from the beach and in easy walking distance to shopping and many restaurants. And, they are all about a 15 minute cab ride to the port.

Don't know if that's helpful, but I hope so, and I hope you have a great trip! :D

Three suggestions are:

Renaissance 17th Street: No breakfast included, no free parking, restaurants nearby, closest to the entrance to the piers.

Embassy Suites: on 17th street. It's down the street from the entrance to the pier. I believe breakfast is included, close to restaurants, Total Wine, and a supermarket.

Hyatt Place North: just off 17th street, very near Embassy Suites. Breakfast is included, free shuttle to/from the airport and pier, close to restaurants, Total Wine and supermarket.

We have always had great luck with price line and generally get a great room for 65 -70 dollars, then rent a car (as we like to putter around, go to the sawgrass mall etc) , as the hotels will be 8 -10 miles out and with that pricing come in close to what is being paid for the hotels on 17th st. We normally use budget, pick it up at the airport, and return it to Quay Plaza on 17th street and get a ride from them to the pier. Have done this approach numerous times, especially since the pricing for the close hotels has gone way up

Just a thought

Pete

Our favorite is Embassy Suites on 17th street. Its about a 5 minute van ride from the ship.

Embassy = free cocktail party for a couple of hours in the evening (allows you to start your party early). A wonderful cooked to order breakfast with all your favorites (you are on vacation - indulge!). Several Restaurants within walking distance, across the street, and behind the hotel. Also, behind the hotel is a little mall with a grocery store (Publics), a booze store (Total Wine), a few restaurants, a nifty little ice cream shop that has fabulous sorbet (Ice Cream too). The swimming pool is very nice. Free shuttle from the airport. Small charge to the cruiseport.

i'm glad to see the Renaissance listed. we booked it because it was close, although we will take a shuttle. it's a marriott hotel and looked pretty nice, not too pricey.

Renaissance is a good choice. My last stay, December 2010, shuttle hotel to the port was available. The shuttle operation set up a table early morning on the rear patio. Ask at the front desk.

And...you don't want to walk to the piers in Ft. Lauderdale. There are many piers there and none are a decent walk from any hotel.

That is largely but not entirely true.

It is an easy walk from the Renaissance and the Extended Stay hotels to Pier 2 (I usually do walk to the ship) - other hotels and other piers are definitely a bit far apart for walking!

The Extended Stay and the Embassy Suites are also an easy walk to a couple of shopping malls with restaurants, a food store, a wine store, a dollar store, and other useful shops.

The Renaissance is very close to the water taxi stop that will take you around Fort Lauderdale.

When departing from Port Everglades, I generally take a walk up onto the 17th St bridge on the morning of embarkation to double check where my ship is - I wouldn't want to set off walking to Pier 2 only to find they've moved it to another Pier!

Renaissance is a good choice. My last stay, December 2010, shuttle hotel to the port was available. The shuttle operation set up a table early morning on the rear patio. Ask at the front desk.

Last November there was a $7 charge per person for the shuttle to port.

any of the big hotels around 17th street are ideal...lots going on in the area (bars/restaurants/liquorstores) .....and really handy for the port....stayed at the Hilton Marina which was nice but a good 15 min walk away from any amenities. As for walking to the port?....you're on vacation - get a cab! :cool:

I did the Embassy Suites as well. They had a nice cocktail party from 5-7pm as well well as a great breakfast in the morning (omlettes). I got a room facing the pier area and was able to watch my ship arrive in the morning. Very short ride to the port.

I wouldn't bother with a shuttle from the Renaissance, they charge about $7 pp, a cab only costs about $10 with a tip. The two restaurants across the parking lot are Bravo Ristoranti which we have enjoyed each time we have been there and the Bimini Boatyard where we had the most average overpriced meal that we have ever had.

http://www.bravoitaliano.com/

http://biminiboatyard.com/

Our favorite is Embassy Suites on 17th street. Its about a 5 minute van ride from the ship.

Embassy = free cocktail party for a couple of hours in the evening (allows you to start your party early). A wonderful cooked to order breakfast with all your favorites (you are on vacation - indulge!). Several Restaurants within walking distance, across the street, and behind the hotel. Also, behind the hotel is a little mall with a grocery store (Publics), a booze store (Total Wine), a few restaurants, a nifty little ice cream shop that has fabulous sorbet (Ice Cream too). The swimming pool is very nice. Free shuttle from the airport. Small charge to the cruiseport.

We also like the Embassy. We cruised last week, and our flight home was canceled due to hurricane Irene. We had stayed there pre-cruise, so we decided to go back there after the cruise when we were "stuck" in FLL for a few extra days. Even though check in time wasn't until 3pm, we arrived at 7:30am, and they allowed us to have the room early and partake in the breakfast, with no added fee to our room rate. As well, we checked out at 11am, but our flight wasn't until 7pm, and again they allowed us to use their facilities without adding a fee to the room rate. They were extremely kind and helpful to all the hurricane refugees.

They have computers in the lobby that you can use for free. The pool area is wonderful, and so is their nice atrium/courtyard.

We had our lunches at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe (located next to Publix) - excellent wraps, panini, melts, sandwiches, etc, at very reasonable prices. We had dinner at Gilbert's, which is directly behind the hotel, also in the Publix shopping Center. Both CVS and Walgreens is within walking distance - we actually had to go to Walgreens because my husband was not anticipating the flight ccancelation and extended stay in FLL and ran out of his Rx eye drops.

I couldn't recommend Embassy Suites more highly!!!

(you really can't walk to the port because it's in an industrial area without sidewalks, etc, and lots of security checkpoints.)

We stayed at the Embassy Suites and thought it far too expensive and we didn't need a suite for an overnight stay, a much cheaper hotel would have done. Unfortunately, we didn't know anywhere in the area and asked a friend to recommend one and hence the suites. Also, which was unfortunate, our flight took off from the UK four and a half hours late; the cab I'd booked in advance at Miami airport obviously wasn't waiting and by the time we'd sorted a cab and travelled it was 10pm. We were shattered and went straight to bed. I was disappointed with breakfast, it was serve yourself basically, one could select what to have but then took it to the table. It felt rather like a roadside cafe here. Whether there was any other dining room I don't know. Anyway, we got the shuttle from there [i think it was, I know we'd paid for it in advance] and then thoroughly enjoyed our B2B cruise on the Ruby

Just a question, with the price of embassy suites why dont more folks step out of the town a bit to Hollywood etc and save money? It is really that just a question, years ago we actually got embassy suites on 17th through priceline it was great, dont see that to often any more last year we got the Renaissance Plantation Fort Lauderdale jan time frame two nights 65 each night That place was top shelf

Pete

Another vote for Embassy Suites. We enjoy the location, walking distance to many restaurants (there is an Outback right across the Street), shops and most importantly, wine for our cruise. We either grab a cab to the port or take E/S shuttle at $7pp.:)

The restaurant is busy on cruise mornings but at other times, very relaxing. I love their pancakes or omlettes. Plenty of fruit and ceral choices We usually find a good spot to sit down. People are very friendly,-if you are not travelling with others and will ask you to please sit down with them if it is really crowded......after all everyone is in a great mood:D

Embassy Suites is no longer on Priceline as it is a Princess and other cruise lines hotel.:cool:

Just a question, with the price of embassy suites why dont more folks step out of the town a bit to Hollywood etc and save money? It is really that just a question, years ago we actually got embassy suites on 17th through priceline it was great, dont see that to often any more last year we got the Renaissance Plantation Fort Lauderdale jan time frame two nights 65 each night That place was top shelf

Pete

We like to be as close to the pier/aiport as possible (to minimize taxi fares). As well, the hotel needs to be near inexpensive dining places. Lastly, we like to be close to the pier so we can watch the ships.

Hyatt Place North: just off 17th street, very near Embassy Suites. Breakfast is included, free shuttle to/from the airport and pier, close to restaurants, Total Wine and supermarket.

I agree with Pam, the Hyatt Place North is an excellent choice. I have stayed there twice and will be staying there again in November. The hotel is next to an outdoor mall with many food options as well as a Publix and Total Wine. It is across the street from another mall with A Dollar Tree and Ross Dress for Less. The hotel shares the parking lot with Outback Steakhouse, but there are many dining options within walking distance - both fast food and finer dining. The hotel is also within walking distance to a Walgreen's and CVS. For those who love to walk, it is about a 30-45 minute walk to the beach...or if you are there on the weekend there is a Trolley that will bring you to the Boardwalk and the beach - A MUST DO!!!...As for the hotel, there rooms are large and spacious with a sitting area, there is an adequate breakfast of bagels, mufiins, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee and juice - you will not leave hungry. Some people have complained the airconditioning may be a bit noisy - but it was ok for us. There is a gree airport shuttle but there is now a fee for the cruise terminal shuttle of $6 a person.

I was able to book my room through Hotwire for the end of November for $55 a night...IT IS A 3 STAR LOS OLAS/DOWNTOWN HOTEL: smokefree rooms, shuttle, breakfast, fitness centre, business centre...

Hope this proves helpful to you.:)

Try Priceline! I booked 2 days before and 1 day aft the Sheraton on the beach for my 12/2011 cruise and only paid $79 per night.

How do you know what hotel you will be getting on Priceline? I have never used those sites before. For example what info did you put in to get a beach hotel? Thanks for any info.

Archived