Price Drop-Nothing For Us

flannbarr

We are sailing on the Allure of the Seas on April 5, 2015. We are booked in 2 Central Park Balcony cabins. We booked this cruise in January 2015. Final payment has been made. We usually book up to 12 months in advance.

Per the RCCL agent I spoke with recently, there are several hundred unbooked cabins even though this is during busy period (Spring Break, Easter, etc.). Many of these cabins are in ideal locations--midship, bumps, etc. So RCCL lowered the prices significantly to the tune of $200 lower per passenger which is $800 total for our family. That is approximately a 20% reduction in the cost.

Of course, we receive none of this back since final payment has been made several weeks ago. It makes me wonder if I should really book 3 months in advance again let alone my normal 12 months.

We are sailing on the Allure of the Seas on April 5, 2015. We are booked in 2 Central Park Balcony cabins. We booked this cruise in January 2015. Final payment has been made. We usually book up to 12 months in advance.

Per the RCCL agent I spoke with recently, there are several hundred unbooked cabins even though this is during busy period (Spring Break, Easter, etc.). Many of these cabins are in ideal locations--midship, bumps, etc. So RCCL lowered the prices significantly to the tune of $200 lower per passenger which is $800 total for our family. That is approximately a 20% reduction in the cost.

Of course, we receive none of this back since final payment has been made several weeks ago. It makes me wonder if I should really book 3 months in advance again let alone my normal 12 months.

Will they upgrade you to one of these locations?

Personally we have waited in the past and have gotten better deals. You can always upgrade or change your room but have to pay the difference. For our upcoming cruised booked 3 months out in an interior, 3 weeks before the cruise we upgraded to a central park balcony for $100

Although you don't get money back in this situation - you can upgrade to a different cabin and get the reduced price - or not pay anything at all for the upgrade based on the cost of the next category.

Even if you don't want a different type of cabin, the upgrade can be a different, more appealing location. Look into it, never know.

Although you don't get money back in this situation - you can upgrade to a different cabin and get the reduced price - or not pay anything at all for the upgrade based on the cost of the next category.

Even if you don't want a different type of cabin, the upgrade can be a different, more appealing location. Look into it, never know.

I know about being able to upgrade to a different cabin but we really wanted a CP Balcony which is why we booked it. We have adjoining cabins midship.

I can actually upgrade to a Junior Suite for $200 per person but we really don't want to ocean view balcony.

Know how you feel!!! Tried to book a Transatlantic cruise for May during their 48 hour cyber sale. Because it was a transatlantic and I would have to call my daughter in the UK . I asked for it to be a 24 courtesy hold. She said they would do that. The RCI agent gave me a price and got all the way to giving me a confirmation number and the phone went dead. She had my phone, email and C&A info so I waited a few for her to call back.

Nothing -- so I called back in 3/5 minutes and they couldn't find her. The next agent attempted to locate her but said "she may have gone to lunch". She searched for the entries and couldn't find it. So we started to book it again. The price exploded and she added she couldn't do a 24 hr hold as it was against policy. I was surprised as I had just did that for a Jan 16 cruise which I did book within the 24 hours.

She turned me over to a higher level agent; who did contact the original agent. The reason the phone went dead was that "her" cube lost all power. So the reservation/hold did not go through.

After she was told of the "NEW" policy (their words--not mine) she said (oh) she wasn't going to do that. I am told the lines are taped and yes I do have names and times of the calls. I did ask if there was someone who would research the call and honor the price as it as still listed on the RC website and it was their issue with losing the call and info.

No cooperation--said he was not at a level who could do that. I requested him to have someone who had the authority to research my call(s) contact me. This will supposedly be done Monday (after the sale ends).

Taking bets!!!!! And will keep posting what C&A says and does.

Well, I'd upgrade to an ocean view balcony in a heartbeat in your situation, but if you have decided that you really want to stay in your C cabins, then you have made your choice. Not so much that the line won't do anything for you, just that you do not want the enhansement offered.

Booking early or booking late is a tough call. If I wanted connecting cabins on a specific ship during spring break, I'd have booked early, as you did. I wait if I'm flexible about timing, ship, cabins, etc, especially in a low demand period.

Enjoy the vacation.

One of the booking tactics we use if we really want a certain date and ship, especially one that requires an overseas flight that typically requires one to book far in advance, and the price of the category we want isn't to our liking is to get the lowest price cabin, usually an inside gty and watch for price reductions after the final payment date on higher category cabins that we can pay to upgrade to. This has worked for us most times but once in a while we end up staying in the lower category originally booked and we're fine with that as we would never have paid the higher price for a certain category anyway.

Granted this may not be a good option for a family that require two close together cabins.

Just spoke with my wife and it looks like we are going to make a change. We are moving from adjoining cabins-CP Balcony Deck 11 to adjoining cabins Junior Suite Deck 8. The cost is about $200 more per person but we get cabins that are about 100 sf larger and the cabins are actually on the hump: 8642 and 8644 so we also get larger balconies.,

We love the Central Park area on the Allure and Oasis so we are getting the best of both worlds.

Know how you feel!!! Tried to book a Transatlantic cruise for May during their 48 hour cyber sale. Because it was a transatlantic and I would have to call my daughter in the UK . I asked for it to be a 24 courtesy hold. She said they would do that. The RCI agent gave me a price and got all the way to giving me a confirmation number and the phone went dead. She had my phone, email and C&A info so I waited a few for her to call back.

Nothing -- so I called back in 3/5 minutes and they couldn't find her. The next agent attempted to locate her but said "she may have gone to lunch". She searched for the entries and couldn't find it. So we started to book it again. The price exploded and she added she couldn't do a 24 hr hold as it was against policy. I was surprised as I had just did that for a Jan 16 cruise which I did book within the 24 hours.

She turned me over to a higher level agent; who did contact the original agent. The reason the phone went dead was that "her" cube lost all power. So the reservation/hold did not go through.

After she was told of the "NEW" policy (their words--not mine) she said (oh) she wasn't going to do that. I am told the lines are taped and yes I do have names and times of the calls. I did ask if there was someone who would research the call and honor the price as it as still listed on the RC website and it was their issue with losing the call and info.

No cooperation--said he was not at a level who could do that. I requested him to have someone who had the authority to research my call(s) contact me. This will supposedly be done Monday (after the sale ends).

Power outage! What bad timing. If her power was totally out, she probably could not call you back or regain your info to ask somebody else to call you back. That is a shame. No matter the reason, as the hold was not completed, my bet is the price is not locked in and prevailing price applies.

As you say the price showed on the website, did you try doing an online booking/courtesy hold?

Have you checked to see if that sailing is also on this week's sale? Maybe you'll have another opportuninty.

Just spoke with my wife and it looks like we are going to make a change. We are moving from adjoining cabins-CP Balcony Deck 11 to adjoining cabins Junior Suite Deck 8. The cost is about $200 more per person but we get cabins that are about 100 sf larger and the cabins are actually on the hump: 8642 and 8644 so we also get larger balconies.,

We love the Central Park area on the Allure and Oasis so we are getting the best of both worlds.

Good for you! enjoy the extra space and the serenity of the ocean.

Sounds like a plan! Congrats. :)

Turns out it is $300 more per person because I lose my OBC promotion. And the cabins are next to each other but not adjoining. Now I need to think about this a little longer. $1,200 for 4 people is a lot of money. I could always hold out for a while and see if the price drops even further.

Power outage! What bad timing. If her power was totally out, she probably could not call you back or regain your info to ask somebody else to call you back. That is a shame. No matter the reason, as the hold was not completed, my bet is the price is not locked in and prevailing price applies.

As you say the price showed on the website, did you try doing an online booking/courtesy hold?

Have you checked to see if that sailing is also on this week's sale? Maybe you'll have another opportuninty.

Thanks for the advice.

I did call back within minutes and the phones were answered by another agent in OR.

Because I am a solo traveler the website seems to not be able to computer a correct price. Like to use TAs to work out the details, but the ones I use are closed weekends.

Loyal to Royal--- at least at the moment.

It is kind of ironic that as mad as I am I sit here wearing my RCI shirt.

Just what RC to be loyal back.

If anyone has looked at the Tuesday special for any amount of time you'll notice that the Oasis/Allure are always on it. Those are always after final payment and the best deals are usually around 30 days out. Unless you have to have a certain cabin or going during a peak period, book after final.:cool:

Biker, who just booked a cruise at half the price before final.

We booked FOS about 5 weeks out and did see a drop. When I called there was not enough of a difference to give us an upgrade without additional $$. Sort of pissed me off that it's like spinning the big wheel for cruise fares. If you're lucky you get a good rate. Wish the price was just the price without all the adjustments.

Turns out it is $300 more per person because I lose my OBC promotion. And the cabins are next to each other but not adjoining. Now I need to think about this a little longer. $1,200 for 4 people is a lot of money. I could always hold out for a while and see if the price drops even further.

Did you have a $200 per cabin OBC or was it just $100 per? Also, have you stayed in C category before? Personally, I don't find them appealing at all and would much prefer another room category. Obviously that's just my preference but if it haven't actually stayed in one before you may not like it as much as you think.

Addressing your original question about booking 12 or 3 months in advance. I booked Allure for April 12 in March of 2014. The price for the same category would be $800 more today. There aren't even any ocean balconies left on the April 12th sailing. So, I'd say booking 12 months in advance was way better for me.

Still nothing from RCI :(:confused::mad:

Edited by scootersdad

Personally we have waited in the past and have gotten better deals. You can always upgrade or change your room but have to pay the difference. For our upcoming cruised booked 3 months out in an interior, 3 weeks before the cruise we upgraded to a central park balcony for $100

That's what I always do. Interior and wait for price drop, if there are nine which I dough I'm super happy with my interior cabin. That's I know this is a game that most people are not willing to play

Thanks for the advice.

I did call back within minutes and the phones were answered by another agent in OR.

Because I am a solo traveler the website seems to not be able to computer a correct price. Like to use TAs to work out the details, but the ones I use are closed weekends.

Loyal to Royal--- at least at the moment.

It is kind of ironic that as mad as I am I sit here wearing my RCI shirt.

Just what RC to be loyal back.

Are you calling 800-526-9723? That's how you get the best results, IME.