Transfer to Horseshoe Bay Beach

travelling duo

"Best" means different things to different people.

Assuming your ship will be docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard, "best" typically has three possible answers:

Taxi is best for privacy, comfort and speed of getting to the beach. For one to four passengers, a taxi will cost about $35 each way...more for 5 to 7 passengers and more on Sundays.

Bus is best for having the cheapest price, $4.50 for a token in each direction. But, it will take longer than the other options and you're likely to be crowded in with 40 or so of your closest friends whom you've never met before.

Mini bus shuttle service costs $7 per person in each direction , so it lies between the first two choices.

Also taxis and mini buses take you all the way down the hill to the beach while the bus drops you on the side of the road, leaving you a walk down and up a steep hill. There is a private van driver who will take down the hill for $1 per person or up for $2.

Edited by njhorseman

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Is there visible signage as to where you pick up the mini bus to Horseshoe and does this operate on Sunday's and Holidays?

You can't miss the minibuses when you get off your ship. There are signs too. I expect they operate on Sunday if their drivers decide they want to work that day and make money.

a406f6720fc2e8e637b5c653e79aeed0.jpg

ba4e8bd16881ddcbf0b3a98c03a1681c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Hi

Is there visible signage as to where you pick up the mini bus to Horseshoe and does this operate on Sunday's and Holidays?

Zones.jpg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/<a href=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/SailBadtheSinner/media/Bermuda/Zones.jpg.html rel=nofollow target=_blank>Zones.jpghttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/<a href=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/SailBadtheSinner/media/Bermuda/Zones.jpg.html rel=nofollow target=_blank>Zones.jpg

Would anyone know if the vans would start as early as 8:30 am on Labor Day? I'd like to head out to Horseshoe before the Anthem arrives at 9.

No one can say with any certainty. If a minibus operator wants to make money they'll be working that morning. If they want to take a holiday they won't. They are privately owned businesses not public transportation, so it's up to the individual owners/operators. My guess is that many or most will work because the cruise season is their opportunity to make money, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't a full compliment of mini buses operating.

( For anyone wanting to chime in about Labor Day being a US holiday, not a holiday in Bermuda, you are wrong. Labour Day is a major public holiday in Bermuda, celebrated on the same day as Labor Day in the USA.)

"Best" means different things to different people.

Mini bus shuttle service costs $7 per person in each direction , so it lies between the first two choices.

Mini bus sounds great. Where do you pick that up and do they run on a schedule back or do you need to book it?

Also do you know how many people they can carry?

Thanks

Following. Also interested in knowing how to coordinate ride back (from Horse Shoe Bay) using the minivan option. Are there scheduled times? Just coordinate directly with driver? wait and watch for minivans in parking lot at Horse Shoe Bay?

Following. Also interested in knowing how to coordinate ride back (from Horse Shoe Bay) using the minivan option. Are there scheduled times? Just coordinate directly with driver? wait and watch for minivans in parking lot at Horse Shoe Bay?

No scheduled time. They run back and forth between the Dockyard and Horseshoe. When I returned in the afternoon there were seven or eight ready for passengers. When we were ready to go back we went to where they park, same place we were dropped off, and got in.

848490f56e7581fb03b8a446ac87bfa8.jpg

Mini bus sounds great. Where do you pick that up and do they run on a schedule back or do you need to book it?

Also do you know how many people they can carry?

Thanks

See the posts above for where to catch them at the Dockyard. #5 and #7. You can't miss the Minibuses. The first thing you see when getting off the ship are taxis and then the minibuses. They don't run on a schedule from either end. They get a bunch of passengers, try to fill them up and then leave.

There are different sizes. They are private operators and there is no standard minibus. What size is your group?

Edited by Charles4515

There are different sizes. They are private operators and there is no standard minibus. What size is your group?

We have 14 that may be interested in going.

We have 14 that may be interested in going.

I have seen minibuses that can accommodate that many. They have those fold up seats so after they fill the fixed seats they fill the spaces.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
No scheduled time. They run back and forth between the Dockyard and Horseshoe. When I returned in the afternoon there were seven or eight ready for passengers. When we were ready to go back we went to where they park, same place we were dropped off, and got in.

848490f56e7581fb03b8a446ac87bfa8.jpg

This seems like a better option to me than the bus. We have always taken the bus but I have heard recently there has been long waits (after you walk up the hill) to get the bus back to the ship. For 2.50 more (bus I believe is 4.50) I think we will choose the mini bus option this time around.

Totally the way to go.

Gonna be there Monday coming up and my wife and I will do it this way back and forth.

This seems like a better option to me than the bus. We have always taken the bus but I have heard recently there has been long waits (after you walk up the hill) to get the bus back to the ship. For 2.50 more (bus I believe is 4.50) I think we will choose the mini bus option this time around.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the difference between the mini bus and RCL's transfer? Huge price difference. Why do folks use ship transfer?

I thought the price difference was that the ship transfer included beach chair and umbrella, but it doesn't. Both are done in minibuses. I don't know.

JMHO. People use the ship transfer because they're afraid to DIY. They've been brainwashed into thinking a cruise ship excursion is the best way to go, and don't know about Cruise Critic.

SBtS

You can get there several ways. There are minibuses at the shipyard that are $7 per person each way. You just get on and go. A taxi will cost $40 each way for up to 4 people. You can take the public bus also. It will drop you off at the top of the hill rather than the bottom. It is totally easy to take the minibuses that is what I would recommend. 2 chairs and an umbrella run 40.

My goodness -- for our family of 8 there is a huge difference between ship transfer at $270 vs. $112 for mini bus. And that's all you get? Why do people do this? Is it really that simple to get the mini bus, both ways? We have young people and old people in our group.

My goodness -- for our family of 8 there is a huge difference between ship transfer at $270 vs. $112 for mini bus. And that's all you get? Why do people do this? Is it really that simple to get the mini bus, both ways? We have young people and old people in our group.

Last August I traveled with a group of 8-- aged 85 thru 25. It is that simple. :-). My only suggestion would be to get off the ship early and not be the last ones to leave the beach.

There are taxi dispatchers waiting at the taxi stand. We got a van that took all of us. We divided the cost up and then each threw in an extra dollar tip. On the return from Horseshoe same thing. In the parking lot there is a taxi dispatcher who will call over the van. We never had to wait, there were vans waiting. The drivers like large groups they fill the van and go.