Liberty of the seas drink package question!

socbay3

First time royal cruiser here! When can you start using the card in Galveston? I know carnival you can’t use it until the second day but wasn’t sure how royal worked. Also how much is the drink limit per day, carnival has 15 a day limit. How much is the price limit, carnival is $50 per drink. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can use it as soon as you board however the brands of alcohol are limited until in international waters. There is no drink limit per day. Drink limit is $12/drink if over you pay the difference plus 18% gratuity. My husband didn't find many drinks over the limit.

as already said on liberty no limit on amount of drinks and any drink up to 12 dollars (some of newer ships its 13) but this covers at least 95 percent of drinks, all 12 year old scotch's were covered , also 18 year old chevis regal was covered , we pay extra for some wines so if I order a 15 dollar glass of wine I pay 3 dollars plus tip on 3 dollars , so total would be 3.54. also day 1 limited selection of drinks for first few hours, bartenders also will give you a double if you request it.

Texas TABC law only allows for the sale of alcoholic beverages sold in port which were purchased in Texas due to tax regulations (or something like that). For RC cruises, you can immediately use the drink package to purchase but selection will be limited until the ship hits international waters. Carnival claims "due to state law, they can't allow the use of their package until the second day" when leaving from Galveston. Seems odd to me that Royal can but they can't. I would think the same law would apply to both...

There was a smiliar thread a couple months ago. I was trying to get my head around it. The applicable part is Texas law doesn't allow "unlimited" packages to be sold. My initial thought if you had pre-purchased it online, then it wouldn't be applicable.

However I was informed in that thread that upon boarding a RCCL ship in Texas you can purchase the package and immediately start to take advantage of it. However, if you are on a Carnival ship, no matter if you prepurchased it or waited until you board you can't use it until the next day.

I also agree, how RCCL can do this and Carnival can't or won't.

Texas TABC law only allows for the sale of alcoholic beverages sold in port which were purchased in Texas due to tax regulations (or something like that). For RC cruises, you can immediately use the drink package to purchase but selection will be limited until the ship hits international waters. Carnival claims "due to state law, they can't allow the use of their package until the second day" when leaving from Galveston. Seems odd to me that Royal can but they can't. I would think the same law would apply to both...

... I also agree, how RCCL can do this and Carnival can't or won't.

Guessing that Carnival does not want to bother with buying enough Texas stamped alcohol to cover their drink packages.

Carnival does not want a lower profit margin. They will sell you the same liquor you can get on RCI until outside US waters, then use the contract liquors. Nothing to do with legal or illegal, profit margin.

i agree but Carnival tries to cover it up. this is taken directly from their site in the Cheers FAQ which i find laughable.

• Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers%21-beverage-program

The info about Carnival is partially correct. They may not sell it to passengers or let them use it, but since it's a cashless system, those who pre-purchased it or purchase it on day 2 will just have day 1's drinks credited back. It's not like they are paying with cash or card, it all gets charged to seapass account. Then when the drink package kicks in on day 2, the day 1 drinks are covered.

So basically they cover themselves with all that extra verbiage.

There was a smiliar thread a couple months ago. I was trying to get my head around it. The applicable part is Texas law doesn't allow "unlimited" packages to be sold. My initial thought if you had pre-purchased it online, then it wouldn't be applicable.

However I was informed in that thread that upon boarding a RCCL ship in Texas you can purchase the package and immediately start to take advantage of it. However, if you are on a Carnival ship, no matter if you prepurchased it or waited until you board you can't use it until the next day.

I also agree, how RCCL can do this and Carnival can't or won't.

I believe it comes down to interpretation of the law. I actually don't see how RCCL is allowed to sell and let passengers use a drink package in Texas waters. Though I'm certainly not complaining!! ;):D

16 TAC 45.103 ©(11)

© Licensees and permittees authorized to sell or serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption may not:

(4) sell, serve, or offer to sell or serve an undetermined quantity of alcoholic beverages for a fixed price or "all you can drink" basis;

All I can think of is Carnival is going by ©(4) above and RCCL is perhaps using (d) below [Perhaps that you're required to purchase a cruise ticket is enough to make it a "private" party? ;p]:

(d) The provisions of subsections ©(1) through ©(7) do not apply where:

(1) the permittee or licensee has entered into an agreement under the terms of which all or a portion of the licensed premises are utilized for a private party or a meeting of a particular organization; or

(2) a caterer's or other temporary permit or license is used for a private party or a meeting of a particular organization.

i agree but Carnival tries to cover it up. this is taken directly from their site in the Cheers FAQ which i find laughable.

• Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers%21-beverage-program

It has been illegal in Texas for years to sell a one price all you can drink so I believe Carnival could be correct. See my post above - I think it comes down to interpretation of the law. In my younger days Texas bars would have specials on "off" nights (like a Tues/Wed) where you could get all you could drink beer for $5. A law was created to crack down on this over-consumption encouragement. Hey - we had to get our money's worth, right! ;p

The info about Carnival is partially correct. They may not sell it to passengers or let them use it, but since it's a cashless system, those who pre-purchased it or purchase it on day 2 will just have day 1's drinks credited back. It's not like they are paying with cash or card, it all gets charged to seapass account. Then when the drink package kicks in on day 2, the day 1 drinks are covered.

So basically they cover themselves with all that extra verbiage.

This info about Carnival out of Galveston isn't correct either. You aren't able to purchase an alcohol package for the 1st day at all. On a 7 day cruise they only charge you for 6 days. Any drinks you have on the 1st day (boarding thru 6am the next morning) are charged a la carte. Since you only pay for 6 days of the package this is "fair". Some people on the Carnival boards have complained because they can't even get non-alcohol drinks on the 1st day but it's because they haven't paid any package price at all for the 1st day so these drinks are a la carte also.

as already said on liberty no limit on amount of drinks and any drink up to 12 dollars (some of newer ships its 13) but this covers at least 95 percent of drinks, all 12 year old scotch's were covered , also 18 year old chevis regal was covered , we pay extra for some wines so if I order a 15 dollar glass of wine I pay 3 dollars plus tip on 3 dollars , so total would be 3.54. also day 1 limited selection of drinks for first few hours, bartenders also will give you a double if you request it.

Awesome! Thanks for a great explanation!!!

That’s what I thought!!!!

It has been illegal in Texas for years to sell a one price all you can drink so I believe Carnival could be correct. See my post above - I think it comes down to interpretation of the law. In my younger days Texas bars would have specials on "off" nights (like a Tues/Wed) where you could get all you could drink beer for $5. A law was created to crack down on this over-consumption encouragement. Hey - we had to get our money's worth, right! ;p

This info about Carnival out of Galveston isn't correct either. You aren't able to purchase an alcohol package for the 1st day at all. On a 7 day cruise they only charge you for 6 days. Any drinks you have on the 1st day (boarding thru 6am the next morning) are charged a la carte. Since you only pay for 6 days of the package this is "fair". Some people on the Carnival boards have complained because they can't even get non-alcohol drinks on the 1st day but it's because they haven't paid any package price at all for the 1st day so these drinks are a la carte also.

Yes you are correct about carnivals package. we pay per drink on the first day.

• 2 weeks later...

New to RCCL, with the drink package do you only pay the additional gratuity when going over the $12 limit or will there be gratuity charges for every drink i order in addition to what we pay for with the drink package? Thanks in advance.

New to RCCL, with the drink package do you only pay the additional gratuity when going over the $12 limit or will there be gratuity charges for every drink i order in addition to what we pay for with the drink package? Thanks in advance.

You pay all gratuities when you purchase the package.

You only pay additional gratuity if your drink price exceeds the max amount for the package,

First time royal cruiser here! When can you start using the card in Galveston? I know carnival you can’t use it until the second day but wasn’t sure how royal worked. Also how much is the drink limit per day, carnival has 15 a day limit. How much is the price limit, carnival is $50 per drink. Thank you in advance.

By the way Carnival change the limit on drinks as of 9/1 to $20.00

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...
Give Royal a year or two, I've already seen $15 drinks.

Do you have the drink package? Just wondering if the cutoff is $12 or $13? It seems to vary by ship. Not that it will stop me for ordering a $14.80 drink at least once a day.

Do you have the drink package? Just wondering if the cutoff is $12 or $13? It seems to vary by ship. Not that it will stop me for ordering a $14.80 drink at least once a day.

I'm not on a cruise now, but the limit varies ship to ship. In the past, for US based cruises, it seemed that the biggest ships (Quantum and Oasis classes) had a $13 limit, and the others had a $12 limit