Boxed Wine

excited balcony

We are flying from California and will not be able to stop from the airport to the cruise terminal to purchase bottles of wine. Traveling with bottles will be tricky, so I am planning to throw a box of wine in my luggage to bring aboard for drinking in my cabin. Will this be a problem getting on the ship? I know I have read that Oceania does not enforce the 3 bottle rule, but I wondered about box wine in checked luggage. Thanks!!

The 3 bottle rule is put in print, it has never been practiced or enforced to my knowledge in the past 5 years !

You are not limited to 3 bottles of wine ..... you can bring any liquor, beer or wine in any reasonable quantity on board. Many bring up to case lots you may continue to do so at every port as well......

:)

If you have to absolutely resort to boxed wine, get Bandit or Black Box. Everything else is "rot gut."

:):)

I know . .. :) Not my first choice, or second for that matter! Do you think we will have trouble bringing the boxes on board in our checked luggage?

It would be a shame to have to settle for boxed wine. :rolleyes: Traveling with bottles in your checked luggage is easy. Wrap them in bubble wrap and as an extra precaution wrap it again in T-shirts or other clothing. We've done that countless times over the years. Hundreds of bottles and we've never had one bottle break.

some airports have a wine store after baggage claim or if taking a taxi have the driver stop to pick up some wine

If not you can get bottle bags to put in checked bags for air travel it may add extra weight to your case

In anycase put wine in your carry on not checked bags for boarding the ship

Maybe you can pick some up at other port stops to enjoy in the cabin

some airports have a wine store after baggage claim or if taking a taxi have the driver stop to pick up some wine

If not you can get bottle bags to put in checked bags for air travel it may add extra weight to your case

In anycase put wine in your carry on not checked bags for boarding the ship

Maybe you can pick some up at other port stops to enjoy in the cabin

That is a great idea about picking up wine at the airport or at the different ports. Is there a reason not to put the wine in the checked bags? Thanks!

That is a great idea about picking up wine at the airport or at the different ports. Is there a reason not to put the wine in the checked bags? Thanks!

No there is not. You may bring box wine if it suits you. Enjoy your cruise!

We fly to the U.K. almost every year and take over bottles of wine & spirits as gifts. We use some nicely designed bottle protectors and pack them “nested” in the center of the suitcases. Haven’t had one break using this method.

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Wine-Bottle-Protector-Corkscrew/dp/B071DZW378

I'll put in another vote for those protective "cases" that you can buy (such as at Amazon or Magellans) but I've also just wrapped individual bottles in bubble wrap and some extra clothing items. Haven't lost anything yet!

I don't do this with too many items, however! On our return from Riviera one month ago today my suitcase was extra heavy because I had three bottles of wine and one of vodka in my suitcase ...

I wouldn't go the box wine route since it's easy (and safe) enough to bring bottles you LIKE. Not a case worth, of course, but certainly 3-4. Again, NOT in your carry-on! That's a good way to lose wine to the TSA people.

And as I'm sure has already been said -- you can make purchases at port stops along the way as well.

Mura

I thought I read someplace but maybe I am confused (it does happen sometimes) ;)

The taking wine/spirits onboard that it was to go in carry on :confused:

Someone will correct me if that is wrong info

If you are checking a case of wine I suppose it can go to the porters to load onboard

Ok A little off the track

Oceania has been updating their FAQ's & some are strange

who writes this stuff??

What is your alcohol policy for bringing bottles onboard?

The maximum of 3 bottles of independent wine (per stateroom, per cruise) can be brought on-board for the duration of the cruise. This includes guests flying with their own wine, or purchasing it on shore. We ask that guests let us know they are bringing wine on-board so the ship can be advised. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship’s dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

bolding is mine

So do we call ahead to let them know we have wine??

We are flying from California and will not be able to stop from the airport to the cruise terminal to purchase bottles of wine. Traveling with bottles will be tricky, so I am planning to throw a box of wine in my luggage to bring aboard for drinking in my cabin. Will this be a problem getting on the ship? I know I have read that Oceania does not enforce the 3 bottle rule, but I wondered about box wine in checked luggage. Thanks!!

Franzia Sunset Blush isn’t so bad. It’s actually refreshing.

I thought I read someplace but maybe I am confused (it does happen sometimes) ;)

The taking wine/spirits onboard that it was to go in carry on :confused:

Someone will correct me if that is wrong info

If you are checking a case of wine I suppose it can go to the porters to load onboard

Nothing allowed in carry-on on planes, EXCEPT if you buy duty free AT the airport and they will deliver it to the plane at the door of the plane. An Alternative .

Some airlines limit the amount of liquid you can check in luggage to 1 ltr. total

Why not buy a case and ship it as baggage then have it delivered with your luggage to the ship???

I think some people have a problem with reading & comprehension :rolleyes:

I said to take wine onboard the ship I thought it had to be in your carry on unless you had a case then you could send it with the checked bags at the dock

I'll go out on a limb here and venture a guess that you drink a lot of Sutter Home White Zinfandel.

If you can get to a Total Wine, look for Martin Ray Rosé of Pinot Noir (the Estate version). It may require breaking your piggy bank but, you will enjoy what is probably California's best Rosé by any measure.

I don’t drink wine at all. My husband is the wino, oops, I mean wine drinker. The rose he likes is named “Cotes de Provence”. For red he prefers wine from Barolo winery in the Piedmont region of Italy and Barbera di Asti from Sicily but we always bring a box of the Franzia Blush for back up. I drink Miller Lite but buy local beers in ports to bring back on the ship. I’ll have him check out the Martin Ray Rose’ If we can find it in our area.

We are flying from California and will not be able to stop from the airport to the cruise terminal to purchase bottles of wine.

Are you sailing from Miami??

You could get the taxi driver to stop at Publix or CVS near the port & pick up some wine

If you are considering bring boxed wine you probably could find a nice wine in either stores :halo:

Are you sailing from Miami??

You could get the taxi driver to stop at Publix or CVS near the port & pick up some wine

If you are considering bring boxed wine you probably could find a nice wine in either stores :halo:

Skip those places and head straight to Total Wine near South Beach.

I don’t drink wine at all. My husband is the wino, oops, I mean wine drinker. The rose he likes is named “Cotes de Provence”. For red he prefers wine from Barolo winery in the Piedmont region of Italy and Barbera di Asti from Sicily but we always bring a box of the Franzia Blush for back up. I drink Miller Lite but buy local beers in ports to bring back on the ship. I’ll have him check out the Martin Ray Rose’ If we can find it in our area.

Barbera d'Asti is not from Sicily. Rather, it's from the north of Italy.

Barolo isn't a winery. It's a type of red wine made from Nebbiolo grapes.

Likewise, Côtes de Provence is not a winery either. It is a wine region. So, there are a wide variety of producers and, of course, some are far better than others when it comes to making wine.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer