Replacing personal items on board

luxurysailer

We've been on fourteen cruises, and I don't know whether or not personal supplies (toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving lather, etc) can be purchased on board the ship. I assume the answer is yes, but the need has never arisen for either the DW or me. I would appreciate a response from those of you who know the definitive answer to this question.

We've been on fourteen cruises, and I don't know whether or not personal supplies (toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving lather, etc) can be purchased on board the ship. I assume the answer is yes, but the need has never arisen for either the DW or me. I would appreciate a response from those of you who know the definitive answer to this question.

They may not have every brand or your particular brand of personal item but they do have the basics. We're pretty good about our packing and don't often leave stuff home but I have run out of shaving cream and I think Mrs. K forgot her toothpaste....and didn't like mine.....so we have had to buy an item or two over the years. :)

Certainly you will not find your favorite brands. I remember a small area near/or in the liquor shop with toiletries. I had to replace a toothbrush and learned the hard way to bring an extra one! I bought the last one they had too.

Thanks, I felt sure that was the case but just wanted to be sure. Due to my recent surgery, we're probably going to have to lighten up insofar as our carry-ons are concerned for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. The DW may be more receptive to this possibility if she is assured she can replenish anything that runs out.

Oh yes, eh2zed, the answer to your question at the bottom of your response is a definite "yes."

I had to replace my hair spray on the Rotterdam as customs had confiscated it. The same brand (only one available) that cost me $1.00 at the Dollar Tree store in Ft. Lauderdale cost $4.99 on board.

Yes, you can replace things but it will be a lot more expensive. If going to Alaska, you may be able to find things cheaper on shore.

Thanks, I felt sure that was the case but just wanted to be sure. Due to my recent surgery, we're probably going to have to lighten up insofar as our carry-ons are concerned for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. The DW may be more receptive to this possibility if she is assured she can replenish anything that runs out.

Oh yes, eh2zed, the answer to your question at the bottom of your response is a definite "yes."

Just remember to ask for "assistance" from the cruise line and airlines.

My DH has walking problems so we always ask for wheelchair assistance and I can then put my carryon bags on his lap. If you are

flying into the departure port a day or two early --- plan a stop at a

Walmart or similiar to get your travel essentials.

You can't find very many personal things for sale, the prices are high and they aren't restocked very often.

If you need some things, it is likely you can find a suitable product in port.

Luxurysailer, isn't it the truth though.

I had to replace my hair spray on the Rotterdam as customs had confiscated it. The same brand (only one available) that cost me $1.00 at the Dollar Tree store in Ft. Lauderdale cost $4.99 on board.

Yes, you can replace things but it will be a lot more expensive. If going to Alaska, you may be able to find things cheaper on shore.

Why did "CUSTOMS" confiscate your hairspray? :confused:

The answer is YES you can purchase on board a few of the basics

What my DH and I do is make a list before leaving home. Normally we sail from Seattle [Asia/Australia or Ft Lauderdale [Europe] and the cruises are longish AND in foreign ports. So "Sample size" isn't applicable nor are "our" brands available. Both major cities have good supermarkets near the hotels we frequent and flying in a day early lets us shop easily/and hit a book store.

Getting your purchases on board isn't a problem & we pack an old HAL bag to carry our purchases[canvas ]

"Sail7Seas" we had a 4 ounce CLEAR container of Colgate GREEN toothpaste confiscated by TSA.....THAT led up to the list and LATER purchases for 2 month cruises! I wondered what it was about 4 ounces/GREEN sparkles MINTY that was so "suspicious". The halfwit that confiscated it said "It's 4 ounces - you need 3" ........??????

Confiscation by TSA is not unusual.

I was curious about the Poster saying CUSTOMS confiscated the hairspray. I can't figure that out.

I think "customs" is a generic term people use for officials at ports and airports.

ANSalberg, yup, three ounces is the limit for each item in carryon, and they must all fit into a quart ziplock bag. If it's a 4 ounce tube of toothpaste and you have obviously squeezed out more than half, it doesn't matter. If the container is more than 3 ounces, it's a no-go.

You may take toothpaste, shampoo, etc in your checked luggage, and those may be larger containers. I double zipbag anthing like that if it goes into checked luggage.

Confiscation by TSA is not unusual.

I was curious about the Poster saying CUSTOMS confiscated the hairspray. I can't figure that out.

As we were flying from Toronto to Amsterdam and the ship departed from Rotterdam, I suspect it was the customs people here or in Amsterdam.

This is the first time I have ever heard of customs anywhere confiscating hairspray. Was there something unusual about the circumstances involved?

Has anyone else ever had hairspray confiscated by customs of any country?

I wonder if they may have had reason to believe that the contents were something other than hairspray.

An Alaska cruise is nothing at all like traveling in a 3rd world country. You will be stopping at Alaska ports where you can pick up pretty much anything you want.

For example, at Ketchikan there is a large Tongass general store right on the dock, a drugstore directly across the street, and a free shuttle to a nearby Walmart. Hope this helps to give your wife whatever reassurance she may need.

The TSA says liquids, gels, need to be 3.4 oz. or less (or 100 ml or less in volume). I see some of the small items in WalMart, etc. coming at 4 oz. and wonder why they don't size it as TSA insists.

Archived