NCL Bidding Process - Bid Range & Success Discussion Only Please

jhigg93761

Please don't ask questions pertaining to the bidding process. There are 100 other threads with that information. I am requesting this forum only be a discussion of if you succeeded or not.

Bid Range - Poor / Good / Excellent. What scale did you bid?

Original Category / Bid Category

If your willing to provide the offer amount. $

Did your bid win or not?

Thanks!!

And this is called a "thread" not a "forum".

Technically - a thread can also be a forum.

a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their findings on the NCL bidding process"

Certainly good intentions, but not really good idea.

What is available for bid, and what is successful will vary between cruises. What gets you upgraded on one sailing might not be good enough...even on another sailing of the exact same ship.

NCL is counting on letting everyone "wait" in the hopes that people get nervous and up their bids. Cabins are only going to be given to those willing to part with the most money.

Remember...everyone else here is your competition for that upgrade. Publishing details of your bid...even vague details like a "fair" or "good" bid is information that someone else can use to outbid you. There is another thread right now where someone posted that they bid $770 for a Haven cabin...just hope someone else on their sailing doesn't come along and bid $775 and snatch the cabin for themselves. (D'oh :o)

You don't win at poker letting everyone else see your cards...you won't win here sharing your bid amounts or strategies.

You don't find out until 2 days or so in advance so therefor I'm not asking for folks to divulge their cards up front. Curious what has been successful in the past.

Not useful considering the past has no bearing what-so-ever on the present or future.

For example:

For Cruise #1 there are 3 balcony cabins available. This means that the three highest bidders will win the upgrade...regardless of the amount of their bid. So even if the three highest bidders bid $100, $150, and $175 pp, they will be the winners.

For Cruise #2 there might only be 1 balcony cabin available. If the high bidder bids $400, then that is what it will take to win for that sailing...doesn't matter that three other people in the other sailing were successful with lower bids. OTOH...if the high bidder on this sailing only bids $50, then THAT will be the amount of the winning bid...again...just for THIS sailing.

You can collect all of the numbers from all of the sailings you want. But unless you know the number of cabins available for bid, the total number of bidders, and the cut-off for the winning bids, none of it will be useful. All these numbers are going to do is give people "ideas" and make them nervous...which will cause some of them to keep upping their bids which means more and more money for NCL. This is EXACTLY what they want...we are being pitted against each other in a silent auction which benefits NCL. Don't give them ammo...don't feed the frenzy. Even AFTER it is all over. (There is a reason that poker players don't show their hands when their opponents all fold).

Be smart about this.

The bidding amount or winning bid doesn't mean anything except for your particular cruise.

I read in another thread that the lowest bid for a Haven was $1000 pp. But for a cruise I'm on the lowest bid for Haven is $400 pp. So what one person would bid on one cruise won't apply to any other cruise.

I bid minimally for our upcoming cruise on the Gem. We have OV and I bid $65pp for balcony. Listed as "poor" on the range finder thing. Not expecting much but I am not gonna be one of the idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I bid minimally for our upcoming cruise on the Gem. We have OV and I bid $65pp for balcony. Listed as "poor" on the range finder thing. Not expecting much but I am not gonna be one of the idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Except of course that everyone on your sailing now knows that they only have to bid $70 to outbid you on the balcony cabin. :eek: IOW...by revealing your bid, you just set the new minimum for balcony cabins on your cruise and thus have driven the price up....and NCL thanks you for that.

I think there are just too many variables to keep track. I have been watching these threads for a couple of weeks and I think it has to do with how many rooms are left, how many people want the upgrades, and what the original room was. Meaning there are more upgrades to be had for Inside to Balcony or OV or Mini but not as many for Mini to Haven. Not necessarily where their bid landed on the meter. I have seen where people bid the minimum and get it and people who bid more and don't get it. There are also different minimums for different trips. In my opinion, it is impossible to track. I have bid what I am comfortable with and hope for the best. It's all a crap shoot!

So I'm the only one that doesn't care if it's useful information. I just find it interesting.

It's pretty obvious past success on a certain sailing is probably of little use in predicting what will work in the future. I also think most people know that showing your cards, assuming they are being truthful, can only benefit

others in bidding against you. I simply find it interesting to hear what has worked or not worked for people.

• Like 1

So I have never done this whole bidding thing. Where do u bid? Do u just call NCL? How far in advance do you call before sailing? This is very interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

You might get an invitation when logging on to ncl.com and/or receive one by email.

I received one at about 45dys out, others report 70-80dys out.

The program is being rolled out and may not yet be fleet wide.

You might get an invitation when logging on to ncl.com and/or receive one by email.

I received one at about 45dys out, others report 70-80dys out.

The program is being rolled out and may not yet be fleet wide.

Can you tell me what email address the invite is from? I worry it will go to spam!

TIA!

i also want to understand more about teh metrics.

for example, does a Platinum person placing a good bid have a better chance than a Bronze person placing am excellent bid?

Call me cynical, but I'm going with the $$$.

• 2 weeks later...
Except of course that everyone on your sailing now knows that they only have to bid $70 to outbid you on the balcony cabin. :eek: IOW...by revealing your bid, you just set the new minimum for balcony cabins on your cruise and thus have driven the price up....and NCL thanks you for that.

Except I don't know her sail date...so what she bid doesn't change anything. This is a good idea and ppl shouldn't knock it. This is a whole new process and ppl are going to want to talk about it.