NCL Bidding Process - Bid Range & Success Discussion Only Please

jhigg93761

There's already a thread for this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2453189 Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So true. There are actually quite a few similar threads going. Between folks starting new ones, and jumping into older ones, it goes round and round.

So it goes! LOL

(see you soon on the Jade)

• 3 months later...
The bidding amount or winning bid doesn't mean anything except for your particular cruise.

I read in another thread that the lowest bid for a Haven was $1000 pp. But for a cruise I'm on the lowest bid for Haven is $400 pp. So what one person would bid on one cruise won't apply to any other cruise.

It’s also where your original booked cabin is...a suite will have a less starting bid than a balcony...for me the options start at $2500/pp to upgrade from a balcony to a 3 bedroom haven suite and $25/pp to a mini suite... it also depends on how full the ship is.

We are booked on a 9 day Mexican Riviera cruise. My friend bid $45.00 each for upgrade to oceanview and $75.00 for upgrade to balcony. I checked my reservation today ( we are 65 days out ), we were moved to an oceanview with porthole window. I don't care where I am as long as I am on the ship, but wonder if once they accept your upgrade if they might still move it or if that is your cabin? Just wonder what other people have experienced. I actually like where the upgraded cabin is as it is midship near elevators instead of inside all the way forward. Just curious if anyone has been changed later.

Candi

• 7 months later...

;)Sailing with a group of friends and leaving within a month. Several of us bid and so far only 1 couple has been accepted. They were in a balcony and bid for a mini suite. Poor minimum was $25pp and they bid slightly above it still within the poor range. Will let you know in a few weeks if any of the rest of us were accepted.:confused:

Edited by vayka
Include original thread

Please don't ask questions pertaining to the bidding process. There are 100 other threads with that information. I am requesting this forum only be a discussion of if you succeeded or not.

Bid Range - Poor / Good / Excellent. What scale did you bid?

Original Category / Bid Category

If your willing to provide the offer amount. $

Did your bid win or not?

Thanks!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651424

Retracted our bid and below is why. This may be slightly off topic but useful for those of you who have placed bids and may need to watch pricing changes.

We were in Category SE (Aft Penthouse Suite)

H3 (Owners Suite) minimum starting bid was $600 per person

SC (2 BR) minimum starting bid was $200 per person

Prices for these suites had dropped considerably over time, yet our SE either stayed the same or increased. (It must be in high demand). I noticed the price for the SC dropped to a $600 difference to what we paid. I was pretty sure a minimum starting bid for SC ($200 pp/$400 total) wouldn't win and to offer the smallest bid that would get me out of the "poor" and into the "fair bid", it would total $570. I called my TA to see what it would cost if I outright paid for the SC (no bid just pay for a room change). They quoted $600 plus an extra $100 OBC. I took it. ;p

Retracted our bid and below is why. This may be slightly off topic but useful for those of you who have placed bids and may need to watch pricing changes.

Prices for these suites had dropped considerably over time, yet our SE either stayed the same or increased. (It must be in high demand). I noticed the price for the SC dropped to a $600 difference to what we paid. I was pretty sure a minimum starting bid for SC ($200 pp/$400 total) wouldn't win and to offer the smallest bid that would get me out of the "poor" and into the "fair bid", it would total $570. I called my TA to see what it would cost if I outright paid for the SC (no bid just pay for a room change). They quoted $600 plus an extra $100 OBC. I took it. ;p

This is why it's so important to pay attention to pricing. Not just when you place your bid, but going forward as well. We were able to upgrade to a suite last year for less than a low bid & picked up the additional perks as well.

I have no doubt there are times that winning bidders end up paying more than if they had just payed for the upgrade.

Both of our friends traveling with us got their bids accepted. They had balcony rooms and were upgraded to mini suites. Minimum bid was $25, they bid in the low poor range and it was accepted. There are a lot of rooms left on this ship and it leaves. In 2 weeks so they were lucky.

We are in a B9 Spa Balcony and we received the upgrade message at precisely 80 days, so they must have worked out the kinks with the system. I'm guessing they were modifying the bidding process to allow upgrading specifically to a spa cabin. We are still deciding whether we want to upgrade or not, but here are the minimum bids (per person for first 2 occupants).

1. H2 - Deluxe Owners Suite: $1,500

2. H3 - Owners Suite: $1,500

3. H4 - 2 Bedroom: $1,000

4. H6 - Aft Penthouse: $750

5. H7 - Forward facing penthouse: $400

6. Spa Minisuite: $55 (I think this option is new?!)

We are in a B9 Spa Balcony and we received the upgrade message at precisely 80 days, so they must have worked out the kinks with the system. I'm guessing they were modifying the bidding process to allow upgrading specifically to a spa cabin. We are still deciding whether we want to upgrade or not, but here are the minimum bids (per person for first 2 occupants).

1. H2 - Deluxe Owners Suite: $1,500

2. H3 - Owners Suite: $1,500

3. H4 - 2 Bedroom: $1,000

4. H6 - Aft Penthouse: $750

5. H7 - Forward facing penthouse: $400

6. Spa Minisuite: $55 (I think this option is new?!)

Good information, thanks for sharing.

Are those always going to be the minimums for those category types, or are they specific only to your sailing?

Good information, thanks for sharing.

Are those always going to be the minimums for those category types, or are they specific only to your sailing?

I believe that minimum bids are cruise specific. We currently have 3 cruises booked & received upgrade bid offers for all. Each cruise had different minimums for the categories.

I believe that minimum bids are cruise specific. We currently have 3 cruises booked & received upgrade bid offers for all. Each cruise had different minimums for the categories.

Hmmmm. Now I don't know what to think. :confused:

If the minimum bids are, as you say, cruise specific, then what good does it do us here to know the minimum bids for a cruise we aren't on?

Having a shared background, I can appreciate the point you are making.

However, I stand by my original comments based on the one very important piece of information that this thread will NEVER provide...the number of available cabins.

THAT is what determines whether or not a bid is successful...nothing else.

For example, Sailing A could have 3 empty balcony cabins. The winning bidders will simply be the three people who bid the highest amounts. They could be $250, $275, and $300 in this case.

If on the very next sailing, which we will call Sailing B, there were also 3 empty balcony cabins, if the highest three bidders were to bid $100, $125, and $150, then those would be the winning bidders.

Winning amount for Sailing A is $250 and the winning amount for Sailing B is $100.

IOW...a bid of $200 would have been an easy winner for Sailing B, but a losing bid for Sailing A.

Doesn't matter which ship, doesn't matter which itinerary, doesn't matter which starting cabin...it is simply the number of available upgrades that determines the cutoff that will become the winning bid.

Another piece of very useful information would be the original price that you paid for the cabin. In other words, NCL probably looks at the total amount that you are paying for the cabin meaning original price paid and the cost of the upgrade.

For example, if guest X paid $1000 pp for a balcony in January and guest Y paid $1250 pp for a balcony in March, and both guest X and Y bid $200 pp, guest Y is likely to be awarded the upgrade because they are paying an “overall” higher price for the cabin.

Another piece of very useful information would be the original price that you paid for the cabin. In other words, NCL probably looks at the total amount that you are paying for the cabin meaning original price paid and the cost of the upgrade.

For example, if guest X paid $1000 pp for a balcony in January and guest Y paid $1250 pp for a balcony in March, and both guest X and Y bid $200 pp, guest Y is likely to be awarded the upgrade because they are paying an “overall” higher price for the cabin.

I disagree, with the additional revenue being the same ($200pp), I can't see that what was already paid becoming a factor. That is money already paid...it will not change...NCL would only be interested in ADDITIONAL revenue over and above that amount.

Remember, when a guest (either X or Y) is upgraded, then their cabin becomes available to yet another highest bidder. Wouldn't it make more sense to grant the upgrade to the person whose backfill bid is higher??

For example, if guest X paid $1000 pp for a balcony in January and guest Y paid $1250 pp for a balcony in March, and both guest X and Y bid $200 pp. Guest A has bid $100pp for the type of cabin Guest X is in, while Guest B has bid $50pp for the type of cabin Guest Y is in. Makes more sense to upgrade Guest X and then upgrade Guest A ($200pp + $100pp), rather than Guest Y then Guest B ($200pp + $50pp).

I disagree, with the additional revenue being the same ($200pp), I can't see that what was already paid becoming a factor. That is money already paid...it will not change...NCL would only be interested in ADDITIONAL revenue over and above that amount.

Remember, when a guest (either X or Y) is upgraded, then their cabin becomes available to yet another highest bidder. Wouldn't it make more sense to grant the upgrade to the person whose backfill bid is higher??

For example, if guest X paid $1000 pp for a balcony in January and guest Y paid $1250 pp for a balcony in March, and both guest X and Y bid $200 pp. Guest A has bid $100pp for the type of cabin Guest X is in, while Guest B has bid $50pp for the type of cabin Guest Y is in. Makes more sense to upgrade Guest X and then upgrade Guest A ($200pp + $100pp), rather than Guest Y then Guest B ($200pp + $50pp).

I agree that NCL has no financial imperative to consider original cabin cost in the event of a bidding tie. But in the previous poster example both were in balcony cabins, so both would have exact same back fill bids (currently balcony meta all one bid category; your logic would work if/when NCL breaks the balcony meta into subcategories for bidding).

To break a bidding tie, the bidding algorithm could use any number of factors (latitude status, orginal cost, cruise frequency, demographics, predicted profit modeling, random selection, or whatever else). They are not going to tell us how they do us, nor do they owe us an explanation. Kinda fun to speculate, though.

But in the previous poster example both were in balcony cabins, so both would have exact same back fill bids (currently balcony meta all one bid category; your logic would work if/when NCL breaks the balcony meta into subcategories for bidding).

You are overlooking some possibilities in making your assumptions.

Yes, in the previous poster's example both guests started out in Balcony cabins. However, it is incorrect to assume that they would be backfilled by people from identical cabin types. Either an INSIDE or an OCEANVIEW could bid on a balcony. Again, as I stated, it will be the combination that provides the most increased revenue. Nothing more, nothing less.

The entire design of the upgrade bid process is centered on maximizing revenue for NCL...and the more money they have, the less money WE have. This is all about marketing, creating demand, creating desire, and creating doubt so you can spend 78 days "tweaking" your bid higher and higher. "Hope I win" :hearteyes:

Hi all!!

A lot of activity on this topic. And yes, it is fun to speculate about the process as well as share results. NCL is in the business to maximize revenues. The process could be as simple as top x number bids for x cabins. It could get into a dizzying array of demographic considerations. But be assured, no matter how straightforward or complex the method is for resolving bids, this process is designed to increase revenues as much as possible/reasonable.

We have an upcoming cruise on NCL and have received “the email”.:eek:

In our case, we have a great balcony location and have bid to upgrade. We submitted reasonable bids for mini suites and bargain efforts for the Haven suites. All that is code for “Good” on the bid-o-meter for mini-suite and “Poor” for the Haven. That being said, I regularly watch the price and availability of the categories we submitted offers for. I’m aware of the total investment for each bid placed, including bid amount and original purchase price. No point in over paying by being complacent of market fluctuations. It can happen with price drops with particular sailings that when a bid that was placed it was initially a great value, then becomes a more expensive proposition than just calling NCL to upgrade. That situation did occur on our last NCL cruise.

So folks, book a great cabin up front. Win or lose in the upgrade bonanza and you still win!! If you make a Haven score, Congrats. Come back and gloat for us!! I think an “affordable” Haven cruise would be a slice of heaven for most.

I’ll be happy to share our results, but as Sand Shark states, why give up bidding leverage by sharing too much information. :)

Cheers!!!

Hi all!!

A lot of activity on this topic. And yes, it is fun to speculate about the process as well as share results. NCL is in the business to maximize revenues. The process could be as simple as top x number bids for x cabins. It could get into a dizzying array of demographic considerations. But be assured, no matter how straightforward or complex the method is for resolving bids, this process is designed to increase revenues as much as possible/reasonable.

We have an upcoming cruise on NCL and have received “the email”.:eek:

In our case, we have a great balcony location and have bid to upgrade. We submitted reasonable bids for mini suites and bargain efforts for the Haven suites. All that is code for “Good” on the bid-o-meter for mini-suite and “Poor” for the Haven. That being said, I regularly watch the price and availability of the categories we submitted offers for. I’m aware of the total investment for each bid placed, including bid amount and original purchase price. No point in over paying by being complacent of market fluctuations. It can happen with price drops with particular sailings that when a bid that was placed it was initially a great value, then becomes a more expensive proposition than just calling NCL to upgrade. That situation did occur on our last NCL cruise.

So folks, book a great cabin up front. Win or lose in the upgrade bonanza and you still win!! If you make a Haven score, Congrats. Come back and gloat for us!! I think an “affordable” Haven cruise would be a slice of heaven for most.

I’ll be happy to share our results, but as Sand Shark states, why give up bidding leverage by sharing too much information. :)

Cheers!!!

I like your attitude, but I have a question. If you have a great balcony in a great location, are you certain you want to risk paying a “good” amount to upgrade to a minisuite that could be in a poor location? And if you do get the minisuite upgrade that knocks you out of the running for that bargain Haven upgrade, as only one uprade is granted per reservation. Maybe it depends on the ship and situation, but I decided not to bid on the minisuite, only on Haven. I’ll be happy enough whether my bid is accepted or not.

Starry Eyes,

You are most observant, but I have employed a strategy that is fool proof to potentially upgrade to a known location on the ship that is acceptable. :cool:

The only way the strategy “fails” is if we are unsuccessful with our bids to upgrade. In that event, we are “stuck” with a great cabin, and we will proceed with our original plan to fully enjoy the beverage package. Of course, we’ll be doing the beverage package either way!! :D

I will update whether we upgraded or not when the time is appropriate. This cruise is an anniversary gift from us to us, and we will be having an awesome cruise.

Starry Eyes,

You are most observant, but I have employed a strategy that is fool proof to potentially upgrade to a known location on the ship that is acceptable.

Does that mean all the minisuite location should on your ship are acceptable to you? If so, that is really great. Not so for me, there are some minisuites above a noisy and smoky public area; I would not give a dime for such an “upgrade” from my current balcony. Of course there are many other minisuites I’d be happy to occupy, but I will stick to my Haven only bids.

I want to give a word of caution on "upgrades" because its happened to us. And this takes many forms on many different cruise lines. This trick (I hesitate to call it a scam) used to be a check box when you signed up for a cruise that said something like the "[ ] I will accept an automatic upgrade." Who wouldn't right? Well this meant they could move you from a great location in say a balcony room, to say the floor above in a balcony room (an upgrade) but in a terrible location. Happened to us at least twice. And you CAN'T reverse it because your old room was instantly filled.

Certainly NCL's bidding process is a form of this. Their goal, obviously, is to rake in more money. Realize its like a game of poker where you only know YOUR Hand, but imagine if the casino knows EVERYONE'S Hand. NCL is like the casino in this case. They know how much each room costs them, and they know total demand that they have, and they know what rooms they have, and more importantly, which rooms they have which are hard to sell. I'm not saying it always works out badly, but just saying to enter into this with some caution. NCL is NOT upgrading you out of the kindness of their heart. They are doing it to maximize revenue, and also, fill rooms in locations that might be hard to fill otherwise.

Certainly NCL's bidding process is a form of this. Their goal, obviously, is to rake in more money. Realize its like a game of poker where you only know YOUR Hand, but imagine if the casino knows EVERYONE'S Hand. NCL is like the casino in this case. They know how much each room costs them, and they know total demand that they have, and they know what rooms they have, and more importantly, which rooms they have which are hard to sell. I'm not saying it always works out badly, but just saying to enter into this with some caution. NCL is NOT upgrading you out of the kindness of their heart. They are doing it to maximize revenue, and also, fill rooms in locations that might be hard to fill otherwise.

Which is why we book cabins we like to start with. And we only bid into Haven.