Starbucks on the BLISS

mrgoalie

Anyone that would like to share the good, bad , or indifferent about the Starbucks on board the BLISS, I would love to hear about it.

Info on any coffee availability and or beverage services in general throughout the ship would appreciated. No comment to too off the wall. :D

It's a Starbucks. Nothing special. Menu on this link. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56223867&postcount=116

I am sure this may already be out there, but I can't find the answer.....Do they or do they not take Starbucks branded/ real plastic (not "e") "gift cards" as payment. I have about $50 worth but if they don't accept them I will leave them at home.:confused:

I am sure this may already be out there, but I can't find the answer.....Do they or do they not take Starbucks branded/ real plastic (not "e") "gift cards" as payment. I have about $50 worth but if they don't accept them I will leave them at home.:confused:

Yeah, definitely place your gift card balances into the Starbucks app so that you can earn your free drink rewards while you are spending them down. The app worked seamlessly when we paid for our comparable shore priced beverages. The only issue we had was pulling up the order history to pay the tip, but so be it.

It was a regular Starbucks. And they automatically add a 20% tip. I didn’t use my Starbucks card/app because I figured I needed to have internet access to pull it up? So I missed a star. Oh well. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought that all regular corporate Starbucks offered free wi-fi, only the licensed Starbucks like you find in some grocery stores do not. While internet access was not part of the shipboard Starbucks it did offer fast and dependable wi-fi access to the app. (Of course, Starbucks wi-fi access is already established on all of our phones---even in airplane mode). We did not detect the 20% tip added on but that may be because we are used to a 10 to 11% sales tax added on in Washington State. No taxes on the ship. In fact, for the same beverage and size purchased near Seattle today, we paid less on the ship per the order history I am looking at right now. Yes, oh well, but lesson learned for everyone else.

I thought that all regular corporate Starbucks offered free wi-fi, only the licensed Starbucks like you find in some grocery stores do not. While internet access was not part of the shipboard Starbucks it did offer fast and dependable wi-fi access to the app. (Of course, Starbucks wi-fi access is already established on all of our phones---even in airplane mode). We did not detect the 20% tip added on but that may be because we are used to a 10 to 11% sales tax added on in Washington State. No taxes on the ship. In fact, for the same beverage and size purchased near Seattle today, we paid less on the ship per the order history I am looking at right now. Yes, oh well, but lesson learned for everyone else.

Oh that may be. I just didn’t even consider that I’d be able to use the app so didn’t try.

I definitely paid more for my drink on the ship than I pay locally (Seattle). And I remember seeing the standard “we’ve already added 20%” wording on my receipt. I wonder if it matters that I paid with my key card and you paid with the app?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...

To reiterate what I posted on another recent thread:

According to what I’ve been told by Starbucks baristas, only corporate store employees get partner numbers and only corporate stores accept partner numbers for the discount.

The Starbucks on cruise ships, supermarkets, Target, hotels, and some other locations are licensed stores and the employees there are not Starbucks employees. These locations are "real" Starbucks in that they carry all/most of the full product line as well as merchandise, but they're not owned by corporate. People with partner numbers do not receive a discount at any licensed store (but sometimes the rules get bent a bit if you ask nicely). You cannot redeem stars or get free wifi on board, but you do earn stars for purchases made and can use the app even without internet access - your balance will update in the app when you have internet access again. Note the scannable barcode in the app's payment screen - it knows who you are even when you're far out to sea.

Side note: if you are doing a Starbucks "dash" to earn stars, not all purchases made at licensed stores qualify. If it's a # of visits/# of consecutive days/time of day challenge (such as make 3 purchases after 3pm), purchases at a licensed Starbucks count. If the challenge is to buy specific items (buy three iced teas after 3pm), they don't.

I'm not a barista, just someone who's been a regular customer longer than many current baristas have been alive. And who asks a lot of questions.

Edited by coastcat

I would choose “indifferent”. I was on the ship for a week and didn’t  go there except to see it.  One of the reasons I cruise is to experience the difference of being on a ship and experience what they have to offer.  Starbucks is for a regular day.  Not a ship day when I have all kinds of other options (prepaid ) 

The regular coffee on the ships is hit or miss for the most part. We love our coffee and Starbucks! Yes, you can use the app on your phone (make sure you PRE load money on it before boarding, you may not be able to onboard depending on internet!)  There is NO 20% tip added when using the app. It is always a nice quiet spot on the Bliss - at least when we were on her. At the end of our sailing, I also gave the barista's an extra tip, and they obviously don't usually get that - they were thrilled that I thought of them. Now, I wish they would add specialty coffees to the beverage package (I KNOW it's included in that high dollar one, but we would never purchase that one!)

46 minutes ago, DCP said:

The regular coffee on the ships is hit or miss for the most part. We love our coffee and Starbucks! Yes, you can use the app on your phone (make sure you PRE load money on it before boarding, you may not be able to onboard depending on internet!)  There is NO 20% tip added when using the app. It is always a nice quiet spot on the Bliss - at least when we were on her. At the end of our sailing, I also gave the barista's an extra tip, and they obviously don't usually get that - they were thrilled that I thought of them. Now, I wish they would add specialty coffees to the beverage package (I KNOW it's included in that high dollar one, but we would never purchase that one!)

I agree with the coffee as it can be a hit or miss. So with your knowledge of using the Starbuck app, would it be easier to use the Starbucks app on board or bring a gift card? I'm not a huge Starbucks fan, but I do prefer their Blonde Roast over NCL's coffee.

• 3 weeks later...