2018 Carnival LIVE Concert Series - any update?

Luke Dawg

We loved them! Did eleven and look forward to more, but NOT the comedy ones. The talk was that Carnival didn't make much on the concerts.

Curious as to where you heard they did not make much on the concerts....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Officers, HDs specifically, on some of the hosting ships, stated that the costs, for Carnival, were high and the concerts were mostly used as a draw for bookings. Many were held on Fantasy class ships.

We did get to know the coordinator and security head for the concert series, as well, since we attended several and were introduced.

The Journey concert, in St. Thomas, on Liberty, was our favorite. We were told several of the groups were interested in returning. Journey was one of these. :D

And, yes, we realize they are not original members. Still great concerts, even if short.

Officers, HDs specifically, on some of the hosting ships, stated that the costs, for Carnival, were high and the concerts were mostly used as a draw for bookings. Many were held on Fantasy class ships.

We did get to know the coordinator and security head for the concert series, as well, since we attended several and were introduced.

The Journey concert, in St. Thomas, on Liberty, was our favorite. We were told several of the groups were interested in returning. Journey was one of these. :D

And, yes, we realize they are not original members. Still great concerts, even if short.

Interesting, I would love to see Journey. I am fine with their current product. The ability to see a R&R hall of fame band in that small a venue is spectacular. Foreigner would be another. Thanks for the reply.

I would have loved to see Boston as well until I found out that the current band has only 1 original member and the lead singer killed himself many years ago.

It is rare for a 70's or 80's band to have all its members, in a previous discussion here I believe the number without change is 4. That said some have done very well with new members including lead singers, good examples of this are Journey and Foreigner.

I understand the desire to hear and see the band the way you remember them, but from my perspective it does not negate the opportunity.

It is rare for a 70's or 80's band to have all its members, in a previous discussion here I believe the number without change is 4. That said some have done very well with new members including lead singers, good examples of this are Journey and Foreigner.

I understand the desire to hear and see the band the way you remember them, but from my perspective it does not negate the opportunity.

I understand the changing of a few players due to various reasons and that doesn't really bother me. But to me, when almost the entire band (such as Boston) is no longer original players, it's just not the same. A few months ago Boston was playing in the St Augustine Amphitheater and a friend of mine and I were jumping for joy until I found out that there was only 1 original player left in the band. At that point, to both of us, it wasn't worth the price to pay and see what has effectively become a tribute band.

I understand the changing of a few players due to various reasons and that doesn't really bother me. But to me, when almost the entire band (such as Boston) is no longer original players, it's just not the same. A few months ago Boston was playing in the St Augustine Amphitheater and a friend of mine and I were jumping for joy until I found out that there was only 1 original player left in the band. At that point, to both of us, it wasn't worth the price to pay and see what has effectively become a tribute band.

understand

The concert, however, was amazing and we were happy to be able to attend. Got my old Boston shirt out!Overall, to us, the concerts have been well worth the costs. The vibe onboard is contagious for these cruises.

Heart was original members and amazing, btw. :hearteyes:

The concert, however, was amazing and we were happy to be able to attend. Got my old Boston shirt out!Overall, to us, the concerts have been well worth the costs. The vibe onboard is contagious for these cruises.

Heart was original members and amazing, btw. :hearteyes:

Glad you enjoyed it. If you close your eyes you might just be able to imagine being 18 years old again while listening to some of your favorite music. I wish Carnival would have more of these concert cruises......I would really love to check one out some day.

• 1 month later...
I see on CCL that the price for the concerts will be included in the cruise fare. I am hoping this is a sign they will publish Live sailings. (please no John Heald teasers, still waiting on Loyalty Program updates)

Unless something has changed, there has been only one announced. When I asked, I was told more to follow.

The vibe onboard is contagious for these cruises.

I would agree with this. We were on either the Liberty or the Freedom when Chris Tucker had a show, and while we didn't attend, there was definitely a vibe onboard, and it felt like "an event"!

There's EDM music festivals on other lines (can't remember which ones). One of my old drinking buddies is heavily involved in several music festivals throughout the country and he stated that he thinks that there's a lot of potential for cruise ship festivals or festivals in the Caribbean. I'm sure they could be run through the cruise line or chartered. I would be interested in attending something like this. The thought of attending a music festival seems great to me except I'm a huge germophobe and could never use port-o-potties...disgusting! I like good and new music but not that much!

I would agree with this. We were on either the Liberty or the Freedom when Chris Tucker had a show, and while we didn't attend, there was definitely a vibe onboard, and it felt like "an event"!

We were on the Breeze for Chris Tucker and based on that I'd never go to another comedy show. We had great seats, front row balcony, facing him, no reason for audio issues yet we could only hear/understand about half of what he said. We complained to Guest Services and our cost was refunded- apparently there were over a hundred on our sailing who all complained about the same thing.

I don't know if the audio issues were specific to the Breeze (I had no issue hearing & understanding Mike Pack any time he was speaking on the same sound system in the theater) but it was awful. Hopefully it was a one-time issue.

Having said that, I'd love to hear Foreigner or Styx onboard! I went to a House of Blues event in Orlando once where Styx was playing... it wasn't until that night that I realized that the replacement keyboardist Lawrence Gowan (he replaced Dennis DeYoung) was actually a guy I knew from high school! It would be cool to hear them again...

In the last few years we have seen both Lou Gramm and his backing band sing all his old Foreigner hits and Foreigner with the new singer and couple original members doing virtually the same show and I honestly couldn't tell which I enjoyed more. They both sounded great although it looked like Lou was about to have a heart attack right on stage (he ain't missing any meals lately). And the show I saw Foreigner, they opened up for Journey with the Filipino kid and that guy is incredible. Journey and Foreigner are excellent examples of bands that survived losing important members.

We saw Styx at Sea World a year or so ago and they were terrific - Tommy Shaw is still great and he sang most of my favorite Styx tunes anyway. Their Dennis DeYoung replacement is a great showman and we enjoyed the the whole production.

What I REALLY want to do though is get on one of the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruises. They're on RC and timing has't yet worked out for me but it will. They have around 60 bands on a 5 day cruise and each band plays twice. The shows are in several venues on board so there's always a show going on and plenty of opportunity to rock out.