Sharps disposal

LittleBitBojangles

I have requested for every cruise through special needs department, prior to sailing, has never been in cabin upon arrival. Ask cabin steward, back in just a couple of minutes each time.

I took my sharps container back to the medical centre at the end of one cruise and were asked next time to leave it to the steward. Because we travel pre and post cruise we normally bring a small screw top container with us to use as a sharps container. My insulin syringes are pre filled one off type and I just put them when empty in my suitcase for disposal at home needles removed of course

I took my sharps container back to the medical centre at the end of one cruise and were asked next time to leave it to the steward. Because we travel pre and post cruise we normally bring a small screw top container with us to use as a sharps container. My insulin syringes are pre filled one off type and I just put them when empty in my suitcase for disposal at home needles removed of course

This is my first time traveling since diagnosed so I was in the dark. Thank you for your suggestions and experience. 🙃

This is my first time traveling since diagnosed so I was in the dark. Thank you for your suggestions and experience. 🙃

It is always a good idea to carry a letter with you from your doctors office stating you are a diabetic and are traveling with insulin and syringes. This helps if you get stopped in security or customs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

For my allergy shots, which use a diabetic sized needle, I bought a small gadget--about the size of a mini flashlight--that clips the needle part off and stores it inside. You can use it hundreds of times since all it is storing is the needle tip.

But yes, you can get sharps containers. I find the above more convenient as I can use it in hotels, etc. without asking for special items.

For my allergy shots, which use a diabetic sized needle, I bought a small gadget--about the size of a mini flashlight--that clips the needle part off and stores it inside. You can use it hundreds of times since all it is storing is the needle tip.

But yes, you can get sharps containers. I find the above more convenient as I can use it in hotels, etc. without asking for special items.

2nd this. I use it to. Saves a lot of hassle. As I recall only a few dollars. Believe I got mine from amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is always a good idea to carry a letter with you from your doctors office stating you are a diabetic and are traveling with insulin and syringes. This helps if you get stopped in security or customs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your advice.

I am also prescribed strong narcotics for another very painful condition that I’ve had for decades. About 10 years ago I went for a very long visit (2 months) with an dear friend who lives in Prague. I contacted the US State Department because I didn’t want to get accused of smuggling narcotics. I was given the same advice- a letter from my doctor & and copy of the written prescription. Turned out that I walked off the plane and straight into the Czech Republic. There was no Customs or anything. I was bummed because I got no Passport stamp. Lol. The same exact thing happened the next year when flying into Prague. This was 2008 & 2009. I sure hope their homeland security has improved.

I have requested for every cruise through special needs department, prior to sailing, has never been in cabin upon arrival. Ask cabin steward, back in just a couple of minutes each time.

Snap, but I always feel I should inform despite the Sharps bin never being available when we first board. The cabin steward has always been very helpful and a bin has been made available in minutes.

Thank you for your advice.

I am also prescribed strong narcotics for another very painful condition that I’ve had for decades. About 10 years ago I went for a very long visit (2 months) with an dear friend who lives in Prague. I contacted the US State Department because I didn’t want to get accused of smuggling narcotics. I was given the same advice- a letter from my doctor & and copy of the written prescription. Turned out that I walked off the plane and straight into the Czech Republic. There was no Customs or anything. I was bummed because I got no Passport stamp. Lol. The same exact thing happened the next year when flying into Prague. This was 2008 & 2009. I sure hope their homeland security has improved.

My experience has been that traveling with in Europe and some islands in the Caribbean is that line up to the custom station is no more effective than just strolling in. If you need to be detained for inspection they’ll go and pull you over

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2018 at 3:00 PM, LittleBitBojangles said:

Hello.

I’m insulin dependent and was wondering if Celebrity would provide a sharps container if requested? I can’t imagine packing one but if I had to- can I bring it to the Medical facility on the last morning? Or, is there a preferred method of needle disposal while on ship?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, PWW said:

Getting a sharps container is not a problem. You can request one before joining the ship and if it doesn't arrive which more than likely ask your cabin attendant and he will get one for you. I am also insulin dependant and getting a sharps container has never been an issue. When you end your cruise just seal it up and the attendant will arrange for its disposal