First time Cruiser on Divina

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:20 PM.
#22
Northern Ireland
140 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Julie, additional info for DH, outside of the UK all Premier League games are available live on TV. If you were ashore there should be plenty of bars showing games or if he's looking for a specific team/match they are easily available on the internet (not that I advocate that sort of thing obviously ) if you were somewhere with free wifi or prepared to use your onboard data.
The BT Sport app works overseas, if you subscribe to BT Sports. The Sky Sports app doesn't or didn't.
#23
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by CruisingFox27
Julie, additional info for DH, outside of the UK all Premier League games are available live on TV. If you were ashore there should be plenty of bars showing games or if he's looking for a specific team/match they are easily available on the internet (not that I advocate that sort of thing obviously ) if you were somewhere with free wifi or prepared to use your onboard data.
The BT Sport app works overseas, if you subscribe to BT Sports. The Sky Sports app doesn't or didn't.
Thank you! ...he has now got BT sports on his phone and have the internet package so he should pick up (West Ham) or any football really ...YAWN!!
#24
Naarden, The Netherlands
108 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by CruiseIreland
Hi. I can address some of your questions:
..how is the plug situation do they have UK sockets in the Cabins? if we bring adaptors would they be European or US? and is there plenty of sockets (hair tools/phone chargers etc etc !) There are European and US sockets. Usually 2 of each by the dressing table mirror. Bring a power strip/extension lead but not one with a surge protector built in.

When we embark does it take long to get the bags to the room? do people usually pack swimwear in their hand luggage if you get on board early? It can be very quick or a few hours, yes people do pack swimwear in their carry ons.

Do they have classes in the Gym? such as Spin/ Kettle bells, YES, some classes in gym, extra charge. can you jog around the ship?? - to burn off all the cocktails ! No, the prom deck does not stretch all around the ship.
from Husband - Any Premiership football in the sports bar I doubt it in the Caribbean.

Enjoy, Divina is a lovely ship.
Hi there, there is a jogging trail on the Divina, it's on deck 15, my husband used it. There is also a great gym with good equipment, very busy at times, but we managed to be able to run after a max 10 minutes wait. Better to run inside, as it's very very hot.
#25
Naarden, The Netherlands
108 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by JulieOz
I take my running kit on every holiday and my husband says it just takes up space in the case as it rarely gets used!! BUT I am determined this time as I pile on weight on a normal holiday so a Cruise will be lethal! ... but we will see ..!
Just seen they do a water bike spin type class that looks interesting
There is also daily yoga at 10 am which I kept missing ah, I only now read that you don't like the treadmill. Me neither, usually, but I found it really TOO hot to run outside. Not sure what it will be like in a month, probably better, but August is super hot. We're still in Florida, and the heat is still phenomenal I'm from Holland, so usually enjoying ANY good weather (like you, I suspect ), but we're spending quite some time in the AC.
#26
Naarden, The Netherlands
108 Posts
Joined May 2017
And in general: HAVE FUN!! ours was the third time on a cruise, also very inexperienced compared to some cruisers here, I also practically lived on these boards prior to leaving. I got so many useful tips and advice!

I just read about prepurchasing a photo package, you may want to look into that. We didn't, and it looks really interesting.

Definitely enlist for the roll call, and do go to the meet and mingle, you get to chat to the nice captain Marco Massi, and more cake!! And champagne at 10.30 am. Not a bad way to start a sea day! (Forget about using that gym outfit after that )

I posted a lengthy review about the Divina, we literally got back 2 days ago, and it was a fabulous experience. The best part is leaving a port. Make sure you have a cocktail in your hand and enjoy sliding away and seeing the landscape change. Magical moments!!

Enjoy!
#27
Northern Ireland
140 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by JulieOz
Thank you! ...he has now got BT sports on his phone and have the internet package so he should pick up (West Ham) or any football really ...YAWN!!
Sorry Julie, I should've just said no
DH and I are both avid football fans (or soccer to our US friends) so it's something I plan in. At least you have a lovely ship to explore and enjoy whilst he gets his fix. I've just made DH tour Europe to watch Leicester City when he supports someone else
#28
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by CruisingFox27
Sorry Julie, I should've just said no
DH and I are both avid football fans (or soccer to our US friends) so it's something I plan in. At least you have a lovely ship to explore and enjoy whilst he gets his fix. I've just made DH tour Europe to watch Leicester City when he supports someone else
Thank You! He will miss the hammers but I am sure will survive!.
#29
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Thanks so much everyone . Really helpful I am counting down the days now.
To too it all we won business class flights with American airlines to / from Miami!!! Makes the long flight more enjoyable ��
#30
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Sorry one more question...little confused on dining we have Aurea experience do we just turn up when we want to eat in MDR ? Or still have to book each day but at any time we like? ..thanks!
#31
264 Posts
Joined May 2017
My friends sailed Aurea last week and you can just show up in the MDR between certain times for dinner - I think 6-8:30? But I'm not positive on the exact start times.

Regarding your luggage...I was in YC and did not have my bag delivered until after 7pm. Our other bags were delivered very early, but somehow my bag ended up on deck 5 instead of 15 they told me. So definitely make sure you have some essentials just in case.

My husband wanted to sign up for the spin classes but they were only offered at 2pm everyday. That didn't work for us on port days and we had massages scheduled at that time on sea days, so we both ended up doing more eating than exercising! Lol. The good news is that neither one of us gained any weight although I felt like I did during the week. We ate and ate and ate! But never tried the sports bar this time around. The pizza in the buffet and especially at Eataly (for a $5-$7 charge for a whole personal pie) are not to be missed!
Happy cruising and enjoy every minute!

Originally posted by JulieOz
Sorry one more question...little confused on dining we have Aurea experience do we just turn up when we want to eat in MDR ? Or still have to book each day but at any time we like? ..thanks!
#32
Montreal, Canada
41 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by JulieOz
Sorry one more question...little confused on dining we have Aurea experience do we just turn up when we want to eat in MDR ? Or still have to book each day but at any time we like? ..thanks!


You simply show up and the desired time, as your Aurea experience includes "Anytime dining". There is a section of a dozen or so tables set aside for Aurea guests. We never had to wait, and in fact usually had the same table. No need to reserve our announce yourself in any way.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up August 2018 - MSC Preziosa (N. Europe)
September 2017 - MSC Divina (Caribbean)
October 2016 - MSC Splendida (West Med.)
September 2015 - MSC Sinfonia (East Med.)
#33
Switzerland
13 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Originally posted by Zephyr173
You simply show up and the desired time, as your Aurea experience includes "Anytime dining". There is a section of a dozen or so tables set aside for Aurea guests. We never had to wait, and in fact usually had the same table. No need to reserve our announce yourself in any way.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Not wrong - but anyhow, reservation is recommended (give a call approx. 1 hour in advance)

Regards
Patrick
#34
Kentucky
509 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Zephyr173
You simply show up and the desired time, as your Aurea experience includes "Anytime dining". There is a section of a dozen or so tables set aside for Aurea guests. We never had to wait, and in fact usually had the same table. No need to reserve our announce yourself in any way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Zephyr do you recall if any of these Aurea tables were by windows?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Debbie



December 2016 - Royal Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
November 2016 - Princess - Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean)
October 2015 - Norwegian - Pride of America (Hawaii)
January 2014 - Royal Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
#35
Montreal, Canada
41 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
From my recollection, there were no tables next to windows. On MSC Splendida, the section reserved to Aurea guests was to one's left and a bit behind, from the entrance of the MDR. When you walk in, you walk may 10 feet to the Maître d's desk and turn to your left around a planter and the section is right there. It is in fact on the front wall of the MDR, nudged between the door MDR entrance and the ship' port side. There a no windows for those tables because the 2 corners of the section were made into elaborate alcoves that can accommodate maybe 6 guests or be a cozy and romantic nook.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up August 2018 - MSC Preziosa (N. Europe)
September 2017 - MSC Divina (Caribbean)
October 2016 - MSC Splendida (West Med.)
September 2015 - MSC Sinfonia (East Med.)
#36
Kentucky
509 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Zephyr173
From my recollection, there were no tables next to windows. On MSC Splendida, the section reserved to Aurea guests was to one's left and a bit behind, from the entrance of the MDR. When you walk in, you walk may 10 feet to the Maître d's desk and turn to your left around a planter and the section is right there. It is in fact on the front wall of the MDR, nudged between the door MDR entrance and the ship' port side. There a no windows for those tables because the 2 corners of the section were made into elaborate alcoves that can accommodate maybe 6 guests or be a cozy and romantic nook.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Appreciate the info. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Debbie



December 2016 - Royal Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
November 2016 - Princess - Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean)
October 2015 - Norwegian - Pride of America (Hawaii)
January 2014 - Royal Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
#37
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
3 weeks to go! ... flights are confirmed, and e tickets downloaded
We have 11am embarkation on the tickets what time should we arrive at the port please?

Thanks again for everybody's help!
#38
Montreal, Canada
41 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by JulieOz
3 weeks to go! ... flights are confirmed, and e tickets downloaded
We have 11am embarkation on the tickets what time should we arrive at the port please?

Thanks again for everybody's help!
Looks like we are on the same sailing. We can't wait either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up August 2018 - MSC Preziosa (N. Europe)
September 2017 - MSC Divina (Caribbean)
October 2016 - MSC Splendida (West Med.)
September 2015 - MSC Sinfonia (East Med.)
#39
40 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
We are on the 16th Sep from Miami is anyone else worried about Irma or should it be past by then?
We fly in on the 13th for 3 nights in Miami before the cruise.
I am going to sack my travel agent (me!) for not researching properly!
#40
264 Posts
Joined May 2017
This is so hard. You made a good choice in booking after all the kids are back in school! But now this. Irma is supposed to be just south-east of Florida this Saturday morning which could certainly impact Divina's return to Miami and the 9/9 cruisers. I think we'll know by Thursday what will happen to this weekend's cruisers. I really think it's going to be a wait and see for the following week - where the storm hits, how hard, and how travel is affected both in South Florida and in the islands. Thoughts are with everyone affected - stay safe!

Originally posted by JulieOz
We are on the 16th Sep from Miami is anyone else worried about Irma or should it be past by then?
We fly in on the 13th for 3 nights in Miami before the cruise.
I am going to sack my travel agent (me!) for not researching properly!