QM2 Oceanview or Obsructed Balcony

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:17 PM.
Cornwall UK
93 Posts
Joined May 2015
About to book
Our first cruise on QM2 in Europe and would like any comments on whether we should book an Oceanview cabin on Deck 4 or an obstructed Balcony on Deck 5.
The Oceanview cabins seem a little larger looking at the Deck plans?
Thank you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lisa & Paul

03/09/2017 Celebrity Eclipse Western Med
Vale of Glamorgan
4,378 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The obstructed balconies on QM2 are on Deck 8, the Deck 5 balconies are sheltered.
See this thread for a discussion about sheltered balconies
https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sh....php?t=2621397

Which one are you considering ? What is your itinerary ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Cornwall UK
93 Posts
Joined May 2015
We are considering Deck 8 obstructed balconies or Oceanview Deck 4.
It’s a 9 night cruise in Northern Europe in June.
Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lisa & Paul

03/09/2017 Celebrity Eclipse Western Med
Vale of Glamorgan
4,378 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I haven't been in either category so I can't really help but the Cunard website shows the obstructions if that helps.
https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/qm2_obs
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Vale of Glamorgan
4,378 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by LB_NJ
Unfortunately they removed access to this part of the site for those in the US.
Fortunately the OP is in the UK so hopefully they will be of some use.

If you need to see them, there are links in this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2628577
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

East Lancashire
2,751 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
The ocean view cabins right at the front (bow) only have a porthole, which is above the bed if you have a double, if you have it as a twin it is quite high to see out of. There are a few further back with larger windows. I have been in both sorts and would happy book one again. If I could afford an obstructed view balcony, I would go for one of those. The deck plan gives you a pretty good idea of where the lifeboats really are, so try for a cabin that looks like it's in a gap and you would be ok.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 (twice) 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and 2008 (twice). Caronia 2002 and 2003, QM2 2009, 2010 (twice), 2011, 2014 and 2015, QV 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016, QE 2012 (twice), 2013, 2015 and 2017. Braemar 2015 (once was enough) Oriana 2017, Good but I still prefer Cunard.
Pennsylvania
6,301 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Oceanview cabins (particularly the deck 4-5-6 cabins closest to the balcony cabins on the same deck) have slightly larger interior volume than the nearby balcony cabins, because the area occupied by the sheltered balcony is instead part of the interior volume of the room. But note that square footage numbers in Cunard literature for balcony cabins includes the balcony area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
South Carolina
502 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by LB_NJ
Unfortunately they removed access to this part of the site for those in the US.

I was able to access the Cunard FAQ and I’m in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Iowa
1,669 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by ElaineKeagy
Interesting. Just to make sure we are talking about the same issue, are you saying when you follow this link from within the US to the page for "What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Mary 2?" on the UK FAQ site

that you actually see this page?

Cunard UK FAQ.jpg

When I try to follow that link from the US (or any other link to a page on the UK FAQ site "ask.cunard.com"), it takes me to this home page for Cunard's US FAQ site ("www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/faq/") instead.

Cunard US FAQ.jpg

And unfortunately there is nothing I can find showing the views from the obstructed view balconies on Cunard's US FAQ site.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

Pennsylvania
6,301 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
The UK FAQ actually answers frequent questions.

Can you see the obstructed view photos here (without a proxy)?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Brooksville FL
3,970 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
OP is from the UK so I don't know if this applies , but many Cunard Sales in the US , including current , include better OBC for Balcony & above .
South Carolina
502 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by bluemarble
Interesting. Just to make sure we are talking about the same issue, are you saying when you follow this link from within the US to the page for "What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Mary 2?" on the UK FAQ site

that you actually see this page?

Attachment 421315

When I try to follow that link from the US (or any other link to a page on the UK FAQ site "ask.cunard.com"), it takes me to this home page for Cunard's US FAQ site ("www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/faq/") instead.

Attachment 421316

And unfortunately there is nothing I can find showing the views from the obstructed view balconies on Cunard's US FAQ site.

Ahhh! I see what you are saying now. It’s apples and oranges. I have a generic FAQ page, not specific to obstructed balconies.

From the earlier posts, I was expecting to get a 404 error or a website not found error message.

Sorry. My misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Iowa
1,669 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Ahhh! I see what you are saying now. It’s apples and oranges. I have a generic FAQ page, not specific to obstructed balconies.

From the earlier posts, I was expecting to get a 404 error or a website not found error message.

Sorry. My misunderstanding.
Thanks for the follow-up. I was hoping that perhaps Cunard had corrected the issue and I had somehow missed the work-around (other than using a VPN to pretend I am in the UK). When I asked about this in the recent Q&A with Angus Struthers, this was the reply (partial quote).

"In terms of the FAQ section, i will check with our digital teams and find out how to access the information from the US as it should be accessible."

Hope springs eternal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)