Luggage Locked or Not

Manateemike

I believe it is scanned/x rayed just like at an airport, so if you have anything that looks suspicious, ( like containers with liquid that could possibky be smuggled alcohol) they would probably cut the lock off to check it out...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

We all assume by checked luggage, you are talking about on the ship (not an airline).

We are in hotels at least a dozen times a year. Many flights, and as below, many cruises. Never, ever locked a bag.

And, since they are softsided, a simple pocket knife would get into them anyways. To each their own.

Correct-they will not open it, but call you to a specific room, and have you open it.

We always use plastic ties to lock our luggage, and we lock every bag every trip. Just remember to bring scissor in your carry on, to cut them open to unpack.

We live and sail in ny, so we do not use airlines.

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We all assume by checked luggage, you are talking about on the ship (not an airline).

We are in hotels at least a dozen times a year. Many flights, and as below, many cruises. Never, ever locked a bag.

And, since they are softsided, a simple pocket knife would get into them anyways. To each their own.

We have never locked softsided luggage for a cruise and never any problems. I do know of one young man who had unlocked luggage (I won't name him, but he did get the "talk") and the sniffer dogs alerted. Nothing was found, but they sure did check every item in that bag. Items were just tossed back in wherever they would fit.

Not common, but I can report on our last cruise on NCL last November out of Tampa, one of our friends had his luggage checked without him being there. They took what they did not like and left him a note in his bag. The clothes were tossed back in haphazardly. He was not happy.

This is the first time that I have heard of them opening luggage without the passenger being present.

Not common, but I can report on our last cruise on NCL last November out of Tampa, one of our friends had his luggage checked without him being there. They took what they did not like and left him a note in his bag. The clothes were tossed back in haphazardly. He was not happy.

This is the first time that I have heard of them opening luggage without the passenger being present.

Happened to one of my bags at Port Canaveral...

Just had a note inside...

Bill

Was this a note from the cruise line, or from the TSA?

TSA can and will check bags at the airport, and will leave a love note. We have gotten a few.

Real tough nut situation.

You have zip tied your luggage expecting to use that scissors or small pocket

knife to cut it off when on board the ship having coming directly off the airline

TSA security check-point where they have confiscated your Weapon Of Mass

Destruction the very scissors or small pocket knife that was to open the baggage.

So what-a are you gonna do - hope you cabin mate was not in the same

situation or your cabin steward can fix with something available or maybe

the ships chief engineer has a tool or too.

In these situations best to use the TSA approved combination lock that they

can open with a master key. Your sharp Weapons of Mass Destruction can

be place in your locked baggage but not taken as airline carry on items.

Nice to have a day to recompose your travel situation getting off the airplane

spend the night in a hotel reconfiguring your baggage for lessen security

boarding the ship. At least the cruise ships don't confiscate your nail clippers;

pen knife and pointed emery board. Imagine hi-jacking a ship with a pen

knife "What kind of a modern day pirate are you ?"

A combination lock works just as well here too.

As noted if the luggage is locked and they have a problem with the scanner

picking up your pirate tools you will have a guest appearance requested in

the naughty room. Oh my you criminal you !

Real tough nut situation.

You have zip tied your luggage expecting to use that scissors or small pocket

knife to cut it off when on board the ship having coming directly off the airline

TSA security check-point where they have confiscated your Weapon Of Mass

Destruction the very scissors or small pocket knife that was to open the baggage.

!

Funny story to go with this, well funny because I could have choked DH at the airport check point but later laughed about it.

Of course like most men DH always carries a pocket knife.

Before we fly I make sure to basically strip DH of all of his belongings, pocket knife in the checked bag and have a zip bag with me in the carryon to put his wallet, keys, watch etc so when we get to our destination airport, I can easily return his belongings. Well to make a long story short, I was very busy just before we left and sent him to strip himself. We got to security and our carryon was taking a while in the xray. When it finally came out, they opened it and were searching for something. Next thing I know, security is pulling something out of my carryon and to my surprise it was my husbands pocket knife :rolleyes:. Well of course they confiscated it, but the girl at security had a big smile on her face when she seen the look cast my DH's way. I can imagine she was thinking "oh boy is going to get xxx when they leave this checkpoint". :D

Back on topic, I always put zip (cable) straps on my checked luggage for both airport and cruise. Not because I'm concerned about anyone stealing my socks or unmentionables, but to save the zippers from getting caught on something and the suitcase opening. I carry a "snipit bag opener", it doesn't take up any room, safe to go through any security scanning and works great for cutting zip (cable) straps.

Edited by che5904

I always have my suitcases (hard) and bags locked until it arrives in my cabin - with a TSA lock so that if for some reason the port authorities or ship security need to open them they can without breaking the lock . Never had an issue, and believe it is better to be safe than sorry.... ;)