No HAL to Bermuda in 2019?

marco

Not the best of possible scenarios, but cruise ships are able to anchor in the Great Sound and use tenders (Bermuda supplied) to get guests to Hamilton if the ship is not able to dock.

I think it is a matter of if HAL would wish to refresh their East Coast itinerary offerings.

Why the "groan"? Refreshing the East Coast itineraries could well benefit those of you who live in New England,

I don't understand the "groan" either. As I said before, different strokes for different folks. East Coast itineraries are new to many of us. Just because others have "been there and done that" doesn't mean it wouldn't be wildly popular with younger travelers.

If one day in a location isn't worth going on a cruise for, then there would be no cruises to Cuba, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman, Barbados, Martinique, Dominica, St. Lucia …… well, you get the idea. Not everyone wants three or four days in one locale -- lots of people like checking out many places during a cruise.

On our upcoming French Polynesian cruise, we have just one day in many places but that is fine with me! I don't need to explore every nook and cranny -- I'm just happy to see different sights!

Groan.................. :(

Groan, you disagree multiple stops would not appeal to you?

Groan, we should not have a mature discussion about what other individuals on this board would like to experience?

Groan, I am weary with this discussion?

Or is it something else....??

Not the best of possible scenarios, but cruise ships are able to anchor in the Great Sound and use tenders (Bermuda supplied) to get guests to Hamilton if the ship is not able to dock.

I think it is a matter of if HAL would wish to refresh their East Coast itinerary offerings.

Too funny. HAL could have kept doing Bermuda with Veendam docking in Hamilton. Instead they sent her to Europe. They sure aren’t going to tender guests to Hamilton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I seriously doubt that the every dock is booked every day of the year, as implied in a post or two. When I read “the only way...” blah blah, I tend to think the person is “explaining” a situation which is beyond their ken.

It’s beyond your ken. The docks are not booked every day of the year. They are open in winter when few cruise ships sail to Bermuda. The Atlantic tends to be rough and the air temp at sea is chilly. Winter in Bermuda is cool and the water temperature is cold. A decent time for a pleasant land trip to play golf. During the cruise season from late April to late October they are booked practically every day. Pretty unlikely HAL would sail to Bermuda in the winter.

If HAL was interested in Bermuda they could have sailed there almost every week in the cruise season with Veendam to Hamilton. Instead they did about four sailings a year and then sent Veendam off to Europe. HAL is not interested in doing Bermuda.

Edited by Charles4515

Why the "groan"? Refreshing the East Coast itineraries could well benefit those of you who live in New England,

The groan Is ab out the anchoring, Either Dock in Hamilton or Dockyard or don't go . IMO I would far rather not go, back to Bermuda. Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done or would be well received ., iMO. I g roaned because I do not think it a a populat alternative that should be investigated ;)

Edited by sail7seas

It’s beyond your ken. The docks are not booked every day of the year. They are open in winter when few cruise ships sail to Bermuda. The Atlantic tends to be rough and the air temp at sea is chilly. Winter in Bermuda is cool and the water temperature is cold. A decent time for a pleasant land trip to play golf. During the cruise season from late April to late October they are booked practically every day. Pretty unlikely HAL would sail to Bermuda in the winter.

One can play golf and or tennis but not swim outdoors, during Bermuda winters. GThere i jut about market for a cruise to Bermuda any earlier than mid to late May.

[quote[

If HAL was interested in Bermuda they could have sailed there almost every week in the cruise season with Veendam to Hamilton. Instead they did about four sailings a year and then sent Veendam off to Europe. HAL is not interested in doing Bermuda.

One can play golf and or tennis but not swim outdoors, during Bermuda winters. Thee is little to NO market for a cruise to Bermuda any earlier than mid to late May.

Charles 4515 : If HAL was interested in Bermuda they could have sailed there almost every week in the cruise season with Veendam to Hamilton. Instead they did about four sailings a year and then sent Veendam off to Europe. HAL is not interested in doing Bermuda.

The groan Is ab out the anchoring, Either Dock in Hamilton or Dockyard or don't go . IMO I would far rather not go, back to Bermuda. Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done or would be well received ., iMO. I g roaned because I do not think it a a populat alternative that should be investigated ;)

Tendering was not well received when HAL scheduled tendering to St. George’s from Veendam during her first Bermuda season. Passengers hated it and hoped each sailing the tendering would be canceled. The Captain looked for any excuse to not tender. And the tendering was canceled often. I lucked out it, tendering was canceled on our sailing and we stayed docked at Hamilton the whole three and a half days. Tendering was dropped completely after that first year.

So foolish to propose they anchor in Great Sound and tender. What they should propose is that HAL bring the Veendam back. That would be a realistic proposal. HAL can do Bermuda with Veendam now. With their newer ships they would have to displace the current cruise lines doing Bermuda sailings. That is not out of the realm of possibility, they could outbid them when the contracts expire. However there is no reason to believe HAL is interested.

Edited by Charles4515

Tendering was not well received when HAL scheduled tendering to St. George’s from Veendam during her first Bermuda season. Passengers hated it and hoped each sailing the tendering would be canceled. The Captain looked for any excuse to not tender. And the tendering was canceled often. I lucked out it, tendering was canceled on our sailing and we stayed docked at Hamilton the whole three and a half days. Tendering was dropped completely after that first year.

So foolish to propose they anchor in Great Sound and tender. What they should propose is that HAL bring the Veendam back. That would be a realistic proposal. HAL can do Bermuda with Veendam now. With their newer ships they would have to displace the current cruise lines doing Bermuda sailings. That is not out of the realm of possibility, they could outbid them when the contracts expire. However there is no reason to believe HAL is interested.

Yes to all of ^^ that.

The mention of tendering elicited an immediate groan from me . NO t interested !!

Thank you for your response, Sail. As to anchoring, I would share your groan as long as Bermuda demands ships that do anchor in the Great Sound use their tender and not the ship's tenders. In my opinion, and I have experienced this more than once, that issue is what causes guests to not like the tendering option. Particularly, when the ship is unable to dock in downtown Hamilton. The tenders do. What a convenience as to having to dock at the Dockyard and taxi/bus/etc. in order to get to Hamilton.

Thank you for your response, Sail. As to anchoring, I would share your groan as long as Bermuda demands ships that do anchor in the Great Sound use their tender and not the ship's tenders. In my opinion, and I have experienced this more than once, that issue is what causes guests to not like the tendering option. Particularly, when the ship is unable to dock in downtown Hamilton. The tenders do. What a convenience as to having to dock at the Dockyard and taxi/bus/etc. in order to get to Hamilton.

You left out taking the ferry from the Dockyard which is what most do who want to go to Hamilton. The ferry is convenient and fast. Ships tenders would be slow. Bermuda tenders would actually be preferable than using lifeboats as tenders if they tendered as they would be faster but you leave out a major reason Bermuda requires their local tenders. The channel to Hamilton is filled with reefs and is dangerous to navigate. Ships tenders would have to have Bermudian pilots onboard for safety reasons.

Passengers don't like tendering because it is inconvenient. Even more so with the large passenger counts on ships that are too large to dock in Hamiltion. If the ship can't dock in Hamiltion docking at the Dockyard is more conveneint than tendering as there are fast ferries to Hamiltion and St. George's and shuttles to Horseshoe Bay.

Charles,

Based on my experience in Hamilton, the Bermuda tenders, sailing from the anchored ship or from the dock at Hamilton, will not sail until they are close to capacity. This results in prolonged waits for guests at each end of the transfer. On the Hamilton shoreside end, there was no shade, no place for guests to sit while waiting for the tender: this was a big problem for some people.

Ship tenders may be slower in going from ship to shore and not carry as many guests, but their frequency would mitigate that disadvantage,

I am well aware of the fast ferries from the Dockyard, But, I'd prefer getting off the anchored ship into a ship's tender and being taken directly to downtown Hamilton. At the Dockyard, I would have to disembark my ship, walk some distance to the fast ferry, wait (if one is not immediately available), then get to Hamilton. Only to have to repeat this sequence in reverse upon returning "home".

Which is more convenient for the guest may be in the opinion of the individual guest, I guess.

Glad you noticed my ken-level. I don’t try to hide it. :D

Show me the stats, when the docks are full and not full, in the season which is presumed good for cruising to Bermuda.

Number of days full and not full from late April to late October would be informative.

Glad you noticed my ken-level. I don’t try to hide it. [emoji3]

Show me the stats, when the docks are full and not full, in the season which is presumed good for cruising to Bermuda.

Number of days full and not full from late April to late October would be informative.

Up to you to show that HAL can put together an itinerary. I have the government port schedule. You can get it too. Generally during cruise season from regular sailings, ships that call every week the two berths at the Dockyard are occupied Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday there is one berth not occupied with a regular sailing. Every other Sunday one berth is not occupied by a regular sailing. But that does not mean the berths are not occupied. Carnival and other cruise lines without regular weekly sailings often use those berths. There is some break off in October as that not prime cruise season. As I said in one post possibly Carnival could give up some of their odd Dockyard berths to HAL. However it is doubtful HAL is interested. They sent the Veendam which could dock in Hamilton which is wide open to Europe and are selling off Princedam, which could also dock in Hamilton.

Edited by Charles4515

Charles,

Based on my experience in Hamilton, the Bermuda tenders, sailing from the anchored ship or from the dock at Hamilton, will not sail until they are close to capacity. This results in prolonged waits for guests at each end of the transfer. On the Hamilton shoreside end, there was no shade, no place for guests to sit while waiting for the tender: this was a big problem for some people.

Ship tenders may be slower in going from ship to shore and not carry as many guests, but their frequency would mitigate that disadvantage,

I am well aware of the fast ferries from the Dockyard, But, I'd prefer getting off the anchored ship into a ship's tender and being taken directly to downtown Hamilton. At the Dockyard, I would have to disembark my ship, walk some distance to the fast ferry, wait (if one is not immediately available), then get to Hamilton. Only to have to repeat this sequence in reverse upon returning "home".

Which is more convenient for the guest may be in the opinion of the individual guest, I guess.

ALL very good points.

Also relevant to the question of convenience with the ferry/tender is how often a person expects to even want to go from Dockyard to Hamilton. I have been there so many times through the years it does not attract me to return a large number of times. I did not mind at all being at the dockyard when I sailed on NCL. There is a good restaurant at the dock where my friends and I enjoyed a very good lunch with a Bermuda friend. I would look to do the same again.

If like me it is not your intnetion to go back and forth from dockyard to Hamilton the lack of convenience won't mean much to you. Personally, I factor that very low but a c knowledge it is quite real.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm sure that this would never happen but P&O Australia has sold off one of the former S Class ships they got. If they finish with the other one it would be nice if HAL could get it back.

Roy

hmm, That is an interesting idea..............

I wonder how well they have cared for the ship?

Rynam is newer than Statendam

The concept of reviving an older ship to be able to utilize a specific port is not unknown.

RCCL brought Empress of the Seas back from a number of years with their Pullmantour subsidiary to be able to have a ship that could fit into Havana.

Wouldn't that be something if we got one or even two of the "S" ships back. When they were transferred, a small ship was not needed for Venice, gthoiugh we went on Rotgterdam . Prinsendam was no tl leaving the fleet then, Bermuda was not a regular itninerary and YES , now Havana :)

Pacific Eden, aka Statendam, is the ship P & O Australia has sold to Phoenix Reisen. I have been told that they are already marketing/selling cruises when the ship is delivered to them. HAL would probably have to pay a "pretty penny" to get the ship back. Not very likely that would happen.

I am still amazed that P & O Australia would sell this vessel after putting money into it to make it suitable for the Australian market and for having it in service for such a short time. I don't think such a decision is very complimentary towards the Company's long range business plans.