new to Holland America

cinncy

This is the first time my wife and i will cruise on a Holland America ship. Will they have anything like the Chefs table on Princess cruise line?Also what are some of the things regular H A cruiser like about them?

This is the first time my wife and i will cruise on a Holland America ship. Will they have anything like the Chefs table on Princess cruise line?Also what are some of the things regular H A cruiser like about them?

Welcome. There are many posters here who cruise both lines so they will be able to tell you more about the comparisons between the two lines. Seems they are more similar than different, but they are different in some key areas. Size the ships is certainly one of them which means HAL ships might offer less onboard, while making up for it by being smaller ships which has its own pleasures.

We like HAL for their itineraries, size, price, onboard staff and crew, cabin layouts, food, and its quiet more sedate ambiance. We have long loved their large libraries on the older ships, but that is now changing on the newer and larger HAL offerings. And we mourn the loss of their more available enrichment speakers, which are now limited to only the longer cruises.

The President/CEO of CLL described on a TV program the two cruise lines as follows: you can take it from there

Princess - a more California vibe and feel (lively?)

Holland America - for Midwesterners, even if they don't live in the Midwest (sedate?)

What was it that made you give HAL a try this time?

The President/CEO of CLL described on a TV program the two cruise lines as follows: you can take it from there

Princess - a more California vibe and feel (lively?)

Holland America - for Midwesterners, even if they don't live in the Midwest (sedate?)

LOL - I always though the Midwest comment explains the mayo on Italian subs, the butter and cheese on a corn beef sandwich, the bad pizza, and Olive Garden level Italian food on HAL ships.

Nothing even close to the Chef's Table experience with galley tour as done on Princess. Having said that, HAL's Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind restaurants are both excellent and compare favourably to the Crown Grill on Princess. If the "De Librije" meal is offered in the Pinnacle Grill on your ship, you should definitely take advantage of it; it surpasses any ship's specialty restaurant we have ever been at in both quality of food and presentation.

Welcome aboard to the ships of HAL. If you go to the, " HAL for Dummies" and the, " Introduction of the Ships & Classes of the HAL Fleet" you should get a good idea of what HAL is all about. Enjoy your cruises.

Allan

Ah, the Chef's Table....we did this on a Princess cruise and really enjoyed the evening. I learned quickly that one must pace themselves, when the main entrée arrived I know I did not do it justice, I just couldn't get another bite in. You didn't say what ship you will be on. Dining venues differ on the ships for the specialty restaurants. As a previous poster wrote the Hal for Dummies site is a good place look for what is offered on your ship etc.

Enjoy your cruise

HAL doesn't have a Chef's Table like Princess.

But HAL used to have a Chef Rudi's dinner -- it was a 7 course dinner -- limited to 18 people. It was stopped a while back and now HAL is trying some new venues. A couple of people are reporting that there is now a 4 course special dinner being tried. I don;t know too much about it.

The music venues, like B.B.King, sound great, and the impressive show lounge....

Maybe that will make the Nieuw Amsterdam less 'sedate'.

Have to love a new ship with plenty of pool deck space and some Promenade!

I really don't need MUTS blaring on screen... pool activities and contests with the activities staff on speakers!!!

I really DO wish their Retreat was a lot more like the Princess Sanctuary.

The Sanctuary on the newer ships seems bigger with a more appealing look and appeal.

I am assuming that HAL offers a drink/cocktail package.

Can anyone tell me how much that runs?

Maybe I can find the info online....

If you do a search on this forum, you will find a plethora of information about the signature/elite beverage package. I might venture you will find more than you ever wanted to know. LOL

... Also what are some of the things regular H A cruiser like about them?

There are many differences (service, price, food quality, entertainment, cabin size, etc., etc., etc.) between Princess and HAL, but IMHO there is only one significant difference between them - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is our hands-down choice. (Passengers who are agnostics, atheists or just anti-Catholic may take comfort in knowing that attendance at Mass is strictly voluntary and open to all, regardless of religious affiliation or non-affiliation.)

As another past Princess cruiser, I would be interested to know more details on how the entertainment and activities might differ?

Are the theater shows on the same lines?

What about other areas of the ship, like the main pool deck?

HAL doesn't have a large Atrium or Lobby type venue...

On Princess, on all, except for the older ships. this a huge venue, with a lot going on.

I do see the collection of music venues on HAL's latest ships as a plus!

Not looking for any particular religious offerings on a larger and non-denominational vacation/cruise.

LOL - I always though the Midwest comment explains the mayo on Italian subs, the butter and cheese on a corn beef sandwich, the bad pizza, and Olive Garden level Italian food on HAL ships.

As a HAL newbie, and a bit of a wanna-be foodie....

OMG, say all of that isn't so!!!!!

Sounds EXACTLY like my mid-western mother-in-law was.

EWWWWWW!!!!!!

Hahahaha!!!!!

Sorry, but even after searching here, and on the HAL web-site, and even going on their Chat, I have no clear concise current info.

Very frustrating.

I am going to start a current thread to see what I can find out.

This is from the HAL website. Does it help answer some of your questions?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1448&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

Thanks!

I was going to post that I just found the info here, if this is the same, current, info.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7762

This would add up on a longer cruise!!!

I wonder if, or how often, they offer a drink package as a promo?

What you found looks similar to what I found when I searched.

We have gotten beverage packages through HAL's "Explore 4" promotion which surfaces every once in a while. I include some info regarding what the "Explore 4" promo includes. It's from a HAL blog entry dated August 2016, but keep watching, I'm sure "Explore 4" will be back at some point.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/the-explore4-savings-program-is-back-so-book-your-201718-cruise/