What happens to bags once we are onboard?

SDCfirsttimeer

I'm going on a first cruise on Royal Caribbean in June, however this answer is probably universal. I was wondering what the process will be once we get onboard as far as the bags are concerned. I have already heard that we should pack items in our carry-ons that will get us through the first several hours just in case, but more specifically......

--Do they search all of the bags once they have them or does it just go through a security scanner?

If they do search - are they considerate about putting things back neatly?

--Do they also search the carry-on bags?

--How long does it typically take until we get them in the cabin? (I have heard that it is a good idea to pack dinner clothes in the carry-on as well)

And as a side note: If, God forbid, the airline loses luggage, is there any way to get it to us once we have departed?

Thank you!

I'm going on a first cruise on Royal Caribbean in June, however this answer is probably universal. I was wondering what the process will be once we get onboard as far as the bags are concerned. I have already heard that we should pack items in our carry-ons that will get us through the first several hours just in case, but more specifically......

--Do they search all of the bags once they have them or does it just go through a security scanner? There are xrayed ashore, not on board.

If they do search - are they considerate about putting things back neatly? Relatively

--Do they also search the carry-on bags? Carryons are treated the same as at the airport. Xrayed.

--How long does it typically take until we get them in the cabin? (I have heard that it is a good idea to pack dinner clothes in the carry-on as well)It varies by cruise line, but the vast majority get their bags prior to sailing. The clothes you travel in could be dinner clothes, as long as they meet the dress code standards. I.e. no shorts in the MDR.

And as a side note: If, God forbid, the airline loses luggage, is there any way to get it to us once we have departed? The airline is responsible to get your bags to you. However, shipping them to your next port, which maybe a good distance away, is something you need to demand.

Thank you!

A little of this varies, but most is standard, and commonly discussed on these boards.

I don't think they physically search the bags but if a scan reveals something they don't like, when you get called to the naughty room, they will ask you to open the bag & unpack the offensive item (alcohol, irons etc.).

I'm hoping that if they found real contraband (guns, bombs etc.) they would search but if that was the case, repacking neatly probablyl wouldn't be your biggest concern.

To guard against the brunt of lost luggage cross pack -- put some of everyone's clothes in each bag so both parties will at least have something to wear.

--Do they search all of the bags once they have them or does it just go through a security scanner? Maybe. if the xray machine shows an anomaly, they will hold it, call you down to the 'naughty room' and make you open it in front of them.

If they do search - are they considerate about putting things back neatly? you will do your own searching, in a manner of speaking. they will say "we say a suspicious item under your socks, please pul l it out so we can examine."

--Do they also search the carry-on bags? yes they do. any banned items will be confiscated and either tossed completely or, depending on port, held until after you return from the cruise. Same with anything they confiscate from checked luggage

--How long does it typically take until we get them in the cabin? (I have heard that it is a good idea to pack dinner clothes in the carry-on as well) Once we had them at our cabin door by the time the cabins were released. and once, it was close to dinner time. there is no rhyme or reason.

And as a side note: If, God forbid, the airline loses luggage, is there any way to get it to us once we have departed? almost certainly NO. at best you can hope for some love from the ship who will issue you some OBC so you can buy a few tee shirts and shorts in the gift shop.

Thank you!

keep all meds in your carry on, as well as any baubles you cannot lose( monetary or sentimental value) plus all your toys/gadgets. the 2 allowed bottles of wine per stateroom should also be in C/O only.

you can wear the bathing suit underneath your clothes if you intend to hit the pools/sunbathe ASAP. the first night is the only night they are more relaxed about shorts in the MDR for dinner as they are well aware that not everyone gets their bags right away. I avoid that by wearing comfortable but slightly nicer clothes.. a pair khakis or a sundress.

Having spent nearly 3 years cruising, we do like to pack a swim suit/coverup in our carry-on so we can change after lunch and enjoy the sun (hopefully it is sunny). We do not normally put dinner clothes in our carry on (we have always had our luggage prior to dinner) although, if you are planning on dining early that might not be a bad idea.

But I do want to address what you do if the airline loses your luggage. The best prevention of this problem is to fly-in at least a day early (it gives your luggage time to catch up to you before the cruise) and to use non-stop flights. In fact, DW and I will often drive up to 2 hours to a major airport in order to get a non-stop flight to our departure ports. But if the worst happens you need to go directly to your ship's Guest Relations Counter and ask for help. The cruise lines are normally very good at working with the airlines and they have the ability to communicate (at no cost to your) with the airlines to expedite getting your luggage. We have actually been on a cruise when a sailing was delayed about an hour so the cruise line could get some late arriving luggage (still at the airport) to the ship before sailing. If your luggage needs to be forwarded to a future port the Guest Relations folks will do their best to work out the details and keep track of the progress.

Hank

May I expand on this issue.

Is there limit on the amount of carry-on baggage, when you reach the port? I am not referring to airline carry-on restrictions but the ship/port restrictions?

Thanks,

Stan

Is there limit on the amount of carry-on baggage, when you reach the port? I am not referring to airline carry-on restrictions but the ship/port restrictions?

Thanks,

Stan

All carry on items must fit thru the standard airport scanner. You can bring 16 carryons, if you can mange that many with grinding the checkin line to a halt. You have far more limitations flying than cruising.

The ports don't really much care, as long as it fits thru the xray machine. Only limitations are cruise line limitations, like beverages.

Thanks,

As I drink mostly bottled water and my travel companion drinks diet Pepsi

(which is not served on Princess ships), I am planning to carry on a large amount of both for a seven day cruise. And I plan to do so in a carry-on.

Stan

Thanks,

Stan

size wise they must fit through the same size xray machine at the security line of the airport. number wise, as many as you are willing to schlep for what could be several hours before you have access to your cabin. keep in mind that areas like the pool and the buffet will get pretty crowded pretty quick and it could get difficult to keep track of too many.

Thanks,

As I drink mostly bottled water and my travel companion drinks diet Pepsi

(which is not served on Princess ships), I am planning to carry on a large amount of both for a seven day cruise. And I plan to do so in a carry-on.

Stan

most 'bottled' water is no more than filtered tap water. just get a Britta personal water bottle with filter if you are that concerned, but honestly, the ship's water is better than any bottled water on the planet.

as for soda, those suckers are heavy so if you wanna be weighed down, more power to ya. most lines have no issue with you slapping a luggage tag on a 24 pack and having it delivered that way.

There is no need to bring on more than one refillable water bottle per person. The water on board is as pure as you can find anywhere, tastes great, is free, and doesn't come with a plastic waste problem.

Thanks, I've been wondering what the quality of the water is on board. I really dislike the taste of tap-water and I can only imagine (imagining incorrectly, so it seems) what the water on a ship in the middle of the ocean might taste like.

Thanks,

Stan

Just be prepared to hand carry all of those "carry on" bags around & on elevators until you can get into your cabin. If you board before a certain time, you may not be able to get into your cabin to drop off. Print out enough luggage tags to tag anything you possibly can -- water, soft drinks, airline carry on bag that DOES NOT HAVE prescriptions, cameras you may want right away, etc. There are NO luggage racks once you board ship that I know of, that you can carry stuff on.

Thanks, I've been wondering what the quality of the water is on board. I really dislike the taste of tap-water and I can only imagine (imagining incorrectly, so it seems) what the water on a ship in the middle of the ocean might taste like.

The water on the ship is made using essentially the same process that water bottling facilities use. All bottled water, even the brands that are from "springs" are processed prior to bottling.

size wise they must fit through the same size xray machine at the security line of the airport.

I rarely fly and can't remember the size of the xray machine in the airport ... and I've read that cruise line scanners can take larger bags than those at airports. Anyone know specific cruise line parameters?

I rarely fly and can't remember the size of the xray machine in the airport ... and I've read that cruise line scanners can take larger bags than those at airports. Anyone know specific cruise line parameters?

The port scanners are exactly the same as at the airport carry on scanners. The standard carryon is described as 20 inches- that it, it's largest (of the three outside numbers- i.e. 20" by X" by Y") measurement is 20 inches.

Some cruise tours and shuttle services will also have size and number limitations as far as luggage goes. For Princess we were told that we could have one carry on for the land portion and it needed to be no larger than 17 x 14 x 4 so as to fit in the appropriate spot during transit. Non-cruise travelling the last couple of years we've also run into the size limitation thing on some airport shuttles and the like.

The port scanners are exactly the same as at the airport carry on scanners. The standard carryon is described as 20 inches- that it, it's largest (of the three outside numbers- i.e. 20" by X" by Y") measurement is 20 inches.

22" x 14" x 9" ... after 2M+ air miles, that's a number that I have memorized.

most 'bottled' water is no more than filtered tap water. just get a Britta personal water bottle with filter if you are that concerned, but honestly, the ship's water is better than any bottled water on the planet.

as for soda, those suckers are heavy so if you wanna be weighed down, more power to ya. most lines have no issue with you slapping a luggage tag on a 24 pack and having it delivered that way.

Last cruise on Carnival back in December, I noticed that they had written in their info to put all drinks in your carry-ons. So being a dutiful cruiser I carried on a bag with 2 bottles of wine, 24 pack soda and several big bottles of water. Never again! It weighed a ton as I lugged it through the 2 hour check in line (ship was late arriving and check in was awful that day) and they didn't even look at them except for a cursory look at the wine bottle to make sure it was sealed. Going back in the checked bag next time and letting them deliver it to me.

On another note, on the same cruise, I called room service to get some glasses of water sent up since I'm not keen on drinking out of the room tap. The person I talked to actually recommended against drinking the water out of the bathroom faucet. I was a bit surprised since I have drank it before and assumed it wouldn't be a problem, but I think it tastes a bit odd. They assured me that it was fully treated and safe, but they don't focus on the taste aspects of it and the water for drinking is treated for better taste. So I bring bottled water and only drink that or from the drink machines, bars, etc.

TBE

Place a copy of your Cruise Ticket/Itinerary in a pocket of every suitcase

If you are using a ship transfer or van from the airport follow your bag until you are assured it is on the correct truck/trailer to your ship

Affix your ship luggage tags securely once you claim your bags at the airport

When at the port, make sure your luggage is on the correct cart for your ship

Sounds like a lot I know but, SIX bags went missing on our September cruise, the passengers "just dropped them off" - handed them to "someone" at the Manhattan Port

Once, in Puerto Rico, I noticed our bags (and others) going on a truck with a different ship name on the window, I still freak out as to where our bags might have ended up.....our first cruise - no more ship transfers for us

Thanks,

Stan

There is no limit. However, please remember that your room probably won't be ready until after 1pm, so anything you carry on you will be lugging around until then. We try to limit things to one backpack - just easier that way.

SueB

• 1 month later...
I didn't want to start a new thread for this one question, so why are bags placed in the hallways as opposed to inside the rooms? I've seen numerous reviewer pics that showed the luggage lined up against walls upon embarking. Just curious....

How many people do you want walking around with a key to your cabin.

We have placed our beverages (not a fan of Coke products) in a plastic bin, paste a luggage tag on it, and hubby gives it to a porter with a tip.

One nice thing about Princess is that when you get on the ship, the cabins are available. You can go directly to your cabin, check it out, unpack your carry-ons (if you want), and then go explore the ship w/o schlepping your stuff.

Archived