Bottled Water

afeiner31

This is what happened. I go to the buffet to fill my bottle but see the signs plastered everywhere. I go to someone working in the buffet and asked them if they could fill it up. They told me that they will only fill up bottles at the bar. I go to the bar and the woman told me that they are't allowed to fill up bottles of water (if she handed me the pitcher an the glass, I would have just done it myself). There was no mention of having to first put it in a glass of water and then into a bottle (but again I would have done that). I told her that I was specifically told that the bars were the only places that would fill up bottles. She just gave in and filled up my bottle. I asked another time at the bar and no problem with them filling it up. I don't think they want you filling up bottles at all period because they want you to buy the water package.

I'm sure NCL are delighted that it is a pain to fill bottles via glasses, which certainly does discourage some people from doing it. However, I can just imagine the outrage from many people if they did allow bottles to be filled directly. It's one of those convenient things for NCL.

Personally, I have never done it myself, so I'm no expert on this by any means. My memory though is that the signs that say not to fill bottles directly do also indicate that you can do by using a glass. I have a vague memory of a sign showing a bottle being filled by a glass with a tick next to it. Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps someone who pays more attention to these things has a better memory of this.

It's always been my impression that there is no deliberate effort to discourage people from filling bottles beyond what is required for health reasons.

• 4 months later...
Water is obviously free, but bottled water isn't, even with the UBP.

Unless you have booked the all inclusive rate in Europe, in which case you get some delivered to your room. There are also others who get some water free, such as higher latitudes levels.

What latitude do u need to be to get the free water?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I'm not even sure if staff filling up water bottles is allowed... At the buffet they have signs EVERYWHERE saying not to fill up water bottles there. I figured that was due to healthcode issues so I took it to the bar area a few times and asked them to fill it up which MOST of the time they did however, some workers said that they are not allowed to fill up water bottles. :confused::confused:. I would never buy the soda or booze package unless there was some crazy special (I just don't drink enough soda to make it worth it, and I would never have more than 2 drinks a day anyway if at all), but I think it's strange that if you get either plan that they don't include bottled water. I believe Celebrity includes it in their beverage plan.
You can not fill your water bottle up from the dispenser faucet, but were able to fill it with a glass. Possibly this has changed because too many passengers whould abide by it.

My intention was to give information to a CC member with 4 posts who may not know that the "free" drink package they received is not without cost. It was not addressed to Norwegian apologists .
Hopefully, they look at their cruise confirmation that clearly itemizes everything, including the service charge for the drink package. If they don't, then it is on them.

Bottled water is not free on NCL or any mass market cruise line. The water on the ship is fine to drink and you can bring your own refillable water bottles. Fill them at the buffet or any bar or restaurant. That water is more purified than anything you get in a bottle.

Just returned from a Carnival cruise for which we purchased the drink package for the first time. It DOES, indeed, include bottled water, as well as specialty coffees! Very sad that we will have to purchase bottled water, if we want it, for our upcoming cruise on the Pearl, even though we have the promotional drink package. Also, totally fine with paying the $200/couple gratuity charge for that package. We did not drink enough to fully justify Carnival's drink pkg., but will easily drink $200 work of alcohol between us. Can't even imagine anyone paying the full price NCL charges for theirs!

Haven’t cruised since 2015 , when we went on an Alaska cruise on the jewel . We brought water in our checked luggage probably 24 Mini bottles . Is that not allowed any more ?

No, it isn’t allowed any more and they generally police it quite strictly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just saw a water post and i had to jump in. just came back from princess and they charged me only 8 bucks for a case of water vs the 70 that NCL charged me (didnt even get a haven discount)

you can also bring on unlimited water and soda

if princess can do this, why cant NCL?

i just saw a water post and i had to jump in. just came back from princess and they charged me only 8 bucks for a case of water vs the 70 that NCL charged me (didnt even get a haven discount)

Why not? The an$wer is quit $imple. It'$ a matter of revenue for $ure.

Probably because it is not in their business model. Just because one cruise line does something, doesn't mean they all have to do it. Does Princes give the same perks that NCL does; on my next cruise I get free Daily Service Charge (probably called gratuities on Princess), drink package, 4 night dining package, 250 minutes of internet time and $50 off shore excursions. If NCL can do this, why doesn't Princess do the same?

Oh no lol I just booked last night and I’m already unintentionally causing mayhem .

Welcome to the NCL board on Cruise Critic!

To answer your original question, there have been a number of changes in addition to the new water policy, but most you probably already know about, like the increase in the daily service charge amount. I think the ones you might not be aware of include that some of the specialty restaurants changed their pricing to a la carte, so there's not a fixed cover charge for them any longer. Room service also "attracts" (their word) a delivery fee of $7.95 per order except for continental breakfast items (coffee, tea and pastries) delivered between about 6 AM and about 11 AM.There are a few conditions on that; if you order an extra cost item then it covers the delivery fee, and you don't pay the $5 pizza delivery fee in addition to the $7.95 delivery fee for pizzas ordered between 11 PM and 6 AM (or whatever that old policy was). The menus in the room clearly show this so you don't have to search for details before you board.

We still find NCL a good value overall, and like the atmosphere on board more than most other lines.

Come on folks, let’s really focus here and drive this to over 100 posts. Especially when the first reply, I’ll assume, answered this question with the correct response of “no.”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe if you keep posting, it will get there?

We just got off the Pearl and they did have a few places where you could fill water bottles. I just filled my bottle with the water in the ice bucket. Ours was filled every night when they ‘turned down our bed’. By morning enough ice had melted to fill my water bottle.

We just got off the Pearl and they did have a few places where you could fill water bottles. I just filled my bottle with the water in the ice bucket. Ours was filled every night when they ‘turned down our bed’. By morning enough ice had melted to fill my water bottle.

I like ice water but not melted ice. I'll probably go with a small bottle of Acqua Panna.