Just off AMAStella Danube Cruise!

annmarz

I am trying to think of anything I forgot to mention so far and I apologize for not responding to the requests to post copies of the tip sheet and Daily Programs. Have been really busy since I returned. I Will try.

I did not mention the Oktoberfest party they had for us upon embarkation in Vilshofen. This was really fun! Actually we embarked first and then went out to a heated tent for free beer and a big pretzel with musicians and entertainment. Since I am a beer person, not a wino like most on the cruise, I "owned" this event. It lasted an hour. A festive way to start the cruise.

The Staff - The captain was a big presence onboard. He made an effort to personally greet everyone and appeared throughout the week at various events. The Cruise Manager, Reza, was delightful, energetic, and very very competent. If I was going to be just a little bit critical, it would be with the front desk staff. Perhaps I encountered a trainee or two, but several times my simple questions were met with confusion, although always polite. And during the busy times of preparing for the departure of excursions, sometimes we felt like we were being barked at to "wait in the lounge." But in the staff's defense I must say that so many passengers failed to educate themselves on the procedures (obtain color coded ticket, sign out with your cruise card, etc.) that it had to be frustrating for them as well. So it works both ways.

The gift shop - What you would expect for a ship this size. A nice selection, average prices. Meager and high-priced selection of sundries. A diversion, for browsing, didn't see anyone actually buying anything.

The in-Cabin gift - At the beginning of the cruise they place a gift on your bed for each male and female in the cabin, I won't spoil the surprise.

Good morning, they must have changed when they give the gift......I got on the last evening of the cruise.

Yes. I was expecting the gift at the end, based on cruise critic posts, and was surprised to see it in the beginning. It was nice to have the items during the trip!

It was late for us also. The dinner time varies. One night was 7:45! There were no other options for dinner. I think the earliest dinner was 6:30.

Thanks much for all the information! We leave tomorrow afternoon for Budapest and board on Wednesday... so will report back with info from AmaStella!

TwinCheryl - Have a great trip!. If you can - please post if you get a chance - we'll be boarding in 3 wks (AMASerena Danube).

I have started a new thread with daily comments if you’d like to follow along...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh boy... we have connections in both of those places. Two hours in Munich going and only one hour in Frankfurt returning. Did you make your connections or have to reschedule? Any tips?

Did you fly business class on Lufthansa? What was bad about it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One hour is a very close connection in Frankfurt. The airport is HUGE and not particularly user friendly.

I would suggest you arrange in advance for an electric cart to get you from your arrival gate to the departure gate.

One hour is a very close connection in Frankfurt. The airport is HUGE and not particularly user friendly.

I would suggest you arrange in advance for an electric cart to get you from your arrival gate to the departure gate.

Thanks for that advice...we will try to find out how to do that. Would we do that in Nuremberg before we depart?

Thanks for that advice...we will try to find out how to do that. Would we do that in Nuremberg before we depart?

It should be done well in advance, don't leave it to the last minute.

Here is one way to do this if you just want the comfort of a rapid transfer, rather than needing it due to disability...

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/flights---more/transfer.detail.suffix.html/service/comfort-services/gate-to-gate-service.html

For guests who like to explore independently, does AmaWaterways offer a shuttle into the towns to accommodate this? For instance in Vienna and Nuremburg? We would love to explore Nuremburg on our own - there is a museum we'd like to visit but the "official" excursion doesn't visit that. Since the boat doesn't dock closeby, a shuttle bus would be nice. Same thing for Vienna. If we don't want to take the ship excursion - is there a shuttle made available throughout the day?

For guests who like to explore independently, does AmaWaterways offer a shuttle into the towns to accommodate this? For instance in Vienna and Nuremburg? We would love to explore Nuremburg on our own - there is a museum we'd like to visit but the "official" excursion doesn't visit that. Since the boat doesn't dock closeby, a shuttle bus would be nice. Same thing for Vienna. If we don't want to take the ship excursion - is there a shuttle made available throughout the day?

There is no shuttle in Vienna but there’s a subway stop very close to the ship and they give you explicit directions which train and stop to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It should be done well in advance, don't leave it to the last minute.

Here is one way to do this if you just want the comfort of a rapid transfer, rather than needing it due to disability...

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/flights---more/transfer.detail.suffix.html/service/comfort-services/gate-to-gate-service.html

Well, we made it with time to spare and our outbound flight from FRA was 20 min late leaving. Very easy process even with a bus gate on both ends of our BUD flight. FRA airport was very well marked and easy to follow signs!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, we made it with time to spare and our outbound flight from FRA was 20 min late leaving. Very easy process even with a bus gate on both ends of our BUD flight. FRA airport was very well marked and easy to follow signs!

I don't disagree, but then again I've been traveling to and through all the main EU airports for many years now so I try to remember that some people prefer any easy, stress-free and well organized life, so if having an assisted transfer in an unfamiliar location with some degree of time sensitivity makes the trip more enjoyable and relaxed, then why not? :)