Dog on cruise is better dressed than many passengers :)

On the independence last Thanksgiving, there was a yorkie named Romeo. He was an anxiety service dog, who I believe was for the husband even though the wife pushed the stroller. The dog must be certified as a therapy dog and have a special certificate before Royal will allow them to board. He was so cute! Even wore a tuxedo on formal night. The best part was going to look at the photography walls every day and finding pictures of Romeo and his parents!!

My daughter and I were on the same cruise - and on the first night, ate dinner at Giovanni's. They were at the table beside us - dog in the stroller the whole time. I can honestly tell you - the dog was for the wife. We spoke with both of them briefly while waiting for food/drink. That was the only time we saw them though we kept looking!

I'm not surprised by the number of folks that game the system to take their precious critters with them everywhere - there will always be folks that believe that they are not subject to the rules for whatever reason. We call them "specials".

For those whom have a furry companion so that they can enjoy a better quality of life - carry on! I'm happy that you have the ability to enjoy the same things I take for granted everyday!

M.

No offense to all those that like to dress up you're dog... I just would never dream of doing it. :)

I agree - I could never dress up my animals! My 80#, 13-year old lab would look at me like I lost my mind, then proceed to eat the costume! Which is exactly what she did when my daughter decided to put a tutu on her. Huge vet bill later - and lots of laxatives.... the tutu was in ruins! lol :D

And given how many scratches I came away with trying to put a collar on my cat - I refuse to get near her with anything to wear ever again!!! :eek:

Just returned from the 8/23 Freedom cruise. Cruise was wonderful. Just want to comment on a lady who had a small dog in a stroller. I saw her several times during the week. She was happy to show the dog to anyone.

We saw her with her dog in the stroller for the D+ upper tier/Pinnacle meal with officers and she even dressed the dog in a sailor outfit! There were about 30 people in attendance, with open seating and everyone avoided her table until it was the only one with remaining seats.

I've been on cruises with service dogs ( mostly for sight or mobility impaired individuals) but this was the first time I had seen a dog dressed up.

Marci.

I think the first clue to me that this was not a 'legitimate service dog' (many of you may disagree with me) is that "She was happy to show the dog to anyone". From the conversations I had in the past with the Lighthouse for the Blind (because of my mothers increasing blindness issues) was that service animals are not 'introduce to others as pets' since they are 'working to assist the person who needs their service'.

The service dogs I have seen, have been the most obedient; keeping close to their owners to do the work they do. When the service dog loses its understanding as to what it is supposed to do (mixing being played with by others), it is of little value to the supposed owner in its time of need.

Just like when you get a dog hoping that it will protect your home from intruders, yet the intruders come armed with steak to make the dog happy, while they steal you blind....better to get an alarm system. Call the pet dog a pet dog and a service animal a service animal.

Just like the police officer who has a dog because they are part of the 'canine patrol'. That dog isn't treated in the same way as a family pet....if it did it would lose its sense of right and wrong when it was 'on the job'....to the dog, it is ALWAYS on the job. This I know first hand from an police officer and thei family, who is part of the 'canine patrol'.

I can tell you one thing, if I was seated at dinner with a person who I felt had come on to the ship with a dog, that did not resonate to me as a service dog....I would get another table assignment. A service animal should be seated at the foot of the chair of the person they aide, not in their lap or trying to nuzzle up to fellow guests. That dog would make my dinnertime, uncomfortable....and there is no reason for ME to be uncomfortable because of them.

No one has to agree with me on this....that is just fine.

The dog must be certified as a therapy dog and have a special certificate before Royal will allow them to board.

That is not true. RCCL's policy from the website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability." Service dogs are not considered pets.

Evidence that a dog is a service dog is helpful but not required (such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses and/or tags or the credible verbal assurance of the person with a disability using the dog).

The reason they don't require any sort of certification is because there isn't any! Yes, there are trainers that certify their dogs, but this isn't anything official or regulated. Also, RCCL could be sued for ADA violations for requiring any sort of certification, or even asking about it.

The only indication of Servic Dog was a badge clipped to the stroller.

There is no legal requirement that the animal has to wear any identification to be recognized as a service animal. They do not have to wear an id tag or vest.

Service animals are pretty easy to recognize. They are very well trained so when out in public are unobtrusive. In a restaurant they usually sit under the table and don't move.

this sort of animal (assuming we are talking PTSD as a diagnosis) is an actual Service animal. these dogs are specially trained to recognize the signs of impending meltdown( triggers for PTSD vary greatly) and also trained to nip it in the bud

this is for EVERYONE's safety not just the patient.

although I have never seen a yorkie trained thus. usually its medium sized dogs as they are large enough to physically 'herd' their human into a safe zone as well as warn off others.

An emotional support animal is actually NOT considered a service animal and is not recognized by the ADA as such. So technically someone that has an animal for ptsd would not be allowed to bring them with them. However we live In a sue happy society so most businesses won't say anything for fear of being sued.

Edited by BeachChik

An emotional support animal is actually NOT considered a service animal and is not recognized by the ADA as such. So technically someone that has an animal for ptsd would not be allowed to bring them with them. However we live In a sue happy society so most businesses won't say anything for fear of being sued.

This is completely incorrect. Service dogs are recognized for people who suffer PTSD.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Humans need documents to get on a ship a dog doesn't. Have they ever considered people who could be severely allergic to dogs. They have different cruises to suit all walks of life why not start cruises for people who need service animals I don't want to eat breakfast lunch or dinner with dogs at the table(gross) I'm sorry If I offend anyone I don't mean to.

My daughter and I were on the same cruise - and on the first night, ate dinner at Giovanni's. They were at the table beside us - dog in the stroller the whole time. I can honestly tell you - the dog was for the wife. We spoke with both of them briefly while waiting for food/drink. That was the only time we saw them though we kept looking!

I'm not surprised by the number of folks that game the system to take their precious critters with them everywhere - there will always be folks that believe that they are not subject to the rules for whatever reason. We call them "specials".

For those whom have a furry companion so that they can enjoy a better quality of life - carry on! I'm happy that you have the ability to enjoy the same things I take for granted everyday!

M.

Thank you, your last sentence says it all.

The problem is that ADA laws require the cruise lines (and restaurants, theme parks, shopping malls, basically any place) to accommodate service animals. They can't require any certifications an they can't even ask for any sort of proof that the animal provides any sort of specific service. I suppose the thought was asking these questions might embarrass or aggravate the disabled person. Even if they were able to require certifications, there are no "official" regulated certifications. But there are plenty of places on The Internet that will sell you a very nice looking "certificate" for $20 or so.

So, as is the usual case, some people have figured out that all they have to do is call their pet a "service animal" and they get to take it places it shouldn't be. A proper service animal is pretty easy to recognize as it will be trained to not bark or react to stressful situations. Personally, I believe that if business (cruise lines included) would start ejected people when their "service animals" began to interfere with the enjoyment of other guests (such as barking, biting, peeing, pooping, etc.) then this problem would go away. Yes, I am sure there is fear of ADA lawsuits, but I'll bet these rude people wouldn't push it that far as they would be discovered as just gaming the system.

a restaurant, etc. has the right to ask what service the animal provides for you.. but they cannot ask what your disability is

I have a couple of wealthy friends with "service dogs"... wasn't so hard to get them certified, and now they go everywhere with my friends!

There is a guy who lives near me... his cat is a service cat. Princess Sugar Pie. She has her own facebook page and everything. Wears a cowboy hat, he brushes her teeth, etc. He is a little.... nuts. Definitely the crazy cat man.

https://www.google.com/search?q=princess+sugar+pie+therapy+cat&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMI0Ji28KvSxwIVCHk-Ch0zcwUh&biw=1298&bih=719

Edited by tinatark

Wow 4 pages for a dog in clothes, riding in a stroller.

First off are we sure it wasn't a dog trained to sniff alcohol in luggage, bark an alert when someone wears shorts in the dining room, or sniff out non Platinum members in the concierge lounge? You know a Royal employed dog.

Sorry to all of you who are offended by people cheating and bringing their pet. But....

1. Cruise line has to accommodate service animals (dogs).

2. There is no certification of said animals (so don't pay for a fake one)

3. There are not that many people taking dogs on cruises

4. The cruise lines are not going to try and have their employees trained to differentiate between emotional and psychiatric support animals.

5. It is not worth the risk of turning away a needed support animal and the resulting problems, to stop a slight fraction of passengers from bringing fluffy or mr. cuddles on board.

So this is not going to change.

They do have the right to make sure the dog and its owner are following the requirements for controlling the animal. If you see a dog sitting in a chair or being fed from the table, you can have the situation corrected. This is part of the ADA guidelines. As is the dog being toilet trained, the owner cleaning up after the dog, the dog not being a nuisance to other customers, etc.

I mentioned in an earlier post that we saw a young autistic boy with a dog on a cruise, the dog was perfectly well behaved and on a leash at all times.

Why it does seem odd that someone would dress a service dog up, it is possible. Just assume the dog is serving a purpose, and go about your day.

Unless the dog is smoking in a non-designated area, then you should have him put off the ship.

Here's the giveaway: The dog is in a stroller and has an outfit on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

*LOL*

In my old neighborhood there was a woman who had three little poofy dogs that she would dress to the nines in little glittery costumes and hats ..the works.. And she would pull them all around in a wagon :) :)

The look on my DWs dad face the day he stopped by, and saw her walk by with this menagerie was priceless . He called her Patsy Ramsey *LOL*

Wow 4 pages for a dog in clothes, riding in a stroller.

Just assume the dog is serving a purpose, and go about your day.

Unless the dog is smoking in a non-designated area, then you should have him put off the ship.

How cruel, uncaring and insensitive! The LEAST you could do is offer a little compassion for the VICTIM here!

That poor helpless canine was LURED into that unfortunate and unhealthy habit by those despicably evil tobacco companies!

The reason for the stroller is probably to mitigate COPD or emphysema caused by smoking.

Have YOU ever had to contend with an alpha male pushing that terrible habit on new members of YOUR pack?

Who knows what terrible consequences await poor fido in what should be his golden years.

He will most likely need to be accompanied by a service human... to carry an inhaler and change his O2 tank.

Edited by teecee60

How come they don't need any proof that they actually are a service dog???

The law prohibits a requirement of proof and bars organizations for even asking. It's to protect the individual with the disability from unwarranted and unneeded interrogation about their disability.

I've seen a lady that had a service dog (German Shepard) for panic disorder secondary to PTSD from a violent sexual assault. Imagine that woman having to explain why she has the dog to a male officer (or anyone).

ADA prohibits questioning of the disability except to determine the needed accommodations or to rule out a hazard to others (communicable diseases such as TB, Ebola, etc...)

FMLA is the same. An employer cannot ask a physician to provide diagnosis or any specific medical information, only that it meets the qualifications listed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

As far as people assuming someone isn't disabled looks can be very deceiving. I asked for and received disability assistance on an airport once.

They put my luggage on a cart, propped me in a wheelchair, I was given a blue plastic case for my boarding pass and was the first passenger on the plane. During the flight some older man berated me for "abusing" the system to get "waited on like royalty".

I had to lift my shirt and show him my surgical incision and explain to him I was flying home 2 days after undergoing emergency surgery while away at college so that I could recover with the assistance of family.

This is completely incorrect. Service dogs are recognized for people who suffer PTSD.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

They are not considered service animals.

"An emotional support animal is a companion animal (typically a dog or cat) that provides a therapeutic benefit to its owner through companionship. The animal provides emotional support and comfort to individuals with psychiatric disabilities and other mental impairments. The animal is not specifically trained to perform tasks for a person who suffers from emotional disabilities. Unlike a service animal, an emotional support animal is not granted access to places of public accommodation."

"The Definition of a Service Animal under the Americans With Disabilities Act and Guidance documents from the U.S. Department of Justice have established two training requirements for a Service Animal. The first is that a service animal must be individually trained to perform tasks or work for the benefit of a disabled individual. The second is that a service animal must be trained to behave properly in places of public accommodation. Inappropriate behavior that disrupts the normal course of business or threatens the health or safety of others is automatic grounds for excluding the team from the premises.

Most animals, including but not limited to those labeled Companion Animals, Emotional Support Animals and Therapy Animals or pets are NOT service animals according to ADA’s Definition, as they have NOT been individually trained to perform disability mitigating tasks. Thus their handlers do not legally qualify for public access rights. Typically these animals also lack the months of training on obedience and manners needed to behave properly under challenging conditions in places of public accommodation."

Edited by BeachChik

I had to lift my shirt and show him my surgical incision and explain to him I was flying home 2 days after undergoing emergency surgery while away at college so that I could recover with the assistance of family.

I bet that shut him up.

On our last cruise on Freedom there was a lady ( possibly the same one ) with a dog in a stroller. The crew stated the dog. Was a "service dog" that prevented her anxiety attacks in public places. Many of them quietly admitted that she was a pinacle member who had threatened to take her considerable bank roll to another line of she wasn't allowed to travel with the dog after her husband died.