Can Whats App Be Used While on a Cruise Ship?

jlf1

Hello All,

I sometime use Whats App for texting. Can this be used while in the middle of the Atlantic? How do I disable my phone service and still connect to the internet?

All assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

Judy

Hello All,

I sometime use Whats App for texting. Can this be used while in the middle of the Atlantic? How do I disable my phone service and still connect to the internet?

All assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

Judy

Turn on airplane mode and turn on wi fi. Then connect to the ship's wifi.

This way your phone will not connect to the ships expensive cell service when at sea.

You still need to purchase an internet plan onboard.

• Like 1

Yes, but on Princess, you will incur a per-minute charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I'll have Internet minutes (Elite) so don't have to worry about that. Only want to be able to text.

To the poster who suggested that I disconnect while on vacation. My vacation remains worry free if I'm able to contact my family while away.

But thank you for your concern.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

To the OP: I have used What's App successfully for texting while connected to my ship internet package. But text only. I did not attempt a What'sApp phone call or video as the ship's internet isn't speedy enough for either.

We have successfully used WhatsApp and others to make phone calls while onboard using the ship's Wi-Fi.

Comcast's Xfinity Connect works particularly well since we're able to call any phone in the US...not just cell phones that have WhatsApp installed.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

We have successfully used WhatsApp and others to make phone calls while onboard using the ship's Wi-Fi.

Comcast's Xfinity Connect works particularly well since we're able to call any phone in the US...not just cell phones that have WhatsApp installed.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

The texting has always worked well for us but the calling can be hit and miss and in my experience is a bandwidth dependent issue. If the system is bogged down then don't count on phone calls working well if at all.

AT&T, as well as others I believe, have also started allowing wifi calling, which works just like the Xfinity app or WhatsApp, but with your phone number just like it were on network.

As I said I'm only interested in texting and the advice that I have received so far has been extremely helpful. I've tried it here at home and I now understand the process.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk

The texting has always worked well for us but the calling can be hit and miss and in my experience is a bandwidth dependent issue. If the system is bogged down then don't count on phone calls working well if at all.

AT&T, as well as others I believe, have also started allowing wifi calling, which works just like the Xfinity app or WhatsApp, but with your phone number just like it were on network.

We have also used our T-mobile's wifi calling during our recent cruise.

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2017 at 6:06 PM, jlf1 said:

As I said I'm only interested in texting and the advice that I have received so far has been extremely helpful. I've tried it here at home and I now understand the process.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk

We want to use text on the ship as well. It’s a great way to keep in touch with my kid! We’re you able to make this work on the ship’s Wi-Fi?  I do not want to place calls nor text anyone off the ship. 

3 hours ago, ibchupacabra said:

We want to use text on the ship as well. It’s a great way to keep in touch with my kid! We’re you able to make this work on the ship’s Wi-Fi?  I do not want to place calls nor text anyone off the ship. 

Use the free Princess@Sea app, only available onboard. Message anyone onboard free, using the ship's intranet.  

3 minutes ago, ibchupacabra said:

The only thing I don’t like about the Princess site is it doesn’t alert you to messages. Boo hiss. 

Personally, I'm thankful there's no buzz, beep, etc to alert to messages. Imagine 3000 people with phones pinging or buzzing at any given moment to alert to incoming message.  No thanks.

There's a red flag when there's s new message. Good enough for me.. YMMV.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pencilpusher44 said:

Since we are talking about this,  if I am not mistaken,  if you are with ATT,  you can opt to pay a $10.00/day fee for unlimited texting and calls.

Has anybody done this?  It seems like a relatively inexpensive option. 

Yes, I have......... but the travel pass is only good on land. The $10 a day is not good while at sea. Last Princess cruise I bought the travel passes at the ports and used my complementary loyalty minutes at sea.