Great stirrup cay

123veranda

Gonna be there in June. Looking @ videos and liking what I see, but looks like a lot of walking! Are there trams or golf cart things u can use? Person I’m going with can’t walk long distances. In one video I saw a sand wheelchair. Anybody know about them?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's pretty spread out- with several beach options. So you can certainly stay pretty close to where you tender, but even that requires some walking- maybe 100 yards or so to get from where the tender is to where the closest beach is. You pass bathrooms, bars, and food on the way, so you could be within that same 100 yards for the day. That said, there were some golf cart trams and yes "sand" wheelchairs- I'm not sure the process for using the wheelchairs- I'm sure you could ask about that at guest services onboard.

Thx 4 the quick reply. There’s hope. She is soooo looking forward to this trip but I know she can’t do long walks. May not need the wheelchair if there are trams & golf carts.

There are no trams or golf carts. You can make arrangements for the sand wheelchair once on GSC. They are to be used from the point of departure to wherever you are going to be. Cannot keep for the duration of your stay. When you want to leave, same procedure. This is because there are so few available, people cannot keep the entire time.

last time we were there there were definitely trams taking people to the furthest beaches. That was 2 years ago though- maybe that has stopped since the construction has closed down some of that far lagoon area from what I hear.

To me, with a little limited mobility (very bad knee) is getting from the ship and on to the tenders. Getting off and back on the tenders at GSC is not so much of an issue. Getting back on to the ship from the tender is always an issue for me.

Darn. I’m gonna have to really do some research. If there’s no way to get her from one place to another we can’t go. Especially since tendering. If w get there & she can’t do the walk, how long would we have to wait to tender back? Labadee they had wheelchairs from the ship to islands & then trams to go anywhere u wanted to go.

Is your friend able to go up/down steps? She will have to in order to get on the tender.

Found this from a search - accessible information listed toward the end.

Island: Great Stirrup Cay

Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line

Great-stirrup-Cay.jpg

Great Stirrup Cay offers many family friendly activities such as snorkelling, kayaking, Eco-Boat tours, and even a Stingray Encounter

Norwegian Cruise Line has financed numerous noteworthy updates throughout the years in order to continually improve the facilities at Great Stirrup Cay, located in the crystal clear waters of the Bahamas. Today, as a part of Norwegian’s $400 million investment program The Norwegian Edge™, the cruise line is reforming the destination now through summer 2017 to deliver new luxurious facilities, new adventure activities, improved and expanded dining options that, together, will present an elevated haven for guests visiting the island.

Great Stirrup Cay provides superior new restaurants and amenities, as well as an abundance of smaller details to raise the bar on the island experience even higher. Great Stirrup Cay’s 10 acre beach features a new half mile Oceanside footpath that will span the length of the shore with more than 100,000 square feet of pathway, offering easy access to the white sand beaches, as well as access to new shaded areas with benches for relaxation.

Just adjacent to the beach, guests looking for a more active island experience can visit the new half-acre entertainment and activity complex, containing a stage for live music, games and entertainers; basketball and volleyball courts, complete with bleachers; ping-pong tables; and a shaded picnic area where families can play board games or relax together. A new air-conditioned reception area will serve as the central hub for family-fun where guests can plan their day, reserve activities, rent board games and have access to expansive changing rooms.

Adreneline junkies will be able to enjoy a new zip line course featuring more than 1,000 feet of zip line, allowing guests a bird’s eye view of the island and the sea as they ascend through the air. The island’s two parallel zip lines offer the chance for some sociable rivalry and high-flying races.

Those who wish to take to the sea for exploration can snorkel through the island’s new magical underwater sculpture garden. Using a waterproof map as a guide, adventure seekers can discover nautical creatures that tell stories of the deep from beneath the sea.

From the many new shaded lounge and picnic spaces, to more than $1 million in new landscaping throughout the island, to new restrooms and lockers at the tender marina, guests will find a whole new experience.

All dining and bar venues have been updated island-wide, adding new resort-style decking, shaded areas, high-top seating at all bars and family-style seating.

The new complimentary taco bar, Abaco Taco, has been added near the island’s entertainment hub, where guests can make their own favourite tacos. The island’s 8,500-square foot buffet provides quicker and more well-organized service for guests, and the deck surrounding the buffet will be expanded so guests can enjoy their lunch at new seating areas. The center of the island will feature a sheltered lounge area with up-to-date stylish furniture and bar service, for guests who want to enjoy paradise in style.

Building on the brand’s exclusive partnership with Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, Great Stirrup Cay also features a LandShark Bar & Grill. Inspired by the traditional beach bars of the Atlantic Coast, LandShark Bar & Grill offers the perfect mix of casual dining, free-flowing drinks and fun with panoramic ocean views and indoor and outdoor seating. Menu items will be available à la carte.

Guests looking for the ultimate island indulgence will experience a retreat like no other at Great Stirrup Cay’s exclusive lagoon reserve. This private area of Great Stirrup Cay features a private, unspoiled beach; oceanview restaurant; a high-class Mandara Spa; sheltered family area; and 22 air-conditioned private villas available for reservations, ranging in size from studios to two-bedrooms.

The lagoon will be available on a complimentary basis to The Haven and Suite guests, along with guests who purchase an on-island Mandara Spa service. Moreover, a restricted amount of passes to the Lagoon will available for purchase on each sailing.

Guests who purchase a reservation for one of Great Stirrup Cay’s luxury beach villas will be totally spoilt, as they will be whisked away by one of several air-conditioned shuttles running from the tender marina to the lagoon reception area.

Studio villas feature an outdoor terrace, private bathroom and living/dining area, and can accommodate two to four guests. One bedroom villas accommodate four to six guests and feature a bedroom, private bathroom, living and dining areas and outdoor terrace with a hot tub.

The ultimate island escape, Great Stirrup Cay’s two bedroom villas can accommodate up to 10 guests and feature two bedrooms, two private bathrooms, living and dining areas, and an expansive outdoor terrace with a dining area and hot tub.

Exclusively for guests of the lagoon retreat, the two-story Silver Palm restaurant will offer complimentary dining in a spectacular setting, with both indoor and outdoor seating, as well as a rooftop terrace overlooking the area’s spread-out ocean views. All luxury beach villas will also include food and beverage service for guests who wish to enjoy refreshments in the privacy of their villa.

Accessibility on Great Stirrup Cay

Your ship uses a gangway to embark passengers onto the tender; it’s not as steep incline than gangways at port. Guests using wheelchairs are transferred to a large flat area at the bow of the tender, and they will stay there during the tendering process. From the tender, ramps are positioned for the disembarkation process.

Norwegian Cruise Line reserves a restricted number of wheelchairs on Great Stirrup Cay that have been designed for use on sand.

They are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The wheelchairs are free to hire, and can be picked up at the Tender Pier. The beach wheelchairs are made for use on the sand.

Great Stirrup Cay features a variety of excursions; however, none are wheelchair accessible.

The bar and dining facilities on Great Stirrup Cay are wheelchair accessible.

All of the bathrooms are wheelchair accessible; but, they do not accommodate companions.

Is your friend able to go up/down steps? She will have to in order to get on the tender.

Found this from a search - accessible information listed toward the end.

Island: Great Stirrup Cay

Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line

Great-stirrup-Cay.jpg

Great Stirrup Cay offers many family friendly activities such as snorkelling, kayaking, Eco-Boat tours, and even a Stingray Encounter

Norwegian Cruise Line has financed numerous noteworthy updates throughout the years in order to continually improve the facilities at Great Stirrup Cay, located in the crystal clear waters of the Bahamas. Today, as a part of Norwegian’s $400 million investment program The Norwegian Edge[emoji769], the cruise line is reforming the destination now through summer 2017 to deliver new luxurious facilities, new adventure activities, improved and expanded dining options that, together, will present an elevated haven for guests visiting the island.

Great Stirrup Cay provides superior new restaurants and amenities, as well as an abundance of smaller details to raise the bar on the island experience even higher. Great Stirrup Cay’s 10 acre beach features a new half mile Oceanside footpath that will span the length of the shore with more than 100,000 square feet of pathway, offering easy access to the white sand beaches, as well as access to new shaded areas with benches for relaxation.

Just adjacent to the beach, guests looking for a more active island experience can visit the new half-acre entertainment and activity complex, containing a stage for live music, games and entertainers; basketball and volleyball courts, complete with bleachers; ping-pong tables; and a shaded picnic area where families can play board games or relax together. A new air-conditioned reception area will serve as the central hub for family-fun where guests can plan their day, reserve activities, rent board games and have access to expansive changing rooms.

Adreneline junkies will be able to enjoy a new zip line course featuring more than 1,000 feet of zip line, allowing guests a bird’s eye view of the island and the sea as they ascend through the air. The island’s two parallel zip lines offer the chance for some sociable rivalry and high-flying races.

Those who wish to take to the sea for exploration can snorkel through the island’s new magical underwater sculpture garden. Using a waterproof map as a guide, adventure seekers can discover nautical creatures that tell stories of the deep from beneath the sea.

From the many new shaded lounge and picnic spaces, to more than $1 million in new landscaping throughout the island, to new restrooms and lockers at the tender marina, guests will find a whole new experience.

All dining and bar venues have been updated island-wide, adding new resort-style decking, shaded areas, high-top seating at all bars and family-style seating.

The new complimentary taco bar, Abaco Taco, has been added near the island’s entertainment hub, where guests can make their own favourite tacos. The island’s 8,500-square foot buffet provides quicker and more well-organized service for guests, and the deck surrounding the buffet will be expanded so guests can enjoy their lunch at new seating areas. The center of the island will feature a sheltered lounge area with up-to-date stylish furniture and bar service, for guests who want to enjoy paradise in style.

Building on the brand’s exclusive partnership with Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, Great Stirrup Cay also features a LandShark Bar & Grill. Inspired by the traditional beach bars of the Atlantic Coast, LandShark Bar & Grill offers the perfect mix of casual dining, free-flowing drinks and fun with panoramic ocean views and indoor and outdoor seating. Menu items will be available à la carte.

Guests looking for the ultimate island indulgence will experience a retreat like no other at Great Stirrup Cay’s exclusive lagoon reserve. This private area of Great Stirrup Cay features a private, unspoiled beach; oceanview restaurant; a high-class Mandara Spa; sheltered family area; and 22 air-conditioned private villas available for reservations, ranging in size from studios to two-bedrooms.

The lagoon will be available on a complimentary basis to The Haven and Suite guests, along with guests who purchase an on-island Mandara Spa service. Moreover, a restricted amount of passes to the Lagoon will available for purchase on each sailing.

Guests who purchase a reservation for one of Great Stirrup Cay’s luxury beach villas will be totally spoilt, as they will be whisked away by one of several air-conditioned shuttles running from the tender marina to the lagoon reception area.

Studio villas feature an outdoor terrace, private bathroom and living/dining area, and can accommodate two to four guests. One bedroom villas accommodate four to six guests and feature a bedroom, private bathroom, living and dining areas and outdoor terrace with a hot tub.

The ultimate island escape, Great Stirrup Cay’s two bedroom villas can accommodate up to 10 guests and feature two bedrooms, two private bathrooms, living and dining areas, and an expansive outdoor terrace with a dining area and hot tub.

Exclusively for guests of the lagoon retreat, the two-story Silver Palm restaurant will offer complimentary dining in a spectacular setting, with both indoor and outdoor seating, as well as a rooftop terrace overlooking the area’s spread-out ocean views. All luxury beach villas will also include food and beverage service for guests who wish to enjoy refreshments in the privacy of their villa.

Accessibility on Great Stirrup Cay

Your ship uses a gangway to embark passengers onto the tender; it’s not as steep incline than gangways at port. Guests using wheelchairs are transferred to a large flat area at the bow of the tender, and they will stay there during the tendering process. From the tender, ramps are positioned for the disembarkation process.

Norwegian Cruise Line reserves a restricted number of wheelchairs on Great Stirrup Cay that have been designed for use on sand.

They are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The wheelchairs are free to hire, and can be picked up at the Tender Pier. The beach wheelchairs are made for use on the sand.

Great Stirrup Cay features a variety of excursions; however, none are wheelchair accessible.

The bar and dining facilities on Great Stirrup Cay are wheelchair accessible.

All of the bathrooms are wheelchair accessible; but, they do not accommodate companions.

She can do steps if they’re not too high and she has a railing to hold onto. She will be so disappointed if she can’t do it. This is the first vacation she’s had in years as she has a handicapped husband who needs round the clock care. A relative of hers has volunteered to stay with him. So she wants to try to do everything. I’ll have to show her what u found & let her decide. Appreciate the info.

We did see passengers in golf carts at GSC; but, it's not like a regular tram service that runs in a loop all day. You probably have to alert Guest Services that you'll need one, well in advance of arriving at GSC. Second the comment about checking the Disabled Cruisers board, they probably have a whole lot more info there.

last time we were there there were definitely trams taking people to the furthest beaches. That was 2 years ago though- maybe that has stopped since the construction has closed down some of that far lagoon area from what I hear.
I didn't see any in February. I'm betting all the construction has a lot to do with it - I think the areas they had trams running is all blocked off and only one walkway to get to the further beaches that I saw. No idea if they'll have any after the trams.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darn. I’m gonna have to really do some research. If there’s no way to get her from one place to another we can’t go. Especially since tendering. If w get there & she can’t do the walk, how long would we have to wait to tender back? Labadee they had wheelchairs from the ship to islands & then trams to go anywhere u wanted to go.

Check to see how many ships are going to be visiting the island when you are there. If there is going to be more than one, then it is going to be VERY crowded and the potential walking distances could be even worse.

When we were there (a couple of weeks ago), there was a long wait on the tender for it to go back to the ship. We got on a tender before 4:00 and waited at least 20 minutes before it left. People on the tender had been waiting for 45 minutes. I talked to someone else who left the island around 1:30 and people were waiting on the tender for an hour.

If you go and decide to go right back to the ship, you shouldn't have to wait long because they want the tenders at the ship in order to bring more people to the island.

We found walking a bit tough on GSC. My husband is color blind and has issues with depth perception, so walking in sand can be difficult for him and there were places away from the main area that had some serious ruts that he had trouble seeing.

If I were you, I'd contact the Access Desk and see if they can help you out/give you some information. We did see sand wheelchairs (a good many of them), but I'm not sure how they were allocated.

Honestly, for mobility issues, GSC is not the private island I'd choose. Harvest Caye was much nicer since there were pathways made out of wood (or something) throughout the island, along with plenty of paved walking paths. Plus, you don't have to tender at Harvest Caye and golf carts/trams are pretty readily available.

Good luck with your planning and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Stay positive!

Is she bringing a regular folding wheelchair like those lightweight ones? You might want to also post this on the Disabled Cruise Travel board of Cruise Critic so maybe someone who has been to GSC and used a sand beach chair can chime in.

Here is a link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Thanks. Didn’t know that forum existed. I’m leaning more into not doing; but friend is gonna be sooo disappointed.

I still think you should contact the Access Desk. I've heard really good reports about their being quite useful in helping people. Many people who cruise have mobility issues- they have to encounter this all the time.

Gonna be there in June. Looking @ videos and liking what I see, but looks like a lot of walking! Are there trams or golf cart things u can use? Person I’m going with can’t walk long distances. In one video I saw a sand wheelchair. Anybody know about them? Sent from my iPad using Forums

Based on your description, you should be fine. You can talk to the ship about using the sand wheelchair which will get you on/off beach and over to the buffet, bathrooms, etc.

Contrary to the post above, there are trams, but I would stay on the main beach which is closer to the tender.

Based on your description, you should be fine. You can talk to the ship about using the sand wheelchair which will get you on/off beach and over to the buffet, bathrooms, etc.

Contrary to the post above, there are trams, but I would stay on the main beach which is closer to the tender.

We were on Breakaway in December and they did not have the trams any longer. We asked about them when we arrived. We had a large cabana and it was quite a walk to get to it.

We were on Breakaway in December and they did not have the trams any longer. We asked about them when we arrived. We had a large cabana and it was quite a walk to get to it.

No trams when we were there a couple of weeks ago, either. We had a small cabana and the walk was long and rough.

Definitely contact the Access Desk and see what can be done. The more information you have and pre-planning you do, the better the day will be.