Zuiderdam-any photos of crows nest/library after remodel?

kevingastreich

The screening room is still there. I didn't see any of the films in there this last cruise, but I did pick up some popcorn once.

The area where the library was is now the "waiting room" for the shore excursions desk and the future cruise consultant. It has some interactive tables with uncomfortable bar stools. I didn't play with the tables so I do not know what they do or are for. All the lovely wood bookshelves have been pulled out. They are replaced with a sculpture-type thing with small boxes for books artfully arranged around it. I counted maybe 50 books, but there could have been more hiding here and there.

I found the Crow's Nest section comfortable, if crowded. The furniture choices, especially the backless sofas seemed odd to me, and did not encourage sitting and reading or linger long to watch the world float by. But the tables & chairs are comfortable and if you can find one, worth it for relaxing and reading.

The screening room is still there. I didn't see any of the films in there this last cruise, but I did pick up some popcorn once.

The area where the library was is now the "waiting room" for the shore excursions desk and the future cruise consultant. It has some interactive tables with uncomfortable bar stools. I didn't play with the tables so I do not know what they do or are for. All the lovely wood bookshelves have been pulled out. They are replaced with a sculpture-type thing with small boxes for books artfully arranged around it. I counted maybe 50 books, but there could have been more hiding here and there.

I found the Crow's Nest section comfortable, if crowded. The furniture choices, especially the backless sofas seemed odd to me, and did not encourage sitting and reading or linger long to watch the world float by. But the tables & chairs are comfortable and if you can find one, worth it for relaxing and reading.

Screening room is unchanged.

I really like the new Crow's nest, much more contemporary . If you can find pictures of the Westerdam after the refit : the Zuiderdam is the same . Library of the Z wasn't much to start with, but has been updated with a lot of new books since our previous cruise in 2016. You just have to look for 'em !

We could find comfortable sitting by re arreanging al the cushions a bit.

• 4 months later...

Very sorry to hear about what sounds like a decimated library. For me, a decent library on a cruise is an essential component of a relaxing cruise, and I've been on a couple of Holland America cruises that had fantastic, well-curated libraries that added to the experience. If the Zuiderdam, which I'll be taking from NYC to Canada in a few weeks, has really stripped away most of the books in favor of what look like a few silly "designer" cubby holes, I may be moving to some other lines (Princess, Celebrity).

On our recent cruise on the Maasdam, one staff member was telling us about some of the changes that will be made when she goes into dry dock. He said that part of the reason they were removing much of the library was the work that is involved when books have to be cleaned during a noro outbreak. He said that it takes multiple staffers working overnight to wipe down every book in the library. Somehow I doubt that this is the only reason they are making this change, but it was an interesting point.

Very sorry to hear about what sounds like a decimated library. For me, a decent library on a cruise is an essential component of a relaxing cruise, and I've been on a couple of Holland America cruises that had fantastic, well-curated libraries that added to the experience. If the Zuiderdam, which I'll be taking from NYC to Canada in a few weeks, has really stripped away most of the books in favor of what look like a few silly "designer" cubby holes, I may be moving to some other lines (Princess, Celebrity).

Unfortunately, they have a limited amount of books now available. I used to count on a ships' library for my reading even though I always brought my own. Now I make sure my kindle is loaded. I used to browse the tabletop books that HAL had. I don't remember seeing many of those last April. And, there are more cubbyhole on the other side of the Crow's Nest away from the Shore Excursion office.

Have heard that HAL and others are looking at e-book possibilities on board. Either BYO e-reader or possibly on board e-reader rentals with book access included.

I personally feel the same about the library books as I feel about inflight magazines on a plane. Can't help but think about someone checking out books, contracting GI, and "sitting" in their cabin during quarantine reading the books. I can sanitize an e-reader or tablet.