Secrets of Half Moon Cay

Sailaways_

so, I've read lots about half moon cay's waters and cabanas, and I get the impression it's a pretty standard private island beach day. but, I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything! are there any secrets of half moon cay that visitors usually miss? for example, princess cays has the graves if you're into exploring, and the less crowded beach/bbq area on the other side of the dock. does half moon cay have anything like that? I'm not expecting a hidden city or anything ;), but any tips would be helpful. :)

also, while I'm on the topic, how's the BBQ? I've heard it's not that great, unfortunately. what do they typically serve?

Edited by Sailaways_

Have been to Half Moon 3 times sort of - explanation

1st time - spent time on the island but it was December and the water was cold - I am no sissy but did not mess iwth the water

2nd time - January - rained and the wind blew- the only ones who spent the entire day on the beach were the ones with the prepaid expensive cabanas

3rd time - January - not pleasant weather and the ship did not dock- could not get employees from other island to take care of food and concession so we sailed right on by - oh yeah it was cold for islands that day - high of 60

Food - have had twice - it is fine - not gourmet but well prepared for a beach picnic

I am guessing that your experience depends on the time of year you will be there. It seems to be quite large and lots of area in which to roam - don't know if this helps but I figure when it is on my port list I expect nothing and then can be surprised if we end up there and the weather is good

Nov 08 - hot, hot, hot and sunny.

Nov 09 - cloudy, cool and bit of rain drops

BBQ --- Nov 08, not so great. Nov 09 better.

massive amount of people when it starts. go about 20-30 mins later.

plenty of food and seating area so no worries.

basic bbq food: burger, hot dog, fish, ribs, various salads, chips.

burger was decent and ribs weren't bad. basic bbq food. workers cooking for over 1,000 people or even 1,500. quantity over quality. .

the brownies are amazing. chocolate chip cookie was fairly good also.

drinks being sold, but there is free water and I think ice tea.

sorry, no info on secret hidding places. we stuck around the beach area since we had 4 toddlers with us. did find a nice sandy park area with pirate ships, swings etc. we'll return there Dec 10.

interested in hearing what others have found.

DH and I thought the BBQ was pretty good - it's a picnic after all. Ribs, steak, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, potato salad, cole slaw, 3 bean salad, fruit, chips, etc. We were full so we didn't even look for dessert.

We found a hammock to lie in facing that gorgeous turquoise water and just relaxed for a while before dinner. Once we managed to get into it, that is. It's hard to coordinate moves when you're giggling.

For pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/sets/72157623599528928/detail/?page=12

Scroll down about 2/3's of the way to find the start of the HMC shots.

HMC has been voted "best private island" a number of times a number on a number of cruise related websites. The only other private island I've personally visited was RCCL Coco Cay, and - wow! - there's no comparison.

Has your reading included the HMC cabanas? They're the same idea as the Princess bungalows...but larger, with air conditioning, private shower, included snorkel equipment. They sell out fast online, and the price keeps going up and up....I think it's now $299 for up to 4 people, and you can add more people for an extra charge. There's also one large Oasis for big parties - most people have 15 - 25 when they book.

I hate beaches, but I loved my day on HMC in a cabana. YMMV.

Here are a couple threads that discuss pros/cons of cabanas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1117077

(thread has some cabana pictures linked)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1085253

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1125719

I'm sorry, did I read that right -- "graves"? Did you mean "groves"? Or are there really graves on Princess Cay? Talk about an unusual shore excursion...

I don't know about Princess Cay, but RCCL Labadee does have a cemetery. :eek:

One of the best sites that I found endearing on the island was the chapel. Beautiful views from front door and straight through to the ship, and a serene place for thought. Even weddings! I found the following link on Google about having a private wedding.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://royalwed.com/img/half-moon-cay-chapel.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.royalwed.com/cruiseship/land/half-moon-cay&usg=__ORUjiqC5OdQ4ZPPT9FDSZfemmDw=&h=375&w=500&sz=62&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=NEAN-Mq9ubZLsM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHalf%2BMoon%2BCay%2Bchurch%2Bchapel%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4GGLF_en___US309%26tbs%3Disch:1

Eurodam2010169.jpg

Eurodam2010168.jpg

This is not my photo

Chapel.jpg

We found a hammock to lie in facing that gorgeous turquoise water and just relaxed for a while before dinner. Once we managed to get into it, that is. It's hard to coordinate moves when you're giggling.

Agree! Hammocks offer great relaxation and views.

Eurodam2010173.jpg

Actually there are three hidden treasures on the island if you like geocaching. Bring your GPS along and see if you can find any of the hidden caches in the links below. I haven't been able to find them because both of my cruises that went there, we were unable to use the tenders because of wind and high seas. Someday I hope to do it though.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7b06b922-7828-4bd4-a87c-f86fb473a1ad

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=73015ff3-7acf-42bc-b55b-473baf316b74

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=158dab19-80e8-4683-a15a-0d85abbf57a8

I've just found out that there will be two ships so far in HMC when we are there, so that is over 4000 if they all get off the ship...Question when do they start to sell the cabanas...I've heard 90 days before you sail? 15 cabanas for over 4000, wow the will sell out fast..and that is also a lot of people to cook for.

Is there a restaurant on the island as well or is the BBQ it?

Thanks

I've just found out that there will be two ships so far in HMC when we are there, so that is over 4000 if they all get off the ship...Question when do they start to sell the cabanas...I've heard 90 days before you sail? 15 cabanas for over 4000, wow the will sell out fast..and that is also a lot of people to cook for.

Thanks

No restaurant. BBQ area only. Large pavilion area with covered picnic tables away from the cooking area. Keep checking your check-in locale on HAL, it will open up usually 90 days out but many times before. If you can't get a cabana, try for the clamshell lounges for sun protection on the beach. HMC is our favorite for do nothing beach relaxation. Gorgeous sand. Clear water.

As Woody said, no restaurant. But if you do snag that cabana, get butler service. Then you have a fantastic meal served to you by Pinnacle Grill staff. Right there at your cabana. No need to even go near the bbq.

Or! Even better. Get a crowd and rent the Oasis, Grand Cabana. The bbq food is prepared and served right there by your very own chef. Decadent.

Here are two hints from me:)

Walk w-a-y down the beach before you choose a hammock or chair. A lot less crowded.

Get your bar-b-que lunch as soon as the service begins. Take your plate directly to the Bell Bar (I adore that place!) Order a beer and appreciate the spot you are in. There's often live music there, too.

As Woody said, no restaurant. But if you do snag that cabana, get butler service. Then you have a fantastic meal served to you by Pinnacle Grill staff. Right there at your cabana. No need to even go near the bbq.

Or! Even better. Get a crowd and rent the Oasis, Grand Cabana. The bbq food is prepared and served right there by your very own chef. Decadent.

Ok that sounds like my kinda day a little out of the budget but I'll start saving now...:D

Here are two hints from me:)

Walk w-a-y down the beach before you choose a hammock or chair. A lot less crowded.

Get your bar-b-que lunch as soon as the service begins. Take your plate directly to the Bell Bar (I adore that place!) Order a beer and appreciate the spot you are in. There's often live music there, too.

If all else fails this will work..and sounds beautiful..:D

The one piece of advice that I can give you is just what May 4stated. When you arrive at the beach area head all the way down to the very end!!

I made the mistake on my first visit to stop right where everyone arrives at. Within the hour,it was packed!

The next time, I walked all the way down to the last of the clamshell (I rented one for the day) and even with two ships, it was very peaceful with the sounds of water mostly and bits of conversation. Most people will stop at the first portion and it make the beach on this part very crowded. But by walking down the beach an additional 10 minutes, the people are fewer.

Cruisin Suzin if you want a cabana, check the HAL site of a daily basis. While normally the cabanas are available 90 days out, it can vary. With two ships, they will go fast!!

If not, rent a clamshell.

Also, walk the paved trails. Alot of people don't and the scenery is nice. I enjoy the many photo ops on the trail.

The best things about Half Moon Cay is it's a perfect beach day. The sand is soft and white, the water is the clearest blue that you ever will see, and the best part is no vendors hawking items every few minutes!!

thanks everyone for the hints and tips! I have a few specific replies...

@sparky-elpaso - thanks for the pics! there's a lot of good pics of the island, thanks for sharing.

@fann1sh - it's too late to book a cabana (we leave sunday), and that price seems awfully high to me. I have never been impressed with the princess cays cabanas for the price either, so that's my prejudice I guess. the grand cabana does look very impressive if you have a large enough group, however!

@Aruba - yes, there are graves on princess cays, two to be exact. apparently, they are graves of slaves that used to live on eleuthra. check out this thread, it explains it and has pics of the graves: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269311&highlight=mystery

@cruisinmaniac - thank you! that's exactly what I was thinking of. the chapel looks adorable, and I love the hammock pic. I will definitely check it out on my visit! :)

@y's owl - I wish I knew how to geocache! that looks really cool. good luck to you on your next geocaching adventure on HMC.

@may4 & airlink diva - great tips! it sounds very similar to what I do on princess cays, minus the bar part, lol. :o I really enjoyed exploring the paved & non-paved trails there, so I will make sure to do the same on HMC. I love a good photo-op of a hidden spot!

we've been there over 2 dozen times over the years... a super great place.. seems like the only people who don't appreciate this island are the fuddie-duddies... they'd complain about anything... just chill out .. relax.. take a walk... or go fishing like I do.. just enjoy the beauty of it..

I've been to HMC twice and never yet made it to the BBQ! Both trips we've had the Violet Cabana (furthest one down - hardly anyone goes down that far so it's very peaceful down there) and found that with the snacks provided there was really no need to go eat a full meal.

We were just there for the first time and absolutely loved it!! Half Moon Cay was a highlight for us. The BBQ was great considering how many were being fed at once. I loved the idea of going to the Bell Bar...wonderful idea!

My only disappointment was that as we did not book excursions until on board the ship there was no room in the glass bottom boat Eco Lagoon tour ( hour and a half) that we wanted. We chose the 45 minute one which ended up being cancelled due to the weather. In the end though we ended up going on the Stingray visit and it was very cool!

We didn't have the money for Cabannas but still did not feel any loss due to this. There are lots and lots of chairs up and down the beach. The beach was beautiful and the waves fantastic to jump around in! Have fun!

:cool: HMC is a beach paradise. The water is the kind of blue we dream of and the sand is perfect for running or taking a slow walk with {or away from} DW. The cabanas are pricey but think about renting a half shell. By the time you hit HMC you will be sunburned and shade is at a premium. The glass bottom boat is also great. Good history of the island and plenty of tropical fish and reefs to observe. Bring your own earplugs.

On the BBQ the less said the better. Those that like burnt hamburgers wll be pleased. Can spend 15 minutes on line for iced tea. Not a bad idea to tender back abroad for lunch.