Live from the Odyssey on our way to Sydney

redheadednancy

Well, have several emails asking me about the journey and rather than write individually I am going to post a little along the way. However, I will never keep up with Seabourntraveller and India. That report is so interesting and I'm not going to type the menus or day's events, but might post a few comments and hope that maybe Michigandavid or some of the others that are on this cruise will add to this thread.

We boarded yesterday, not at all as efficient as the Quest out of Malaga we did in November but not too bad. We arrived about 11:45 at the terminal to join a crowd outside waiting to get in. The weather was gorgeous, about 83 so it was not a hardship to be outside but someone had flown in early in the morning and had been sitting outside since 9:30. They would not let us board until 12:30. Of course by then there was a long line to get in and register. We did get through pretty quickly once in and headed to the Colonnade for lunch. Beautiful sitting outside and the food was excellent. Had a lemon sole that was so flavorful. Crew was friendly as usual and Bose in the Colonnade said to say hi to Marja!!

Lifeboat drill was more efficient that usual. Not only did we not have to go to the stations, just the dining room; for the first time did not have to bring the vests, just ID card. It was quick and painless and we went to the sailaway on deck 8. CC met on port side to get acquainted complete with Michigan David's very stylish name tags. We missed a few. Ship left around 45 minutes late. We heard they were waiting for a few couples. Went to dinner at the Patio Grill but it was not a nigerian shrimp night. The sea bass was delicious though.

We were tired and went to bed early but had a miserable night. Although the temperature was warm we really were moving and the creaking on the ship drove me crazy...it was in the room and very loud. My husband is a solid sleeper and it didn't bother him at all but I couldn't sleep. At 6:00 called to tell about it and see what could be done. The housekeeper, Christine, came down and said she would send someone. I went to Seabourn Square, had a double expresso and a croissant and was in a little better mood. Headed for the pool. It was cold 70F but nice after you got in. I am sure it is warmed up by now.

When I got back to room nice "fix it" person had been there and put "shims" in behind pictures and in the top by the ceiling and guest services. called to see if everything was okay. I appreciated that but said I would let them know after this night's sleep. I found out from another cruise critic person who told me this problem is random from floor to floor and in different areas on different floors and at various speeds. No rhyme nor reason, I guess. Obviously there are still vibration problems on the Odyssey, it also seems like they are used to fixing them for people, so I am optimistic ours are fixed.

Trivia was fun. We enjoyed the nice large group and of course Nick Hale.

I think our team is in the top third. Tonight is formal night but now that my computer is set up and I have reported in, going to take a nap! More later.

Nancy

Thanks for the update. Look forward to hearing who, from the crew, is onboard. Also, who is working the Patio Grill. Is Jerry there? Or Douglas?

Hope you have a great cruise and will send you emails about Sydney as promised.

>"I'm not going to type the menus or day's events"

No need to, they are all pretty standard! <g>

Can't wait to hear more later on!

Hello redheadednacy!

Thank you for starting a Live from the Odyssey...I will be following you daily. I hope you have a great cruise. We are on our way to Galle, Sri Lanka and have left India last night for good.

Oh and to answer about typing the menus daily...the ONLY reason I did it is for any "newbies" out there that would not have a clue what they serve on Seabourn....it's not as if I am trying to stretch out my "unlimited" internet package!...LOL

SeabournT,

I think it's wonderful that you have taken the time and effort that you have included the menus and activities. My mention was that since you did it so well, we can now refer newbies to your blog! I have had 6 recent weeks on Seabourn and smile when I see the menu, remembering my choices (never easy). Thank you! Thank you!!

Good to hear you are safely aboard, Nancy. Keep us posted on the creaking in the suite - I do hope that whatever gets done does the trick, though surely all the suites they know can be affected should already have the shims fitted?

Look forward to hearing how many are on board, who the Officers etc. are, and how good the service is. There have been one or two mixed reports recently - it sounds as if it depends on how large a proportion of new staff there are. Who is your Maitre d'? And how about the Nigerian shrimp? Do hope that is on plenty of times.

Nancy

A 'thousand "thank you's' for your Odyssey travel log ~for your time, efforts and expense~ we all will certainly enjoy reading your reports!:D Makes our CC board so much more fun and interesting!

If your Master, Capt. Dexter or Capt. Larson?

Please, if you have a minute, tell Nick Hale, "The Texas Cowgirl sends a big 'ole howdy and a hug ~" He is truly one of Seabourn's favorite team members! I remember fondly, such wonderful times with Nick on the "Lit Sisters.

Thanks again ~smooth seas!

Martita B.

Our room is now delightful. I got a great night's sleep. We ate last night with THeresa the Chief Purser. Can't pronounce her last name but will record the whole staff when I get my Book. She was lovely and personable and lives in England five miles from the Scottish border. Our table was lovely...you never know when you accept an invitation but we had such fun that we all wanted to meet tonight and do it again! We had Julian (who remembered me from the Quest cruise. He set up the computer for me. He overseas Seabourn Square). MichiganDavid and his wife Bonnie and two couples that met on the ship and travel together. They were old Seabournites with ten cruises a piece. Faye and Bob and Brian and Glenda (Aussies). Someone who reads this may know them. I think they are doing Dubai to Venice in April. If my mind fails me on some of these details it is because of the lovely wine and food. It was goat cheese souffle night and broiled marinated lobster tail for me. Yummy. We almost didn't make it to see the card magician Markk Haslam. He has been on other ships. Our table was last to leave the dining room. He was amazing.

Last night was formal with the Captain's reception that started late because of a stabilizer that got stuck and Captain Dexter was called to the bridge. It was a minor thing and fixed quickly but it shortened our cocktail time in the Club. He did a nice job of introducing everyone.

I didn't go to either of the enrichment lectures yesterday but heard they were good. "How the West was Won..by Sea" with maritime historian Bruce Linder and "The two Leonardos; and Neither of them Dicaprio" with Bulent Atalay

We have been studying the excursions and and trying to figure out which ones to take. Most in the $200 to $300 range but some interesting experiences. The restaurant Altitude was recommended to us in Sydney for the views and food. I think it is hard to get a reservation. Only 16 tables. We are checking that out. We did sign up for the Taieri Gorge Railway tour that you board in Port Chalmers and go through Dunedin. Everyone says that is great ($224). There are so many I want to take!!

Nick Messina is in the Observation Bar and Guitarist Gary T'to in club. Met Rebecca our social hostess last night.

It is warm and we had breakfast out on the verrandah, a little cloudy but sun peeking through. I am going to go to the pool and then to Chef Ragid's cooking demo at 11 before trivia. We had fun yesterday. I think there are 12 teams and everyone had a good attitude. The bonus question was what did Tom Cruise, Cher, George Washington, John Lennon and (can't remember the fourth one, maybe Leonardo DiCaprio) have in common. Only one team got it...all were dyslexic!!!! On the reverse side everyone knew who wrote Pride and Prejudice!! Captain Dexter comes down to do round II and he has questions on destinations or the ship or where we have been..so we better read our Herald! No one knew exact tonnage of the Odyssey!!

We will see land on Jan 12 when we dock in Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia. We have found a tour with another couple we are going to share and see the island. the next island is Atuona, Hiva Oa. This is funny to me. Seabourn offers NO tours on either island, and there are none to be found on Atuona. I am curious as to why we are stopping there but maybe it is for beautiful water and views. I am sure it all be clear to me eventually.

Have to head to pool and Seabourn Square for my morning treats!! I will try to give a report on wines tonight. I have had the Robert Mondavi chardonnay and the Sirius Bourdeau. Have tasted a few others. They are fine and what we have now come to expect. Yesterday I had my ginger beer as there were a few white caps and I felt it. Today it is smooth!

Hello redheadednacy!

Thank you for starting a Live from the Odyssey...I will be following you daily. I hope you have a great cruise. We are on our way to Galle, Sri Lanka and have left India last night for good.

Oh and to answer about typing the menus daily...the ONLY reason I did it is for any "newbies" out there that would not have a clue what they serve on Seabourn....it's not as if I am trying to stretch out my "unlimited" internet package!...LOL

I loved reading them, I just didn't want to type that much!! I'm already vocal enough in my writing. Your tales of India were just great....if not a little scary at times. One couple at our table last night said they had a lovely bus that took them to the Taj Mahal but exclaimed like you over the narrow roads and scary rides and the heat!!

hi,

We are looking at booking the Sydney to Auckland cruise next year and I was wondering if the right side or left side of the boat is better?

thanks

We're not sure, we are on port side going South and we have sunny mornings and that is nice. Not sure what is best for Sydney to Auckland??? Maybe someone else will know.

Hope your trip is super---we will enjoy your postings

Wish we were there to do Trivia with you and Bob---have some popcorn for me--:)

-Barry

I had lots of popcorn for you! And I'm into the gingerbeer. We need your support on the team, but we are tied for second today as we got the bonus question. Who was first man to fly in Australia. We got it and one other team. Houdini!!

Nancy

Thanks for the update. Look forward to hearing who, from the crew, is onboard. Also, who is working the Patio Grill. Is Jerry there? Or Douglas?

Hope you have a great cruise and will send you emails about Sydney as promised.

Have only been to patio grill one night and no nigerian shrimp. Haven't seen it yet but it is early. I was disappointed in pizza. It seems since I had it (Jerry's) pizza originally it keeps getting thicker and thicker. I couldn't resist the very thin stuff but I can easily pass on this. It's not that it is bad, it's not, but the thin, thin stuff was so outstanding! I'll check out the staff next time we go there.

Good to hear you are safely aboard, Nancy. Keep us posted on the creaking in the suite - I do hope that whatever gets done does the trick, though surely all the suites they know can be affected should already have the shims fitted?

Look forward to hearing how many are on board, who the Officers etc. are, and how good the service is. There have been one or two mixed reports recently - it sounds as if it depends on how large a proportion of new staff there are. Who is your Maitre d'? And how about the Nigerian shrimp? Do hope that is on plenty of times.

Yes, shims worked. Had a great night sleep. I think this creaking is really a variable thing and I don't think everyone isi bothered. My husband sleeps though everything and he never noticed and that might be true for other people but I am a light sleeper. The ship is FULL, no suites available and from what I hear, it has been sold out for quite a while. More on staff and service later.

Have only been to patio grill one night and no nigerian shrimp. Haven't seen it yet but it is early. I was disappointed in pizza. It seems since I had it (Jerry's) pizza originally it keeps getting thicker and thicker. I couldn't resist the very thin stuff but I can easily pass on this. It's not that it is bad, it's not, but the thin, thin stuff was so outstanding! I'll check out the staff next time we go there.

Jerry was on Quest last June and his pizza was thin and good as ever. I was told that he actually learned to make pizza working in Naples. Anyway, if the pizza is thick it probably isn't Jerry which may save me some pounds as I will eat less of it.

Nancy send over all the Seabass you have on the Odyssey!

We have had nothing but Nigerian Shrimp on the Legend EVERY NIGHT they open the Sky Grill for Dinner for the past 38 days!:(

Archived