Practical wardrobe colour scheme?

Kinkacruiser

I've been developing a cruise wardrobe over the years and can see that I have a lot of black and white. I think it's easy to work with, as you can add splashes of colour with tops and accessories.

I'd be interested to hear about your colour scheme/s when packing for cruises.

What do you base your choice on? (eg personal colouring, existing shoes, accessories).

I love the look of a black and white wardrobe, but I'm a "Fall" so I've built a cruise wardrobe based around the warm tans, creams, beiges, melons and greens that work best for my coloring.

I used to have a terrible time packing because I had tons of tops, shorts, capris, etc., in a million different colors and each one only matched up with one or two other items. What a fashion mess!

I never have that problem now because every item I pack matched perfectly with other items in my suitcase! I stay away from prints and patterns and choose instead to use accessories to add a splash of color...

I stay away from prints and patterns and choose instead to use accessories to add a splash of color...

I usually pack solid bottoms and solid sweaters. Almost always pack patterned shirts so I can leave the bib at home.:p

For summer clothes, I take a blue, green, tan, and white combination of things that mix and match. For cooler weather, I take black, brown, tan and ivory, and play with accessories to keep it interesting.

I lay everything out on the bed before I pack, and if anything only goes with one thing it goes back in the closet.

For summer clothes, I take a blue, green, tan, and white combination of things that mix and match. For cooler weather, I take black, brown, tan and ivory, and play with accessories to keep it interesting.

I lay everything out on the bed before I pack, and if anything only goes with one thing it goes back in the closet.

I also often go with black-and-whites plus a tan and some bright colors (hot pink, turquoise, purple). Of course a cruise is also the time to wear all the bold and sparkly (sequined) things that are not for your everyday wear, so be brave and spontaneous - you'll blend right in!

I also lay everything out on the bed before packing as I want each bottom to have at least three tops. I also bring a pair or two of black shoes, silver shoes, gold shoes, and maybe a white pair, all of them with a matching evening bag or clutch.:)

I'm in the process of building my cruise wardrobe. I am also using a dark and a light neutral, but my neutrals are chocolate brown and tan based on my EARTH/AUTUMN coloring. These for pants, shorts, skirt. I have mostly solid colored tops. A few prints to spice things up.

Sticking with the EARTH palette is challenging for a Spring cruise...I'm finding that my colors are mostly coral, yellow, and green.

Black pants can be hot, but I am a spiller & this way I can take just 1 pair of black capris, 1 pr. black shorts & 1 pair of dressy capris for the whole week.

Tops I figure anything goes w/ black, so a couple very casual tees, a couple of nicer ones & a couple of very dressy ones--we change clothes so many times a day on a cruise, but I do like a top for each day plus the dressy ones (again a spiller!) Suit & cover up; pool flip flops, dressier flip flops & dress shoes (all in black:)) Good to go! Honestly, I think I could do a week in a carry on!

(But I do love to bring a cocktail dress/outfit for every night of the week...you can see one in the photo; SO we usually check one bag!)

black bottoms for the most part..purples and reds. all mixed w/blk, silver-gray, all red, all purple, all blk..H'ween too!!! limit my shoe and bags, but I can take all the jewelry I want, as i make so much of it.

Now have to settle the day wear, and 4 days in Barcelona. really will limit those. some will mix w/evening also, and I get free laundry!

I love black & white, but black absorbs heat, so I try to minimize the black in my wardrobe when travelling to warmer places. Tan or khaki is great for many, but

I tend to stick with blues and greens in different tones and shades. So denim, turquoise, teal, steel blue, navy blue, jade, malachite, aqua, etc; I like tops in fun prints and solid shorts & skorts. I am most comfortable in Merrell sandals and they come in neutrals and some fun colors in certain styles.

Evening is where the LBD (little black dress) comes in :)

p.s. I'm a spiller too! That's why I like pattered tops...........and Shout Wipes!! :D

black bottoms for the most part..purples and reds. all mixed w/blk, silver-gray, all red, all purple, all blk..H'ween too!!! limit my shoe and bags, but I can take all the jewelry I want, as i make so much of it.

Now have to settle the day wear, and 4 days in Barcelona. really will limit those. some will mix w/evening also, and I get free laundry!

Sounds like we will be cruising at the same time. We are leaving out of Barcelona for a 13 day TA on the 30th and i seem to have clothes everywhere trying to decide.

Joy

I've been developing a cruise wardrobe over the years and can see that I have a lot of black and white. I think it's easy to work with, as you can add splashes of colour with tops and accessories.

I'd be interested to hear about your colour scheme/s when packing for cruises.

What do you base your choice on? (eg personal colouring, existing shoes, accessories).

You mean colors matter. I did not know that nor do I care. I just pull out anything that is clean and throw it on the bed. Then my wife kicks me out of the room and picks out cloths that she thinks I should wear. Makes it really easy for me to pack.

DON

Archived