Copy of birth certificates

Pattyjo9951

Leaving tomorrow and a friend can’t get into their safe to get their birth certificates? She has copies of the original certificate. Will this work? This is a carnival cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope, they won't take a copy. Try to get that safe open, good luck hope everything works out .

Nope, they won't take a copy. Try to get that safe open, good luck hope everything works out .
That is not correct. There have been a few people on here that have just used a copy of their birth certificate.

It all depends on who she gets when you check In.

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

No passport. Carnivals website states you can have a copy. Hopefully it will be ok if they can get the safe open.

While it is best to bring the original if you can a copy will suffice. The DHS regulations state that a passenger may bring an "original or copy" of the birth certificate. To put the debate to rest when we sailed on Pride in 2012 I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate to enter the terminal, at check in, and to CBP when the cruise was over. No one batted an eye.

While it is best to bring the original if you can a copy will suffice. The DHS regulations state that a passenger may bring an "original or copy" of the birth certificate. To put the debate to rest when we sailed on Pride in 2012 I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate to enter the terminal, at check in, and to CBP when the cruise was over. No one batted an eye.

Unless the person clearing you says no and declines to board you, then you have a problem. Even if the port personal is wrong that doesn't help when the ship sails without you. Don't take changes. A locked safe is not a reason not to get inside it. Just because something work years ago or with one agent does not mean it will work with the next.

The rules are clear....a copy is sufficient.

Traveling with a Birth Certificate and Photo Identification

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

The rules are clear....a copy is sufficient.

So you are saying the agents always follow the rules? That never does anyone read the rules different or change them? If you are so sure why don't you guarantee the OP will not have a issue by backing up any loss with your money?

I'm sorry but to many times when the rules are crystal clear have I seen them not followed. You want to travel with a copy of a birth certificate great go for it, I would never risk the downside of that choice.

So you are saying the agents always follow the rules? That never does anyone read the rules different or change them? If you are so sure why don't you guarantee the OP will not have a issue by backing up any loss with your money?

I'm sorry but to many times when the rules are crystal clear have I seen them not followed. You want to travel with a copy of a birth certificate great go for it, I would never risk the downside of that choice.

They have followed the rules 100% in every encounter I or anyone I know has had which includes one family member with dozens of trips on a copy. With such an absurd hard line view I'm sure you can post some independently verifiable examples of these boarding denials.

They have followed the rules 100% in every encounter I or anyone I know has had which includes one family member with dozens of trips on a copy. With such an absurd hard line view I'm sure you can post some independently verifiable examples of these boarding denials.

I have made the statement believe it, don't believe it do whatever you want if you think it is false prove it false. Or don't as I already said I would never travel on a copy but you are free to do so.

Unless the person clearing you says no and declines to board you, then you have a problem. Even if the port personal is wrong that doesn't help when the ship sails without you. Don't take changes. A locked safe is not a reason not to get inside it. Just because something work years ago or with one agent does not mean it will work with the next.

Possibly, but that person saying no does have a supervisor. It is hard to believe that any of them could get it wrong when it is listed right on their website. In any event if it's the only thing the OP's friend has I will say I'd rather show up with the copy then with nothing at all.

It can be more of a hassle with the copy. Arrive early so you will have enough time to work it out. Some agents won't even know it's a copy. The ones that do will know where to take you to work it out. It will probably be fine, make sure you have all other documentation.

How much would it cost to have the safe opened? You can probably figure out how to from YouTube.

I have made the statement believe it, don't believe it do whatever you want if you think it is false prove it false. Or don't as I already said I would never travel on a copy but you are free to do so.

Okay....that is what I thought. No examples.

.....and I did prove it false along with another person on this very thread....personal knowledge of someone traveling with a copy.

Not to get in the middle of this but I would never travel with a copy.

Flipside, I know people who sailed after arriving at the port with no birth certificate. They had someone fax a copy. I have seen some that show up without anything and couldn't sail, becauset hey were unable to provide anything.

Fyi, a copy of a passport will not suffice, if you slip by with that (a miracle) you will have issues when you get back and carnival could be fined.

Not to get in the middle of this but I would never travel with a copy.

Flipside, I know people who sailed after arriving at the port with no birth certificate. They had someone fax a copy. I have seen some that show up without anything and couldn't sail, becauset hey were unable to provide anything.

Fyi, a copy of a passport will not suffice, if you slip by with that (a miracle) you will have issues when you get back and carnival could be fined.

That's all well and good, but if all you had was a copy are you saying you would forfeit your cruise rather than go with the copy? Sometimes things do happen and we are put in a position where we have to go with something less than what we planned on (I have read a couple of stories of folks losing their passport on the way to the port or forgetting it at home and as you say since they were able to have a copy of their birth certificate faxed they were still allowed to cruise.)

Can someone please clarify what is meant by “copy”. Are we talking a photocopy made on a copier, or an official stamped copy from an office of vital statistics (as opposed to the one issued at birth). These two definitions of “copy” are very different. It sounds like the cruise line is talking official copy as they refer you to how to obtain one. I would hate for someone to think a photocopy is okay if it’s not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will never see the "original" of your birth certificate. That is held by the state in which you were born. The best you will ever see is a certified copy which you get by ordering through VitalChek or a similar service.

Now the term "original" that Carnival refers to would be the actual document you receive through the service you ordered it through. And the term "copy" would mean that you used a photocopy machine to make a facsimile of the "original".

Either one, Carnival says will be acceptable.

Have a GREAT cruise!

This is one of those cases where one cruises per CC opinions - probably written by those with no first hand experience or you cruise per Carnival written policies and facts from those of us that have done it.

Pretty easy choice for me. I have used a photocopy (as others have). No problem, no supervisor needed, no additional time spent - none of the drama presented in this thread.

READ THE CARNIVAL WEBSITE. They are very clear.

straight from Carnival website:

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

straight from Carnival website:

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

And I would advise OP to get there a little earlier, have a print out of the rules with them and it should be fine.

Curious how they have a copy when the original was inside and why they would not call the safe manufacturer or a locksmith. I mean sooner or later they need to get in to the safe...

Can someone please clarify what is meant by “copy”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A simple copy. They go as far to say it does not have to be notarized or certified to further clarify that.

That does seem clear enough. It also seems to conflict with the Customs and Border Patrol FAQ.

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services."

No mention of photocopies. A "certified copy" is not a photocopy.

edit: I just emailed the CBP. My question will be answered within 14 days :)

Edited by sft429