Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Thanks Sharon, I appreciate you efforts tp help. I am going to explore the Miami area before I give up and bite the bullet. I have heard FLL would be more reasonable though.

Edited by BiXLL

Thanks Sharon, I appreciate you efforts tp help. I am going to explore the Miami area before I give up and bite the bullet. I have heard FLL would be more reasonable though.

You need to also factor in transportation...SAS shuttles and others offer very reasonable prebooked transportation to Port Miami in the morning from FLL airport area hotels. If you take a taxi from FLL to a Miami hotel it will cost you at least $80.

Well, I spent another half-day or so this past weekend trying to decide whether to try an Express deal on Priceline (I thought it was probably Pier 66) or something on Hotwire, and decided I was just tired of the work involved in all this, so I booked the Hyatt Place through Valuetrips. Received the confirmation last night.

At least I know what to expect, and all the time and effort involved trying to find something a little better at a reasonable price just wasn't worth it. I have better things to do with my time than spend it agonizing over blind hotel bookings! :p

My stepdaughter and I will be taking an overnight flight for our RCLL Liberty of the Seas cruise departing 2/14. We arrive FLL at 7:25am.

Here are my questions:

1. After claiming our luggage, should we head straight to the port to drop off our luggage?

2. How early will they begin accepting luggage at the port?

3. Are there any restaurants within walking distance of the port to grab breakfast and to kill time prior to embarkation?

In other words, what do you suggest we do regarding being at the airport with luggage at 8am with 3 hours to kill prior to embarkation?

TIA!!!

My stepdaughter and I will be taking an overnight flight for our RCLL Liberty of the Seas cruise departing 2/14. We arrive FLL at 7:25am.

Here are my questions:

1. After claiming our luggage, should we head straight to the port to drop off our luggage?

2. How early will they begin accepting luggage at the port?

3. Are there any restaurants within walking distance of the port to grab breakfast and to kill time prior to embarkation?

In other words, what do you suggest we do regarding being at the airport with luggage at 8am with 3 hours to kill prior to embarkation?

TIA!!!

I'm not sure what time the port begins accepting luggage, but I understand they start early. There are no restaurants within walking distance to the RCCL terminal. You could take a taxi to Lester's Diner, eat breakfast, then take another taxi to the port after 10. Boarding will start around 11 if all goes well. This might cost about $10 more than going straight to the port, which is what I call "buying time".:D

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks for the "buying time" advice :)

Does FLL have restaurants outside security after claiming luggage?

If not, we will probably just grab a cab to a restaurant then to the port after.

Depends on which terminal you're arriving at. IIRC, terminal 3 has a number of places pre-security; the other terminals have a few 'kiosk' type places to grab & go.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Maps/Pages/Overview.aspx

Thanks for the "buying time" advice :)

Does FLL have restaurants outside security after claiming luggage?

If not, we will probably just grab a cab to a restaurant then to the port after.

There is a Chilis with tables in Terminal 3 that might serve breakfast. If you are not in that terminal just walk over.

Question royalcruz - staying one or 2 nights before our cruise in Jan. Trying to decide between 3 hotels. Which one of these hotels would you prefer? 1. Embassy Suites on 17th St. 2. Gallery One on Sunrise Blvd or 3. Hampton Inn on SW 12th Ave. Will not have a car, so need restaurants, wine shopping and area with something to do near by. Which one do you think we would enjoy the best and why? Know a lot to ask, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Question royalcruz - staying one or 2 nights before our cruise in Jan. Trying to decide between 3 hotels. Which one of these hotels would you prefer? 1. Embassy Suites on 17th St. 2. Gallery One on Sunrise Blvd or 3. Hampton Inn on SW 12th Ave. Will not have a car, so need restaurants, wine shopping and area with something to do near by. Which one do you think we would enjoy the best and why? Know a lot to ask, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Embassy Suites is right by the port and has lots of restaurants and wine/liquor stores. That's a good choice.

Gallery One is in a nice neighborhood and has several good restaurants, nice mall, decent wine selection at Publix, and the beach a couple of blocks away. That's a good choice too. Sometimes they are on LastMinuteTravel. Breakfast is not included, but there is a nice Starbucks across the street, as well as a French bakery.

The Hampton is in a low/mid income neighborhood, but you will find liquor, fast food, grocery, sports bar/grill, German restaurant and a few other things, mostly in one shopping center. It will meet your basic needs but it wouldn't be my choice at all.

Edited by royalcruz

Embassy Suites is right by the port and has lots of restaurants and wine/liquor stores. That's a good choice.

Gallery One is in a nice neighborhood and has several good restaurants, nice mall, decent wine selection at Publix, and the beach a couple of blocks away. That's a good choice too. Sometimes they are on LastMinuteTravel. Breakfast is not included, but there is a nice Starbucks across the street, as well as a French bakery.

The Hampton is in a low/mid income neighborhood, but you will find liquor, fast food, grocery, sports bar/grill, German restaurant and a few other things, mostly in one shopping center. It will meet your basic needs but it wouldn't be my choice at all.

Thank you. The Gallery One is cheaper but DH is leaning towards the Embassy Suites. Think with the happy hour and free breakfast plus taxis probably won't cost as much, we will come out ahead with the ES.

We're staying at the Cocobelle because we want to spend the afternoon on the beach the day before departure and we won't have a car, so want to be within walking distance. Any recent reviews/thoughts on the hotel?

More importantly, any recommendations for restaurants in the area within walking distance (we're willing to walk a fair distance)?

We're staying at the Cocobelle because we want to spend the afternoon on the beach the day before departure and we won't have a car' date=' so want to be within walking distance. Any recent reviews/thoughts on the hotel?

More importantly, any recommendations for restaurants in the area within walking distance (we're willing to walk a fair distance)?[/quote']

There are not a lot of restaurants in the immediate area. Primanti's (pizza/sandwiches) is a few blocks away. There is a place called Plaza Bistro that is really close and is outdoors only...I've never been there but it looks interesting. Casablanca Cafe is very good and is about a mile away. S3 is also very good and is about 6 blocks away (they serve mostly tapas, you need a reservation or you can eat at the bar or in the lounge). Beauty and the Feast is about 4 blocks away and is very good, upscale and a fun vibe.

Edited by royalcruz

I am staying at Hyatt Place Convention center. I booked my transportation but they not starting pick ups until 11. I'm shipping out on carnival and I bought faster to the fun, Any transportation recommendation that will get me before 11? I prefer to be at port at 11, not leave after 11.

If you had to choose between Fairfield Inn in Dania Beach and the Hampton Inn las olas for a park, stay and cruise which would you choose and why?

Thanks,

Cheryl

I would choose Hampton Las Olas (it isn't really in the Las Olas area but it's very close). They have garage parking and it is downtown which is a fun place to go to get dinner. Fairfield probably has bigger suites though.