Recently back from first time on Prinsendam

dawei

In a word, we loved it! The Africa and Med Grande Voyage was our first time on the Prinsendam and by far our longest cruise --54 days (27 ports). Our longest prior cruise had been 14 days.

As for the ship, the future cruise consultant on board observed that people either love her or hate her. In my view, this ship is a gem despite her age.

During a Deck 4 kitchen tour I learned that her provision area is much larger than those on newer ships which allows Prinsendam to carry enough provisions for four or five weeks at sea (excluding fresh produce ). Another feature that sets this ship apart is her large, fairly extensive library--also great for long cruises.

Bad weather had a delightful outcome at one point. Sailing from Mahon, Menorca toward Monaco, the captain announced that rough seas would not allow us to tender at Monte Carlo. So, after consultation with Seattle, it was decided that instead of Monaco we would turn east and head for Genova (Genoa), Italy where last minute docking arrangements had been made. What a delightful, historic city! It is perhaps best known as the birthplace of Chris Colombus. In my view, Genoa deserves to be considered by Seattle when setting up future itineraries.

The crew and staff members were great, going above and beyond the expected in providing typical HAL hospitality. A farewell session in the showroom featured a very funny 20-minute video clandestinely recorded after hours and featuring almost every department on the ship. Happily, copies of the video were then made available to passengers.

As you can imagine, there's lots more that made this cruise memorable, but I will stop here.

David

So happy you enjoyed your cruise on the loveliest little ship in the fleet.

Who was the Future Cruise Consultant when you were on? Just curious if it might be the same one when I board.

Total agreement about Genoa. It is a hidden gem and was the departure port for my own first world cruise, way back in 1977. Happy you had such a great cruise and a really long one too, in order to get maximum benefit from this unique ship.

We loved the flexibility of the Prinsendam too - last minute changes to take a scenic detour, get to port earlier for an unexpected overnight and ability to pick another one entirely when the weather kicked up.

Thanks for reporting and looking forward to reading more.

So happy you enjoyed your cruise on the loveliest little ship in the fleet.

Who was the Future Cruise Consultant when you were on? Just curious if it might be the same one when I board.

Future Cruise Consultant was Annette Kvamme-Leijen.