Queens Grill Penthouse Mini Bar/wine packages

John117

I have cruise booked on Queen Victoria later this year and it will be my first cruise with Cunard. I have previously cruised with Regent, Silversea and Seabourn but wanted to try something different.

So cruising where all the drinks are not included is a new concept for me and I have been trying to find out what options I have. I think I have the wine package sorted for when I board but I am not clear if I have to choose my preferred wines in advance or just pay for the package and choose on the day? Has anyone experienced a wine package?

Also I am not clear what the in suite mini bar will provide - the Cunard web site says "two bottles of wine or spirits" - does this mean two bottles of spirits? When I search the FAQs it says 2 bottles of wine or 1 bottle of spirits? My wife and have different preferences so one bottle of spirits will be a problem? What have regular cruisers on Cunard discovered?

Finally I have seen a review on You Tube which says the mini bar is stocked with beer? Again the Cunard FAQs state what is in the mini bar and no beer is included?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

You will get 1 x 1 litre bottle of spirits per person chosen from a list in your suite on you arrival and will be delivered by your butler either later that day or the next day. With regards to the mini bar/refrigerator it will be stocked with coke/ 7up/ tonic water/bottled water and a lager which will be replenished daily as used.

You will get 1 x 1 litre bottle of spirits per person chosen from a list in your suite on you arrival and will be delivered by your butler either later that day or the next day. With regards to the mini bar/refrigerator it will be stocked with coke/ 7up/ tonic water/bottled water and a lager which will be replenished daily as used.

Just a comment: As a solo traveller I have always had the two bottles of spirits.

Trevor

Yes, it's 2 bottles of spirits. If you want something which isn't on the list, ask, we had Pimms last time.

There is canned beer in the fridge.

Not sure if this still applies as were only in a grill suite not a penthouse but we didnt even get the whisky that I ticked on the list that was in our suite on arrival. We never saw the butler until just before the lifeboat drill and didnt get the spirits until mid afternoon the next day. The only canned beer was Heineken and no actual bitter type beer.

Many thanks for the replies. 2 bottles will solve the problem!! The lager may come in handy if the spirits and wine become critical:D

I will organise the wine package on board to be able to fund it from the "on board credit".

Just need to organise some good weather now!!

Many thanks for the replies. 2 bottles will solve the problem!! The lager may come in handy if the spirits and wine become critical:D

I will organise the wine package on board to be able to fund it from the "on board credit".

Just need to organise some good weather now!!

We've never yet reached critical with cabin supplies. When a bottle is finished, it's replaced although we've never yet manage to get through a bottle of spirits so others would have a more definite answer on that. The wine provided is acceptable. Nothing more than that. If you have any particular lager or beer preference, just ask your butler and if it's on-board, it will usually be provided for your fridge.

• 1 month later...

in our Q3 Penthouse on QE I opted for a Beafeater gin, and a nice Sauvignon Blanc. The default lager is canned Heineken (not my favourite!) When we returned to our cabin later to change our butler had swapped it for bottled Peroni (my favourite)- not only was the fridge filled but an extra case was put in the cupboard. Heaven!!!!!!!!!

The gin and wine were replenished when necessary. (gin once, wine almost daily) What service!!!!!!

Edited by PandCAV
correction and minor addition

Many thanks for the additional replies. I wasn't aware that the wine would be replenished as the brochure reads as though that is limited to two bottles also. This could influence which wine package I choose - I do like wine with my dinner so I will have a package to cover that at least. I wonder if the generosity in providing additional bottles varies by which suite/ butler you have? Has anyone else had such favourable supplies of wine and beer? I prefer one of the "ales" so I will ask the butler to exchange this for the Heineken if possible.

The beer (Heineken) was replaced as used in the fridge but as we only drank 2 cans over the duration of the whole cruise. The spirits list left for you to choose your 1 litre per person from wasnt very comprehensive and was all the cheaper well known makes and no brandy. Do not know if it is a recent change, we cruised in October on QE, or because we were in a Q6 but once our choice was drunk it was not replaced.

The beer (Heineken) was replaced as used in the fridge but as we only drank 2 cans over the duration of the whole cruise. The spirits list left for you to choose your 1 litre per person from wasnt very comprehensive and was all the cheaper well known makes and no brandy. Do not know if it is a recent change, we cruised in October on QE, or because we were in a Q6 but once our choice was drunk it was not replaced.

Did you offend your butler or convince him/her you weren't interested in the free hooch? (you've mentioned elsewhere that you didn't get your spirits until Day 2 which suggests a bit of an issue). Also you can write in requests on the order form for specific brands or types of drink not listed and you'll usually get them, and you can ask for specific drinks/brands for the minibar, e.g. Diet Coke instead of full-fat Pepsi, or alternative beers.

On our cruise in December our butler must have decided we weren't drinking fast enough: he gave us spirits order forms before we finished the previous bottles. Perhaps he was comparing us with our next door neighbours who kept him busy restocking spirits every couple of days as they didn't drink in the bars very often.

Note to John117: despite Cunard's vague wording wine will be replenished, but like the other drinks it's intended for in-cabin consumption only.

Did you offend your butler or convince him/her you weren't interested in the free hooch? (you've mentioned elsewhere that you didn't get your spirits until Day 2 which suggests a bit of an issue). Also you can write in requests on the order form for specific brands or types of drink not listed and you'll usually get them, and you can ask for specific drinks/brands for the minibar, e.g. Diet Coke instead of full-fat Pepsi, or alternative beers.

On our cruise in December our butler must have decided we weren't drinking fast enough: he gave us spirits order forms before we finished the previous bottles. Perhaps he was comparing us with our next door neighbours who kept him busy restocking spirits every couple of days as they didn't drink in the bars very often.

Note to John117: despite Cunard's vague wording wine will be replenished, but like the other drinks it's intended for in-cabin consumption only.

Do not know what you mean by the statement "suggest a bit of an issue". When we arrived after a short while we had a visit from the assistant butler and he said the butler would be along soon. We unpacked and filled in the form that was left in our suite choosing what alcohol we wanted which we did and gave it to the butler when he introduced himself just prior to muster. The alcohol was delivered the next day, it was our first time on QG so I dont know what you mean that suggests there was an issue or even more so that I had insulted the butler which I find a very offensive comment for you to make.

We were on the QE in October and, as usual, ordered 1 x Grey Goose & 1 x Bombay, neither of which are on the list. They were delivered early evening along with a couple of dozen wee Heinekins that were stacked in the cupboard.

Both bottles were replaced before they were finished at no cost, and the stock of beers was kept up.

We even had a late morning :)cocktail party and our butler arranged canapes and snacks, along with extra beers and soft drinks including orange for the Bucks Fizz. Very successful.

Like Trigger said, we have a saying: look after your butler.

Stewart

Do not know what you mean by the statement "suggest a bit of an issue". When we arrived after a short while we had a visit from the assistant butler and he said the butler would be along soon. We unpacked and filled in the form that was left in our suite choosing what alcohol we wanted which we did and gave it to the butler when he introduced himself just prior to muster. The alcohol was delivered the next day, it was our first time on QG so I dont know what you mean that suggests there was an issue or even more so that I had insulted the butler which I find a very offensive comment for you to make.

Sorry, I missed out the smiley. You did have a bit of an issue though, your butler had an off day otherwise you'd have got your drinks on embarkation day which appears to be the norm - ours materialised while we were out exploring before we changed for dinner on the first night.

Our cruise was our first on Cunard, let alone QG, but there's a great deal of information on this forum about QG amenities. Between the info here and the info on Cunard's FAQ I had a pretty good idea of what level of service to expect, and what extras I could ask for both from our butler and in the restaurant.

We were on the QE in October and, as usual, ordered 1 x Grey Goose & 1 x Bombay, neither of which are on the list. They were delivered early evening along with a couple of dozen wee Heinekins that were stacked in the cupboard.

Both bottles were replaced before they were finished at no cost, and the stock of beers was kept up.

We even had a late morning :)cocktail party and our butler arranged canapes and snacks, along with extra beers and soft drinks including orange for the Bucks Fizz. Very successful.

Like Trigger said, we have a saying: look after your butler.

Stewart

We were on QE in October and sounds as if we had a below par butler but being our first time in QG didnt know any difference. We asked about brandy as it was not on the list and was told no so ticked the whisky forgetting the brand but it was not the one that was delivered to our suite we had Famous Grouse and at most we had 2 or 3 cans of Heineken in the fridge and when I drunk 2 on different days they were replaced but nothing extra. The only thing he seemed keen on leaving was bottles of water and I think at one time we had 4 litre bottles lined up.

We were on QE in October and sounds as if we had a below par butler but being our first time in QG didnt know any difference. We asked about brandy as it was not on the list and was told no so ticked the whisky forgetting the brand but it was not the one that was delivered to our suite we had Famous Grouse and at most we had 2 or 3 cans of Heineken in the fridge and when I drunk 2 on different days they were replaced but nothing extra. The only thing he seemed keen on leaving was bottles of water and I think at one time we had 4 litre bottles lined up.

Some butlers are really great with initiative but with some you have to be a little more demanding. I rarely have the brands that are on the list and have never been refused.

Lemon slices, lime slices delivered for the Gin & Vodka and a good stock of tonics.

Same sort of service whether I'm in a Q1 or a Q6 - ask nicely and you should be able to obtain what you require.

Some butlers are really great with initiative but with some you have to be a little more demanding. I rarely have the brands that are on the list and have never been refused.

Lemon slices, lime slices delivered for the Gin & Vodka and a good stock of tonics.

Same sort of service whether I'm in a Q1 or a Q6 - ask nicely and you should be able to obtain what you require.

We had a bottle of Vodka as one of our choices and we didnt have lime or lemon slices but it is in the past now and even though disappointing that we didnt get the service that perhaps we should have got especially having paid £6000 for a 12nt cruise for the 2 of us. It was a special anniversary cruise so very much doubt we will be booking a QG suite again. It is disappointing that you dont get the service that you should without having to ask especially when you are first timers in QG and whether your butler is good at his job or not.