VC, VD, and VE Verandah Categories on the Koningsdam

stickey_mouse

You are correct. HAL determines which staterooms are "most desirable" and starts with "V" and goes from there. Rooms highest and furthest fore and aft will be the "VF" category. The exception to this general rule are the obstructed "VH" rooms on Deck 4 which have a great view of the lifeboats.

We have been in "V" , "VA" , "VD", and "VE" and liked them all just fine. We prefer Deck 7 or 8, port side, close to the aft elevators. If on deck 8, keep in mind what is above you on Deck 9 (Lido). Try not to have a deck 8 room under the decking around the Lido or Ocean View pool areas as it can get noisy from loungers being moved around.

As a rule of thumb, each step down from a "V" should get you about a 30.00 pp fare reduction.

The K'dam is a beautiful ship and you will have a great time.

We were in cabin 4020 (forward) with zero obstruction and a huge balcony (appeared to be more than twice the size of a standard balcony). We loved this cabin! We did not feel any more motion of the ocean than in other locations. The railing is metal instead of plexiglass, so this is considered "obstructed view" but it had no impact on our enjoyment of the balcony. The cabin next door with the plexiglass was $600.00 per person more! There are no fully obstructed views on deck 4. The lifeboats are on deck 3 so the VH cabins on deck four look down on the tops of the lifeboats. The view straight out is not impaired. The forward cabins have no lifeboats below.

"Steer clear" of them? Heck NO, we prefer deck 7 or 8 VD/VE/VF. IMO the only things that makes the deck 5 and 6 V and VA "more desirable" are less motion and less walking on average than high and far forward or aft cabins. See http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/7019-koningsdam/ and http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/8138-koningsdam/

We have done a V, VC, and a VD all on the Koningsdam. The cabins were identical. Some people say there is more motion fore and aft, but we have never had any issues. Both DH and I feel the Koningsdam is the most stable ship we have sailed on. We did 2 transatlantic cruises on her and felt hardly any motion. I would gladly stay in any of those cabins again.

We have done a V, VC, and a VD all on the Koningsdam. The cabins were identical. Some people say there is more motion fore and aft, but we have never had any issues. Both DH and I feel the Koningsdam is the most stable ship we have sailed on. We did 2 transatlantic cruises on her and felt hardly any motion. I would gladly stay in any of those cabins again.
Funny, my DH and I were just saying the same thing! Sailing on Kdam was so smooth. We were in a cabin quite forward and it felt like we weren't even moving! Love this ship!

There was no motion in our VE forward however I would steer clear of 7009. It was classified as unobstructed but it most definitely was... due to the navigation bridge equipment hanging in our line of sight. You also have to keep your drapes closed at night if that's something which would bother you. They should definitely downgrade those cabins on port and starboard. My parents had a verandah (can't recall the category) on Deck 5 and they were identical. Only they had a better view. lol

Edited by *Miss G*

Are the VH cabins much different size wise and the way they are laid out, other than the fact the lifeboats are more noticeable from the balcony?
They are identical in size and layout. The VH cabins on deck 4 have lifeboats below, so they do not impede your view straight out to the ocean, only if you look down.

The lifeboats are on deck 3 so the VH cabins on deck four look down on the tops of the lifeboats. The view straight out is not impaired.
The VH cabins on deck 4 have lifeboats below, so they do not impede your view straight out to the ocean, only if you look down.
I would say that the lifeboats are in front of the balconies rather than below them, and that they do impede the view considerably. The tops of the lifeboats are almost level with the railings and the davits stick up higher. See the pics for cabins 4093, 4061, and 4052 at halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/ Edited by catl331

We were on deck 6, and from what I could see, the staterooms that were on the "bump-out" (unimpeded by views down of the lifeboats) had the bed closer to the verandah, while the rooms in the "indent" (over the lifeboats) had the sitting area closer to the verandah. I don't know if that was the same on all the decks.

We are only interested in the fact that there is balcony and light. DW is not incline to spend much time on one, since she would rather be out and about the ship somewhere. It is TA cruise, so the view is going to be of the ocean, so no big deal, just somewhere sit and relax (for me).

Funny, my DH and I were just saying the same thing! Sailing on Kdam was so smooth. We were in a cabin quite forward and it felt like we weren't even moving! Love this ship!

Funny. We were actually kind of disappointed with the lack of motion. But I agree with you, we love this ship too.

• 2 months later...

We now have around 16 VC and VD staterooms booked on deck 6, forward (8 on each side of the elevator). We hope to open up the balcony divider flaps to get some sense of connected rooms. Hopefully the ship doesn't toss and turn too much up there! Does the Mediterranean tend to be more or less violent than the Caribbean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for posting this, we have a guarantee VF and new to HAL I hadn't realised these could have the metal balcony. Good to hear that it had no impact as I was a bit concerned about any obstruction.

We were in cabin 4020 (forward) with zero obstruction and a huge balcony (appeared to be more than twice the size of a standard balcony). We loved this cabin! We did not feel any more motion of the ocean than in other locations. The railing is metal instead of plexiglass, so this is considered "obstructed view" but it had no impact on our enjoyment of the balcony. The cabin next door with the plexiglass was $600.00 per person more! There are no fully obstructed views on deck 4. The lifeboats are on deck 3 so the VH cabins on deck four look down on the tops of the lifeboats. The view straight out is not impaired. The forward cabins have no lifeboats below.