Detailed Photo Review of Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise 3/4/18

deladane

Are you using your FishEye lens on your Olympus Tigi5 for these marvelous underwater photos?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was using my TG-5 but not the fisheye lens. I try to avoid using it in rough water because I am paranoid that it may fall off (although I'm sure that won't happen as it is on there pretty securely, I just don't want to take the risk). These were all taken just using the TG-5 as is, in the underwater mode.

39230629440_09b76b8713_c.jpg

Day 10: Saturday, March 10 ~ Barbados

(Eddy’s pronunciation: BAR – bah – dose)

This was my third visit to Barbados and my third trip to the Boatyard Beach Club at Carlisle Bay. It is such a pretty beach with powder-soft white sand, turquoise blue water, and it is close to the cruise port, making it an easy and enjoyable plan for the day. They have a package where $20 USD buys you a lounge chair, a shared umbrella, a cup of rum punch or a beer, use of their bathrooms, use of their water toys on the beach, and free wifi. They also have a bar and restaurant with decent prices if you want to buy lunch. One thing that has changed since our last visit here 3 years ago is that they now also include a short boat ride out to the bay to go snorkeling, whereas we used to have to pay for that separately with a vendor on the beach. We had a not-so-great experience with that last time we were here (see my Carnival Valor review for more details!), so we were happy to have it included with admission this time. The $20 also includes a taxi ride back to the port at the end of the day, but you need to find your own way there in the morning. They open at 9am, so my goal was to leave the ship by 8:30am to get a taxi and arrive there just as they opened so we would get lounge chairs in a prime location.

Today’s daily schedules:

39230629080_f5894b3f0f_c.jpg

40330642684_b0a6e60990_c.jpg

39230628390_7c76dca9ac_c.jpg

40997360192_cbddea04d6_c.jpg

As usual, we started our day with room service breakfast on the balcony.

39230627690_9d27d8a2bc_c.jpg

Hi Dana - You just answered a question I had about the Boatyard as we were unable to get in. At least we weren't able to get a lounge chair at the beach. I was wondering what you got for the $20. I might have tried the snorkelling, but not too sure. Your first snorkelling trip on this cruise looked a little scary. I do like that underwater camera that you have. That fish ey lens is pretty cool addition. Looking forward to more underwater photos and recommendations for shore/water excursions on the rest of your cruise. We are visiting some of those islands in 2020.

Maris

Thanks for the camera info Dana. We did this cruise Dec 2017 (loved it) but weren’t satisfied with our underwater camera. Going to look hard at this Olympus for Hawaii next year. Great pictures.

Hi Dana - You just answered a question I had about the Boatyard as we were unable to get in. At least we weren't able to get a lounge chair at the beach. I was wondering what you got for the $20. I might have tried the snorkelling, but not too sure. Your first snorkelling trip on this cruise looked a little scary. I do like that underwater camera that you have. That fish ey lens is pretty cool addition. Looking forward to more underwater photos and recommendations for shore/water excursions on the rest of your cruise. We are visiting some of those islands in 2020.

Maris

I have been reading along with your review and I saw you ask that question about what's included with the Boatyard. I nearly said "read my latest post in my review" but I know you've been reading along so I figured you'd find it eventually haha I can't believe you guys walked all the way there! Between the heat and humidity, and the locals pestering you for a taxi or a tour, I can't imagine it was that relaxing of a walk. The $5 per person we paid for a taxi was totally worth it haha

Thanks for the camera info Dana. We did this cruise Dec 2017 (loved it) but weren’t satisfied with our underwater camera. Going to look hard at this Olympus for Hawaii next year. Great pictures.

I have been very happy with my camera :) I think it was worth the investment, especially since I had two big cruises coming up when I bought it last summer.

40330631534_5752c5da16_c.jpg

41039072831_d9c4d14233_c.jpg

40330631134_f53130e42d_c.jpg

40330630254_3269d1d18b_c.jpg

I stayed out in the water for 15 minutes, and then went back on the boat to save some energy to swim with the turtles. The guides never told us how long we would stay at this location (and shame on me for forgetting to ask!). It turned out that I could have stayed in the water an extra 15 minutes so I only did half the snorkeling time. That’s okay, we are still going to the other snorkel spot with the turtles, right? Wrong! Once everyone was on board, the guide said we were heading back to the Boatyard. I asked him if we were going to snorkel with the turtles and he said there have not been any turtles in Carlisle Bay for over a week so we were just doing the one snorkel stop today. I understand that the guides probably assume we are all first timers to this our and didn’t know anything was missing, but there was a sign posted at the entrance to the Boatyard which mentioned snorkeling with turtles and when DH signed us up for the our, they told him it is not guaranteed we will see a turtle. That implies that we will TRY to see it, but the guides indicated we were not going to try because it had been so windy all week that there were no turtles in the bay. If that is the case, it would have been nice for someone to tell us that upfront so we would know what to expect. I wasn’t even that upset about missing the turtles… after all, this isn’t a zoo and the turtles are free to come and go from the bay as they please! I was really just bothered by the poor communication. I like to be kept informed so I can make my decisions accordingly, and I would have stayed in the water to explore the ship wreck longer had I known this was our only stop.

Anyway, we got back to the pier at 10:55am and the next group was already lined up to take their tour. I guess they try to make it an efficient process to get guests out to snorkel quickly. From the pier, I could see the cruise ships docked in the distance.

40330629904_84d98f1210_c.jpg

There is also a great view of the Boatyard and the neighboring restaurants and beach clubs. The yellow umbrellas are all part of the Boatyard.

40146134295_e786824ee0_c.jpg

40330629504_b94ae542ac_c.jpg

40330629134_d6e7d4e905_c.jpg

40146133555_156b537168_c.jpg

40330628784_5da38a575b_c.jpg

Every lounge chair is occupied by 11:15am so you have to arrive early if you want a seat!

40146132945_b1cbb33a1b_c.jpg

41039070771_651c8ec14d_c.jpg

I also wanted to point out those 3 brightly colored Adirondack chairs in front of all the loungers. Those are a new addition since I was last here 3 years ago and they seem to be a big annoyance. When we first arrived this morning, nearly every seat in the front row was occupied, except the seats directly behind those chairs! They have these chairs on the other side of the pier too, and those were also the only vacant seats in the front row on that side. We were lucky to get a spot 3 umbrellas over (you can see our spot if you look closely- it’s the 2 vacant chairs to the left of the Adirondack chairs, with grey towels and my bright teal beach bag on the seat). Notice how there is more space between the sets of lounge chairs that are behind the Adirondack chairs? That’s because the people on either side moved closer to their neighbors so the Adirondacks don’t block their view! I guess these chairs look cute and beachy, but they sure do cause an annoyance to people wanting front row seats with unobstructed views of the beach and water!

Great photos, brings back memories. We always go to Lobster’s Alive, the beach bar next to the Boatyard, the one in your photo with the Blue building. Far better with large quality umbrellas and only $15/couple compared to $40 at the Boatyard.

Great photos - what camera did you use for the underwater shots?

Thanks! Every photo for this review was taken with my Olympus TG-5.

Great photos, brings back memories. We always go to Lobster’s Alive, the beach bar next to the Boatyard, the one in your photo with the Blue building. Far better with large quality umbrellas and only $15/couple compared to $40 at the Boatyard.

I have considered changing it up since this was my third time at the Boatyard, but we like all the things they offer and it's nice to have one day that involves zero planning since we've done it before. Not sure when we will be back in Barbados, but I should probably consider other options at that time, just to see what else is out there :) I know there are several options along Carlisle Bay, which means they all get the same beautiful view!

40330628444_8bf4c0a298_c.jpg

My hair was a mess after coming back from snorkeling, so I went to dunk my head under water really quickly. I was holding my camera at eye level to take this photo- notice how close I was to the water line? There is a steep drop off not to far into the water so just be careful not to lose your footing! No need for water shoes here- there is nothing but soft sand on the floor of the bay.

40330628044_c6f4dcf355_c.jpg

As evidenced in the photos above, our bags were waiting for us back at our lounge chairs when we got back from snorkeling. Unfortunately, the other thing waiting for us was the wind!! It was very windy the whole day and the waves were quite loud crashing in on the shore. Usually the water is very calm here, but not today! Much like we saw in St. Maarten, people kept getting knocked around by the waves. At least it was entertaining to watch them from our front row seats haha

At around 12:30pm, we started to get hungry. We always bring a few Clif Bars into ports with us because they are filled with protein to fill us up, and they meet the requirements of being pre-packaged food that is safe to enter a foreign country. Today, we decided to try something new and we ordered food from the restaurant. We have never tried flying fish and I have read that people really like it so we ordered the Flying Fish Fingers and Fries appetizer to share.

40146132575_6858d70789_c.jpg

40330627734_d93c1bc9e8_c.jpg

DH placed the order at the bar and they told him to pick it up from the counter when his name was called. They said it would take 30 to 45 minutes for our order to be ready, so we used this opportunity to redeem our free drink coupons. I ordered the Shark Bite (left) and DH ordered the Pirate’s Punch (right), and both were strong and tasty. We brought them over to one of the tables at the restaurant and waited for our food order to be called.

40330627604_465df7366d_c.jpg

Sure enough, it really did take 45 minutes for our food to be ready! I guess they needed time to go out into the bay to catch the fish fresh for us?? The portion was a bit on the small side, but it was very good and I’m glad I tried it.

40330627454_2469c7e57d_c.jpg

We returned to our lounge chairs to enjoy the rest of the afternoon at the beach. This isn’t exactly a calm and relaxing beach because they play loud, upbeat pop and hip hop music in the background, but I enjoy the fun vibe here. At some point, DH went up to the pier to use the rope swing, but I didn’t join him because I was too comfortable sitting in my lounge chair. I was so lazy that I didn’t even take any more photos here for the rest of the day! To be fair, this was my third visit here and not much has changed in the last 6 years, so I guess I just didn’t feel that inspired.

At around 2:30pm, we decided it was time to head back to the ship. When we got to the front parking lot, they immediately directed us to one of the waiting taxis with another couple. I think the first shuttle back leaves around 11:30 or noon, and then the shuttles run every 15 minutes or so for the rest of the day, so there is never much of a wait. The ride only takes about 10 minutes, and they dropped us off at the front of the cruise terminal. We walked passed all the shops and exited at the other end to find a nearly-full shuttle bus that was about to leave. Perfect timing! It was standing room only, but we didn’t mind standing for the 2 minute ride back to the ship, considering that saved us 20 minutes of walking!

Once we were back on the ship, we went upstairs to the Solarium to spend 20 minutes soaking in the hot tub. There were a few people in there already when we arrived, and they were still in there when we got out. I always thought you aren’t supposed to sit in a hot tub for too long, and the water actually was quite hot, so it seemed weird to me that these people were spending so much time sitting there, but I guess it’s not for me to judge!

Neither of us was feeling 100 percent tonight. I’m not sure if it was a little sea sickness from the boat rocking so much, or maybe it was dehydration, but we both just felt off. Instead of our usual routine of bar hopping before dinner, we decided to take it easy and relax in the cabin. For the first time ever, we spent a few hours watching TV! I watch tons of TV when I’m at home, but I have never spent any time watching TV on a cruise ship before! We found a marathon of Property Brothers running on HGTV, so that was the perfect way to pass the time until we had enough energy to go downstairs for dinner. I was kind of bummed that I didn’t feel well tonight because this was another new menu for us and I was really looking forward to trying some of the new dishes! The first appetizer on the list was Hawaiian Tuna Poke. In the last year or two, poke bowl restaurants have popped up all over San Jose and it is one of our favorite dinners, so I was really looking forward to trying Celebrity’s version.

Tonight’s menu:

40330626814_61787ff445_c.jpg

Poached Anjou Pear and Gorganzola Cheese

41039069231_07f5c54037_c.jpg

Hawaiian Tuna Poke (this was delicious and had I had more of an appetite, I would have asked for a second round of it!)

40330626364_2ecb8d7b5a_c.jpg

Pappardelle Con Funghi

26168451177_8048c802a9_c.jpg

I am still disappointed that I didn’t have more of an appetite that night because I would have loved to try the pate and the lamb kebab, but I guess that’s a good excuse to take another cruise! In the end, I only had room for my 2 appetizers and about half of my entrée, so I definitely didn’t have room for dessert. We finished eating rather quickly since we didn’t order as many courses as we usually do, so we just wondered around the ship to walk off the meal. They have this funky wall sculpture back near the entrance to the Ensemble Lounge, and we thought it made a nice background for a photo.

40330626084_42b4083069_c.jpg

41039068561_707f2181ea_c.jpg

I really like this piece that is located next to Qsine. It reminds me of origami…

40330625344_144f0e0082_c.jpg

The Wine Cellar was almost always empty. I liked the décor in here but we never spent much time here because it was always deserted and boring. It does make for a pretty place to take photos though!

41039068261_072c7facaf_c.jpg

41039067971_1441f2546c_c.jpg

Tonight’s show was a solo performer named Liam Ryder. We thought he was a very talented pianist, and a pretty good singer. He played a few classical music pieces, and a few rock and roll songs.

40146129015_817bf3fdeb_c.jpg

My favorite part was when he played the full version of The Flight of the Bumble Bee and played a cartoon that was perfectly synced to it. I was able to find the cartoon on Youtube so you can see what I am talking about. Imagine seeing this live with the cartoon playing on a big screen at the back of the stage, and a pianist playing the music perfectly synced to the cartoon. I can’t really give him credit for the cartoon itself, but seeing him keep up with the music was absolutely incredible to watch in person.

After the show, we were feeling much better so we went over to Café Al Bacio for dessert. The cakes in that display case always look so yummy, and since we skipped dessert after dinner, we thought this was a good opportunity to finally try it out. DH had the coconut cake, and I had a slice of strawberry chiffon cake. Honestly, both were just okay and they looked a lot better than they tasted. Maybe it just wasn’t sweet enough for me?

41039067701_8c1cd389a3_c.jpg

Tonight was one of the theme parties up in the Sky Lounge, so we headed up there to check it out. The Eclipse Orchestra performed songs from the Big Band era while the performance dancers danced to it.

40146128465_195e0f933d_c.jpg

The Sky Lounge has a terrible set up for a show like this where everyone wants to see the dance floor. The chairs and banquets are positioned poorly and block your view, and there are thick support beams surrounding the dance floor area. There are very few seats offering a good view, so people end up standing around the perimeter of the dance floor, just behind the first row of chairs, and that blocks everyone else’s view. We had to keep asking people to move so we could see the show from where we were sitting, and it made for a frustrating experience. We stayed for about 20 minutes, then gave up and grabbed a quick snack at the buffet before going to sleep just before midnight.

Step Tracker Daily Total: 7,632 steps; 3.060 miles

Hello.

We're on the Eclipse in South America next year, so I'm subscribing. I also do Celebrity to the Caribbean with my sister each year, so that info might be valuable too.

Dana, you do write a great review and your pictures are awesome. Well done, neighbor (we live in Mountain View).

You must love to pose with your hands on your hips, & I admit I like it. Just kidding, love your blog.

george35

haha yes, there is a running joke with my family about me posing like that in all of my photos. I just think it makes my arms look thinner and it's a flattering pose for me :) Thanks for following!

Hello.

We're on the Eclipse in South America next year, so I'm subscribing. I also do Celebrity to the Caribbean with my sister each year, so that info might be valuable too.

Dana, you do write a great review and your pictures are awesome. Well done, neighbor (we live in Mountain View).

Hi Neighbor! Hope you're staying warm this weekend :) A cruise around South America sounds fabulous!! Thanks for reading :cool: